ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Emma Williams
Newly Registered
Wales

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Emma Williams » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Sulla wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:49 pm
Emma Williams wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:34 pm
Both me and my cousin have applied to be placed onto the FBR. He applied in April of this year, and because I have no patience to wait for the certificates to come back, I bought copies and sent off my own application. Does anyone know if this could cause issues in Dublin (i.e two applications, two sets of certificates for the same grandparent)?.
Hi Emma,

There will be no issues caused by the situation that you describe. There have been several other cases where people have applied separately for FBR with the same ancestor and at the same time. Use of certified copies / originals for certificates is also not an issue as they are interchangeable.
You could have put together a combined application that used the same certificates, but that is just an option. What you have done is fine.
Hi Sulla,

thanks for putting my mind at rest!

KHC7968CZ
Newly Registered

Post by KHC7968CZ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Dear All,

I called the DFA today to see if my certificate and documents had been posted yet and received the below reply;

Dear [NAME],
In reply to your enquiry about the FBR certificate, my understanding is the current printing lag is 3 weeks, plus another week for posting to the UK. I will update you if this changes.
Yours Sincerely,
[NAME]
DFA

I'll post again when my documents finally arrive!

edwards02
Newly Registered

Post by edwards02 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi all!

I used to be on a previous thread regarding fbr but I guess it must have been taken down. Here is my timeline:

1st October 2018 - applied in person at the Edinburgh embassy where all of my documents were checked and my original documents were copied, notarised and verified by the lady there. Was told I wouldn’t here anything until I got it and that everything I had given them was enough. So kept my original documents.

29th March - email received saying dfa had “received” my application. Despite it being 6 months since I had sent it.

Today 30th September - received an email saying they required documents from me. A big long list of everything I had given them already except in the original form which I was told by the lady at the Edinburgh embassy they didn’t need. And that I should keep so that other family members could apply.

I am absolutely furious by this as I have waited a year for this and to be told that my application is incorrect, I am very upset. Clearly there has been some mix up so I’m hoping that they will rectify it ASAP. In the email I was told to send the documents within 28 days but I emailed back to explain what I was told at the Edinburgh embassy, fingers crossed.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Good luck to you all.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 am

Cooter wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:17 pm
Anyone have info on what is acceptable for photo for passport

Official website says it must include upper torso and shoulders

official template in Tesco (uk) says just face required

Are they strict with photos ?

Photo booths in uk just covers face only
For me, it was face, neck and the tops of my shoulders only. Not upper torso. The (crew neck) collar of the sweater I was wearing is visible in both the bottom corners . However, the entirety of the collar line is not shown. At the bottom center, the collar line dips out of the captured image.

This image was taken by the photographer recommenced by the embassy and located nearby. No issues were encountered in obtaining the passport using them.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:49 am

edwards02 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 pm
Hi all!

I used to be on a previous thread regarding fbr but I guess it must have been taken down. Here is my timeline:

1st October 2018 - applied in person at the Edinburgh embassy where all of my documents were checked and my original documents were copied, notarised and verified by the lady there. Was told I wouldn’t here anything until I got it and that everything I had given them was enough. So kept my original documents.

29th March - email received saying dfa had “received” my application. Despite it being 6 months since I had sent it.

Today 30th September - received an email saying they required documents from me. A big long list of everything I had given them already except in the original form which I was told by the lady at the Edinburgh embassy they didn’t need. And that I should keep so that other family members could apply.

I am absolutely furious by this as I have waited a year for this and to be told that my application is incorrect, I am very upset. Clearly there has been some mix up so I’m hoping that they will rectify it ASAP. In the email I was told to send the documents within 28 days but I emailed back to explain what I was told at the Edinburgh embassy, fingers crossed.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Good luck to you all.
The FBR section require all documents in original or certified copy form. If you were wrongly advised by consulate staff in Edinburgh that is terrible and I am sorry for you. Do you have that advice in writing?

It is probable that you will have to end up supplying all the certified copies to the FBR section. I hope you have them to hand and can thus avoid much of a further delay.

