ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Michael123 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Hello everyone,

Any ideas on how long the passport process is taking for first time applications from Canada or North America with the FBR cert?

Thanks
As a matter of fact.. I just got my passport today.

US applicant..

Here is my final timeline...

FBR application received Aug 20, 2018 (Fedex Tracking)

Email confirmation of application received at St Stephens Green (old address) on Aug 21, 2018 “received on Aug 21, 2018” (Different than FedEx tracking)

Email notification of entry into FBR June 7, 2019 (same date of FBR Cert) “certificate awaiting printing, 2-3 weeks for delivery”

FBR and supporting documents received June 22, 2019. (Signature required)

Passport application hand delivered
July 5, 2019. Supporting documents verified, copied and originals handed back. “We do not need the originals, I will sign stating that I saw them myself- unless you want us to keep them- haha- here you go love, you are all set. Keep this number to track progress, It will
show up in the tracker eventually, may take awhile.”

Showed up in tracker / application received in Dublin Aug 22, 2019 (note: 1 year and 1 day after FBR application received in Dublin)
Expected issue date Oct 3, 2019

Dispatched date: Sept 20, 2019

Consulate phoned, notification of passport arrival Sept 30, 2019
Asked if I still wanted to pick up or shall they ship FedEx 2-day. I Opted to pick-up.

Consulate: “We open at 10:30am”

Me: “I will be there at 9:30 with my coffee waiting for you to unlock the door. Would you like a coffee or Tea yourself?”

Consulate: “No, I will already have one by then. Thank you.”

Travel to consulate to pick up passport Oct 1, 2019 arrival at 9:30am, wait 1 hour until opening. Asked to look at it and verify all information was correct, Signature not required.

— End —
Hey!

So just to clarify it took you from July 5th to Oct 1st to receive your passport? I thought the passport application was much shorter?

Suggestion:

If you are a US citizen and reside in the USA, I suggest you get Global Entry!

Here is a link explaining it....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVm-bmbGFnc

theonlyh
Newly Registered

Post by theonlyh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Does anyone know about passport express service in Liverpool? If I use that service, do I need to get my documents countersigned or will the staff at the post office do it for me?

Waiting patiently for my certificate to arrive (conformed address last week!)

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Michael123 wrote:
kmosfet wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Hello everyone,

Any ideas on how long the passport process is taking for first time applications from Canada or North America with the FBR cert?

Thanks

US applicant..

Email confirmation of application received at St Stephens Green (old address) on Aug 21, 2018 “received on Aug 21, 2018” (Different than FedEx tracking)

Email notification of entry into FBR June 7, 2019 (same date of FBR Cert) “certificate awaiting printing, 2-3 weeks for delivery”

July 5, 2019. Supporting documents verified, copied and originals handed back. “We do not need the originals, I will sign stating that I saw them myself- unless you want us to keep them- haha- here you go love, you are all set. Keep this number to track progress, It will

Showed up in tracker / application received in Dublin Aug 22, 2019 (note: 1 year and 1 day after FBR application received in Dublin)

Asked if I still wanted to pick up or shall they ship FedEx 2-day. I Opted to pick-up.

Me: “I will be there at 9:30 with my coffee waiting for you to unlock the door. Would you like a coffee or Tea yourself?”

Travel to consulate to pick up passport Oct 1, 2019 arrival at 9:30am, wait 1 hour until opening. Asked to look at it and verify all information was correct, Signature not required.

— End —
Hey!

So just to clarify it took you from July 5th to Oct 1st to receive your passport? I thought the passport application was much shorter?

Suggestion:

haha I'm not from the US. I am a Canadian. We can't get the Global entry pass but we do have access to Nexus which has its own benefits. Also much cheaper ;)

I am actually trying to figure out how long it'll take to get a passport because I have a really good job offer in Amsterdam in the tech industry. I applied for the FBR Jan 10th, 2019, called today and they confirmed I should have my certificate in January. Problem is the company wants to hire and move me there in Jan.

