ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting advice about work for spouse

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RemoTheBoss
Newly Registered

Getting advice about work for spouse

Post by RemoTheBoss » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,

So I am a British citizen and I got married recently and my wife would be coming to UK very soon. I was studied here so do not know much about Indian qualification. However from my understanding she got B.com from India (Bachelor of commerce) and also masters in International business (MIB). She has just completed her masters and never worked in India. I am not sure where I can get advice regarding what route she has to go through to get a job here in London. Does she need to do any additional training, what kind of career she can get into. etc (These are the type of advice I am looking for). Is there any agency i can approach regarding this? Any advice is greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers

John Immanuel
Newly Registered
India

Re: Getting advice about work for spouse

Post by John Immanuel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm

You can apply for UK spouse visa if you are married to a British citizen or a person who has settlement status in the UK (i.e. a person who holds Indefinite Leave to Remain [ILR] or right of abode).

The visa, which is initially issued for a two and a half year period, allows you to work without restriction in the UK. You may also exit and re-enter the country multiple times. At the end of the two and half years, you will need to extend your stay in the UK for a further two and a half years.

After being on the spousal visa for a total of five years, you must submit evidence to the Home Office that you have been living together for that time, after which you may be eligible to apply for ILR.

In order to apply for this visa, you and your spouse must:

Have met
Be lawfully married to one another
Intend to live together permanently as man and wife
Ensure that the British citizen meets the financial requirement set out by the UK Visas and Immigration office
You may also apply for a UK visa as a dependant in any of the following circumstances:

You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds an ancestry visa
You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds a student visa
You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds a work permit
You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds a Tier 1 visa

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:22 pm

John Immanuel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 pm
You can apply for UK spouse visa if you are married to a British citizen or a person who has settlement status in the UK (i.e. a person who holds Indefinite Leave to Remain [ILR] or right of abode).

The visa, which is initially issued for a two and a half year period, allows you to work without restriction in the UK. You may also exit and re-enter the country multiple times. At the end of the two and half years, you will need to extend your stay in the UK for a further two and a half years.

After being on the spousal visa for a total of five years, you must submit evidence to the Home Office that you have been living together for that time, after which you may be eligible to apply for ILR.

In order to apply for this visa, you and your spouse must:

Have met
Be lawfully married to one another
Intend to live together permanently as man and wife
Ensure that the British citizen meets the financial requirement set out by the UK Visas and Immigration office
You may also apply for a UK visa as a dependant in any of the following circumstances:

You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds an ancestry visa
You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds a student visa
You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds a work permit
You are married or in a long-term relationship with someone who holds a Tier 1 visa
You have missed the point of the users question completely.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:08 pm

RemoTheBoss wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 pm
I am not sure where I can get advice regarding what route she has to go through to get a job here in London. Does she need to do any additional training, what kind of career she can get into. etc (These are the type of advice I am looking for). Is there any agency i can approach regarding this? Any advice is greatly appreciated guys.
Considering her educational background, I think she would be in a position to get a good job once she finds out what is needed.

What I did to find out the qualifications I need to work in the UK in my field (completely different to your wife's), was to contact an external agency. They told me what background I needed (including additional training) and possible employments I could apply for, based on my profile. Therefore, your wife will have to search and ask in various agencies to contrast the info they are giving to her and see what's the most convenient route to follow. Some agencies will do it for free, while some others will charge a fee.

The only thing I can remark (again, this is for my background) is that, in order to get a good position, I was asked to demonstrate a high English level (C1 or C2). Some other jobs will ask B2+. So, it's something she should keep in mind.