Billy Hicks
Newly Registered

Post by Billy Hicks » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am

Billy Hicks wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 am
Billy Hicks wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am
Billy Hicks wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:11 am
Sent off documents in September 2018 (not sure of the exact date but about this time a year ago). Application received on January 14th 2019, so looks like I have a few more months to wait.

My slight worry is that my British passport (scanned in for application) has since expired and been renewed, so I hope that doesn't affect the application too much.
And today (24/9/19) I got a confirmation of address email, which was a nice surprise - on my birthday as well!
Congratulations email sent this morning (25/9/19) confirming I am now an Irish citizen - hope the certificate doesn't take too long to arrive now and I can start the passport process soon. My cousin also wants to join the FBR so some of these documents will probably be used again very soon!

Saturday marks six years since the passing of my grandfather who made this all possible. I'm sad he's not around for this, but at least I still have Irish friends and family who happily are.
...and despite the confirmation email saying it will take "2-3 weeks", my certificate and documents arrived first thing yesterday morning (30/9/19), just five days after the email. Date of FBR entry is 25/9/19, the day after my birthday.

The passport application form was included so now to find someone to witness it ASAP so I can submit it - hoping to travel mid-late November!

accountname
Newly Registered

Post by accountname » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:51 am

Got a confirmation of address email today! Wasn't expecting much for at least a couple more months!

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi Sulla,
The date on my FBR Certificate is September 9th.
Congratulations to all those who have received their Certificates and Good Luck to all those waiting for approval!
Best Regards,
Liam

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Any ideas on how long the passport process is taking for first time applications from Canada or North America with the FBR cert?

Thanks

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 pm

upliam wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi Sulla,
Congratulations to all those who have received their Certificates and Good Luck to all those waiting for approval!
Best Regards,
Liam

Congratulations!! Tell my nephews I said
Hello!!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Hello everyone,

Any ideas on how long the passport process is taking for first time applications from Canada or North America with the FBR cert?

Thanks
As a matter of fact.. I just got my passport today.

US applicant..

Here is my final timeline...

FBR application received Aug 20, 2018 (Fedex Tracking)

Email confirmation of application received at St Stephens Green (old address) on Aug 21, 2018 “received on Aug 21, 2018” (Different than FedEx tracking)

Email notification of entry into FBR June 7, 2019 (same date of FBR Cert) “certificate awaiting printing, 2-3 weeks for delivery”

FBR and supporting documents received June 22, 2019. (Signature required)

Passport application hand delivered
July 5, 2019. Supporting documents verified, copied and originals handed back. “We do not need the originals, I will sign stating that I saw them myself- unless you want us to keep them- haha- here you go love, you are all set. Keep this number to track progress, It will
show up in the tracker eventually, may take awhile.”

Showed up in tracker / application received in Dublin Aug 22, 2019 (note: 1 year and 1 day after FBR application received in Dublin)
Expected issue date Oct 3, 2019

Dispatched date: Sept 20, 2019

Consulate phoned, notification of passport arrival Sept 30, 2019
Asked if I still wanted to pick up or shall they ship FedEx 2-day. I Opted to pick-up.

Consulate: “We open at 10:30am”

Me: “I will be there at 9:30 with my coffee waiting for you to unlock the door. Would you like a coffee or Tea yourself?”

Consulate: “No, I will already have one by then. Thank you.”

Travel to consulate to pick up passport Oct 1, 2019 arrival at 9:30am, wait 1 hour until opening. Asked to look at it and verify all information was correct, Signature not required.

— End —

BrexitIrishman
inactive
Ireland

Post by BrexitIrishman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Evening all,

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I've been waiting to find something like this since embarking on my journey to become another Brexit Irishman. Despite being raised for much of my childhood by my Irish grandmother, and visiting my family farm several times in Ireland as a kid, I only began to seriously consider my Irish roots since the Brexit crisis began. I had identified as half Irish in the past, but never really thought about citizenship or belonging etc until recently. Having spent several years pondering it now, and learning more about the shameful history of British - Irish relations & systemic oppression, I know where my loyalties lie going forward.

Anyway, here's my current timeline:

Documents sent direct to Dublin from UK & arrived April 14 2019.
Confirmation email stating documents had been received: April 29th.