Do I require a passport to work in other EU countries if i'm an Irish citizen at the time of them hiring? Do you think they could have me sign my contract to work there with just the Irish citizenship. Move there with my Canadian passport to get through the airport and simply have my Irish Passport sent to my Amsterdam residence or to a friends place in Amsterdam?

bellcurvechaos
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bellcurvechaos » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Michael123 wrote:
kmosfet wrote:
Michael123 wrote:

US applicant..

— End —
Hey!

Suggestion:

haha I'm not from the US. I am a Canadian. We can't get the Global entry pass but we do have access to Nexus which has its own benefits. Also much cheaper ;)

I am actually trying to figure out how long it'll take to get a passport because I have a really good job offer in Amsterdam in the tech industry. I applied for the FBR Jan 10th, 2019, called today and they confirmed I should have my certificate in January. Problem is the company wants to hire and move me there in Jan.

Do I require a passport to work in other EU countries if i'm an Irish citizen at the time of them hiring? Do you think they could have me sign my contract to work there with just the Irish citizenship. Move there with my Canadian passport to get through the airport and simply have my Irish Passport sent to my Amsterdam residence or to a friends place in Amsterdam?
Hi! I have the answer to this as I am also moving to Amsterdam! The fastest way you can do this, is basically once you receive all of your documents is move to Ireland. Once in Ireland, you can apply for your passport while there and it will take 3 weeks instead of 3 months from the USA.You will have to show a multitude of documents stating your Irish address, etc.

If you cannot move to Ireland between the time you receive your FBR and get your passport, you are pretty much stuck waiting 3 months for it.

To clarify whether you can move to the NL and work there with only the FBR, you simply cannot. I contacted the Dutch Consulate in NYC for clarification on this and they 100% said it is not allowed.
You will not be able to get your BSN (Dutch Tax ID). You would enter the Netherlands on a tourist visa.

Maybe there is a way for you to convince the company to push back your hiring date by 1 or 2 months to Feb or March. Basically, they will be able to recruit you and not have to support you in a visa process. I think that's somewhat a fair tradeoff.

Anyway, you could take a month in Ireland and really take in Irish culture before embarking on your move to the Netherlands (most likely easier for a single person without kids).

zimbot
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by zimbot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:11 pm

My information and status:

Standard FBR package sent from US to Dublin.
FBR package received in Dublin November 20, 2018.
Email received asking for address confirmation October 2, 2018.

I wasn't expecting to hear anything for a month or two. Perhaps they making progress on the backlog!!... or I am just lucky...

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm

bellcurvechaos wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Michael123 wrote:
kmosfet wrote:

Hey!

Suggestion:

Hi! I have the answer to this as I am also moving to Amsterdam! The fastest way you can do this, is basically once you receive all of your documents is move to Ireland. Once in Ireland, you can apply for your passport while there and it will take 3 weeks instead of 3 months from the USA.You will have to show a multitude of documents stating your Irish address, etc.

If you cannot move to Ireland between the time you receive your FBR and get your passport, you are pretty much stuck waiting 3 months for it.

To clarify whether you can move to the NL and work there with only the FBR, you simply cannot. I contacted the Dutch Consulate in NYC for clarification on this and they 100% said it is not allowed.
You will not be able to get your BSN (Dutch Tax ID). You would enter the Netherlands on a tourist visa.

Maybe there is a way for you to convince the company to push back your hiring date by 1 or 2 months to Feb or March. Basically, they will be able to recruit you and not have to support you in a visa process. I think that's somewhat a fair tradeoff.

Anyway, you could take a month in Ireland and really take in Irish culture before embarking on your move to the Netherlands (most likely easier for a single person without kids).
Did you actually move to Ireland for 3 weeks just to get your passport? How did you even get an address that fast? If thats the case. Couldn't I just pay a nice Irish person a good amount to money to submit my documents there and just send me my passport ;)

spike18
Newly Registered

Post by spike18 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11 pm

theonlyh wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:00 pm
Does anyone know about passport express service in Liverpool? If I use that service, do I need to get my documents countersigned or will the staff at the post office do it for me?

