ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - Proof of Relationship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MiddleAged
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Spouse Visa - Proof of Relationship

Post by MiddleAged » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi, I am applying for a spouse visa to join my husband in the UK. We have been married for 9 years and lived together all that time.

1.) Would we still have to provide proof of a “genuine” and “subsisting” relationship such as photos, correspondence, air tickets, etc.?

2.) We have been living and working away from our home countries throughout our marriage and have difficulty proving that we lived at the same address during these years as our accommodation was either: (i) provided by his employer; or (b) the lease was in only 1 of our names and in any case, we have not kept copies after all this time.
We have some old work visas showing we were in the same country but I am not sure if this is good enough (also complicated as there are many stamps in our passports). Can anyone offer any advice on other types of proof that we might be able to provide?

Thank you.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Spouse Visa - Proof of Relationship

Post by geoeng » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:23 pm

1) Yes, you will have to provide evidence of a genuine and subsisting relationship.
2) If you are married, there is no requirement to have lived together so you will not have to provide proof of this for the first spouse visa (Entry Clearance). When you go to apply for an extension later (Further Leave to Remain) you will, however, have to provide proof of cohabitation in the UK in the period since arriving.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

MiddleAged
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Re: Spouse Visa - Proof of Relationship

Post by MiddleAged » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Thank you. That makes it much easier.