Since then: Zip, nada. Cue me getting increasingly nervous as the Brexit deadline approaches (again!) & Watching my email inbox / letterbox with baited breath. Here's hoping I'm nearing the end of my wait (just passed the 5 month mark!).

Slán!

Anyway

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:12 pm

PD9 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:04 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 am
My grandmother was born in Cork, Ire and my grandfather in Aberdeen. I am hoping for Scottish independence, I would love to have a Scottish passport too!! I hear there might be another referendum because of Brexit and most of the Scottish voted to stay in the EU, your thoughts?
Hi Michael, in short Yes. Independence all the way for me. And hopefully you can get that passport! As there has been some unfortunate and negative comments since your reply; I’ll be sure to keep any other contributions relevant to topic. Best overall for this very informative and engaging thread. My mailbox is always open..Thanks.
Thanks!!

Unable to message you, you are a new user and do not have that ability yet. Ill check back and message you when you have that option.

Until then, May Sgt MacKenzie’s memory live on!

==link removed ===

Sorry if this is considered “off topic” haha

Gennart Meehan
Newly Registered

Post by Gennart Meehan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Sulla wrote:

October 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
GennartMeehan – received October 1st (London Embassy) / Pending (address confirmed) 19th September 2019

Certificate received October 1st 2019. Entered into FBR 20th September 2019

GM

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Gennart Meehan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:47 pm
Sulla wrote:

October 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
GennartMeehan – received October 1st (London Embassy) / Pending (address confirmed) 19th September 2019

Certificate received October 1st 2019. Entered into FBR 20th September 2019

GM
Thanks for the update. I just work with two dates. The date application received and date added to FBR. I hope I have these right as October 1st 2018 and September 20th 2019 in your case. Congratulations on getting the certificate.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:58 pm

upliam wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi Sulla,
Best Regards,
Liam
Thanks Liam. How is the passport application going? Quickly and without photo drama I hope.

DC2468
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by DC2468 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:26 pm

I've read through the whole thread and not found anything, so hoping someone can help.

My Father was born in Ireland
My sister and I were born in England and obtained our Irish passports last year
Our children (3 of mine and 2 of hers) are going to apply to go on the Foreign Birth Register

My daughter is 15 weeks pregnant and would like her application fast tracked. We intend to mark her application with this fact. She won't get her Maternity Certificate (MAT B1) until 20 weeks.

We are going to send all five applications together.

My questions are:
Would it be advisable to get a letter from Doctor/Midwife confirming pregnancy to send with application or would it be ok to send in a copy of the Maternity Certificate later?

If my daughter's application is fast tracked, would the other four applications be fast tracked as well?

Many thanks.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:11 am

DC2468 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:26 pm
I've read through the whole thread and not found anything, so hoping someone can help.

My Father was born in Ireland
My sister and I were born in England and obtained our Irish passports last year
Our children (3 of mine and 2 of hers) are going to apply to go on the Foreign Birth Register

My daughter is 15 weeks pregnant and would like her application fast tracked. We intend to mark her application with this fact. She won't get her Maternity Certificate (MAT B1) until 20 weeks.

We are going to send all five applications together.

My questions are:
Would it be advisable to get a letter from Doctor/Midwife confirming pregnancy to send with application or would it be ok to send in a copy of the Maternity Certificate later?

If my daughter's application is fast tracked, would the other four applications be fast tracked as well?

Many thanks.
I would suggest that your daughter obtain a letter from a doctor attesting to the pregnancy and due date on letter-headed paper from the relevant hospital. You can enclose a letter stating the situation with the maternity certificate. If it is required you will be contacted. In the meantime, it would be advisable to prepare it, pending such a request. You could also call the FBR section and ask about this.

I cannot see any reason why the other 4 applications would receive fast tracking treatment. The reason for fast tracking in the case of pregnancy is to avoid loss of citizenship by an infant. The expedition of the other 4 applications does not serve this purpose. If the five applications are making use of common certificates, then what I would imagine would happen would be that your daughter would be added to the FBR first (thus avoiding breaking the citizenship chain) and the supporting documents would be returned once the last application that is making use of the common document set has been fully processed. Thus, your daughter may meet some delay in receiving the physical FBR certificate or supporting documents back, but will still be safely on the FBR in advance of the birth.