Waiting patiently for my certificate to arrive (conformed address last week!)
Hi,

I used Passport Express in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago. I chose to have my passport copy certified by the same person that witnessed my passport application. As I understand it the Post Office staff can certify copies but not witness the application.

I am happy to be proved wrong, but I think that the hurdle for witnessing the application is higher than simply certifying a copy of an ID document.

theonlyh
Newly Registered

Post by theonlyh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Apologies- witnessing it is what I meant! Thanks for such a speedy reply. I am lucky and work in a secondary school so have a Headteacher and two Deputies that I am hoping can witness.

Jacqui309

Post by Jacqui309 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm

With so many people getting emails asking for confirmation of address and many getting this on their birthday I checked my emails on Monday in anticipation. Nothing! So today I called the FBR and got through quickly. The lady asked the date of my application and I said May 2018. She said you mean 2019. I said no 2018. She was shocked and said she didn’t think any were that old!! I replied that ai hoped there were.....

Anyway she checked and said an email was sent to me to confirm my address two days ago. I checked and there it was in my junk folder. So the day after my birthday and nearly 17 months post receipt of my application I am nearly there.

Sulla thank you so much for your support and information. I am happy to wait now in the knowledge it’s on its way. Next stop passport.....

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Jacqui309 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm
With so many people getting emails asking for confirmation of address and many getting this on their birthday I checked my emails on Monday in anticipation. Nothing! So today I called the FBR and got through quickly. The lady asked the date of my application and I said May 2018. She said you mean 2019. I said no 2018. She was shocked and said she didn’t think any were that old!! I replied that ai hoped there were.....

Anyway she checked and said an email was sent to me to confirm my address two days ago. I checked and there it was in my junk folder. So the day after my birthday and nearly 17 months post receipt of my application I am nearly there.

Sulla thank you so much for your support and information. I am happy to wait now in the knowledge it’s on its way. Next stop passport.....
Congrats! -and always check the junk bin emails!!!!same with FB messenger fyi

BrexitIrishman
inactive
Ireland

Post by BrexitIrishman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Quick question: So far has everyone who has got their FBR certificate received an email confirmation of citizenship before the certificate is printed/posted?

Thanks

Jacqui309

Post by Jacqui309 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:38 pm

BrexitIrishman wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Quick question: So far has everyone who has got their FBR certificate received an email confirmation of citizenship before the certificate is printed/posted?

Thanks
They email to ask you to confirm your address before you are added to the register

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:47 pm

BrexitIrishman wrote:
My FBR came through last year, and I never received any emails at all - just the certificate and returned documents in the post. I did read about other people receiving emails, apparently not everyone got one. And it looks like, since I received mine, DFA have introduced this address-confirmation email prior to posting.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Myself and 3 cousins all got notifications. Myself and one cousin applied at same time, same package. We both received emails, mine was received 10 mins after hers, suggesting that this step takes 10 mins, no verification of anything was requested. Our FBR certs and corresponding letters were signed by different people. Our FBRs delivered same day.

My other 2 cousins, applied completely independent at different times, both got email of notification, no verification requested.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm

I am happy to say that stage one of “Project Failte” is complete, I finally got to add the red book to the case. I had this case made in Ireland over a year ago when I started collecting the FBR documents.
Attachments
B28FC2AB-D2E8-4570-8ADC-4FF64C4C42F9.jpeg
B28FC2AB-D2E8-4570-8ADC-4FF64C4C42F9.jpeg (900.69 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
BDE3B41C-E431-4CEA-92DF-F1DC1FD53ED0.jpeg
BDE3B41C-E431-4CEA-92DF-F1DC1FD53ED0.jpeg (937.78 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
8BDB0B0E-FF18-4040-82E7-2F9024215A04.jpeg
8BDB0B0E-FF18-4040-82E7-2F9024215A04.jpeg (860.41 KiB) Viewed 2045 times