These are just my opinions. I have not heard of such a case combining expedited and non-expedited applications before. If you need a more concrete answer you should definitely call the FBR section.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:00 am

joe1978 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 pm
Been reading these forums for ages but after waiting almost a year my address confirmation email arrived today. YES!!

I have moved house in the interim but still have the Royal Mail redirect in place so I get all my old address mail anyway until 24th October. If I advise of change of address will I delay things further? Should I just let it go to my previous address and keep shtum?
Ta
Joe
I would give them a call and tell them the new address to send it to. I had Royal Mail redirection and I don't think it included signed for/tracked mail - can't 100% recall and that might have been because it was international redirection but something for you to check just in case.

Only thing I didn't get back was the extra photos.

Congratulations to everyone who has received confirmation recently

costus
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by costus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:11 am

I just collected my FBR certificate on 20 September date of entry was 22 August 2019.
Today I submitted my passport application in Pretoria and was told will take 10 weeks.

cheeseontoast
Newly Registered

Post by cheeseontoast » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:54 am

Just had a phone call from Ireland (a Dublin number) asking me to confirm my address, which I obviously did. Clearly, the person didn't want to keep on the call too long but just enough time to confirm my application has been approved and I'll be on the FBR. Certificate to be sent shortly.

To say I'm relieved would be an understatement...

Anyway, my timeline is:

Sent 5th November 2018
Received email March 12th

Call to check address today.

Think my FBR twin is Mori68.

About 5 months earlier than I expected. Trouble is, not sure I'll be in when the certificate arrives (assume it's recorded). Does anyone know if it does come recorded?

Process clearly not over yet and I'll update more for others who are interested, but this forum has been a great help and Sulla's list very useful too.

Mori68
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mori68 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Well done FBR twin.

Hope I am imminent too :)

Billy Hicks
Newly Registered

Post by Billy Hicks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Sent off passport application at the Gloucester Road office in London today. Happily I didn't have to surrender my British passport for an indefinite amount of time as they made a certified copy there and then and returned it to me. If all is correct hoping to have it in 6-8 weeks!

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks

US applicant..

Email confirmation of application received at St Stephens Green (old address) on Aug 21, 2018 “received on Aug 21, 2018” (Different than FedEx tracking)

Email notification of entry into FBR June 7, 2019 (same date of FBR Cert) “certificate awaiting printing, 2-3 weeks for delivery”

July 5, 2019. Supporting documents verified, copied and originals handed back. “We do not need the originals, I will sign stating that I saw them myself- unless you want us to keep them- haha- here you go love, you are all set. Keep this number to track progress, It will

Showed up in tracker / application received in Dublin Aug 22, 2019 (note: 1 year and 1 day after FBR application received in Dublin)

Asked if I still wanted to pick up or shall they ship FedEx 2-day. I Opted to pick-up.

Me: “I will be there at 9:30 with my coffee waiting for you to unlock the door. Would you like a coffee or Tea yourself?”

Travel to consulate to pick up passport Oct 1, 2019 arrival at 9:30am, wait 1 hour until opening. Asked to look at it and verify all information was correct, Signature not required.

— End —
Hey!

So just to clarify it took you from July 5th to Oct 1st to receive your passport? I thought the passport application was much shorter?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:05 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks

US applicant..

— End —
Hey!

So just to clarify it took you from July 5th to Oct 1st to receive your passport? I thought the passport application was much shorter?
Shorter then the FBR, yes. My FBR was 9.5 months. My passport was a 4 days short of 3 months, it would have been exactly 3 months and to the day of the expected date on the tracker but I opted to pick it up and avoid the 2 day wait via fedex.

To be technical, it was July 5, 2019 to Sept 30, 2019 but I was not able to get to the consulate until the next day (Oct 1) she called me at 2:53pm (7 minutes before they close the pubic service desk) so I went the next day.
Attachments
A6A44E1E-B611-4D1F-AD30-FC3290EE1105.jpeg
A6A44E1E-B611-4D1F-AD30-FC3290EE1105.jpeg (704.37 KiB) Viewed 1848 times