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Jacqui309 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Fabulous news for you. It has certainly been a long time coming. I am so glad that your case has finally made some progress. It is (by far) the longest running application on the list. I hope you will be able to use Passport Express as it will considerably shorten your passport issuance wait time.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm
I am happy to say that stage one of “Project Failte” is complete, I finally got to add the red book to the case. I had this case made in Ireland over a year ago when I started collecting the FBR documents.
That's a very nice looking passport cover Michael. I don't go in for them much myself as immigration tend not to like them - at least in most of Asia. The only passport I still use one for (clear plastic as they will accept that without wrenching it out of the cover - usually) is the UK passport. I don't know what it is with the UK passport, but the crest on the cover erodes rapidly. My previous UK passport had nothing bar a few specs of gold remaining of the crest by the time I changed it. My other passports don't seem to have this issue, so I don't bother with the cover.

bellcurvechaos
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bellcurvechaos » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:30 am

kmosfet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm
bellcurvechaos wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 pm
kmosfet wrote:
Michael123 wrote:

Suggestion:

Did you actually move to Ireland for 3 weeks just to get your passport? How did you even get an address that fast? If thats the case. Couldn't I just pay a nice Irish person a good amount to money to submit my documents there and just send me my passport ;)
Sorry, I now see you are Canadian, not in the US. Moving in with my cousin. No, you have to be in Ireland to register for a a Public Services Card, have an irish cell phone number and likely have a financial statement sent to you as proof of address. It will probably be more like 5-6 weeks to gather everything. But that is still shorter than 3 months.

Luke125SWalker
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Luke125SWalker » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:46 am

BrexitIrishman wrote:

Thanks
No, I didn't get an email from the FBR Section at all. No address confirmation or congratulatory email. I was emailed to collect my FBR Certificate from the Embassy, the "Congratulations" letter was in the package along with a letter explaining that the FBR Certificate is proof of citizenship and to keep it safe.

Pumps100

Post by Pumps100 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Pumps100 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 pm
Pumps100 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am
Postman delivered my FBR certificate and documents this morning 17th September 2019.

For completeness I will record the timeline.

25.8.18 - Submitted application to London Embassy

29.8.18 - Dfa Received email

10.9.19 - Dfa Confirmation if address email (377 days)

17.9.19 - FBR & Docs returned (384 days). Date of FBR admission 10.9.19.

Summary

From date of application received to receipt of FBR 384 days or 1 year 19 days.

Regards

Ian
Now moving on to the passport.

Visited Solicitors office this morning got my signature witnessed, photos and photocopy of passport page 'certified'. Used original proofs of address.

Then posted to Cork this afternoon 18.9.19.

Will update when passport in my hands.

Ian
Mission is finally over. Passport and my papers received today Friday 4th October 2019.

In summary since my received date of 29th August 2018 the process has taken 402 days or 1 year 1 month and 6 days with no queries or delays on my part.

Processing of the Passport was very good. Sent direct to Cork September 18th and received today October 4th - just over two weeks turnaround! Please note all that I was advised by the London Embassy to send direct - you can send it to the Embassy but they just collect and send it on to Cork. You are best to cut out unecessary links in the chain which could cause any delay.

Best advice I can give to anybody. Don't procrastinate - sooner your application for inclusion in the FBR is in the better. Don't delay because you are waiting for a cert from a relative - just buy new certs.

All the best to everyone and special thanks to Sulla for keeping this discussion alive.

Regards

Ian

BrexitIrishman
inactive
Ireland

Post by BrexitIrishman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks everyone. Helpful to know about email notifications. Every time I see the mail man coming I hear a soft lilting Celtic fiddle as I wait in eager anticipation for my certificate.

By the looks of the timescales so far, I could be waiting well into next year. Does anyone have any data yet on average figures based on people on this forum who have finally received their certificates? E.g. What's the longest waiting time since 2018 and has anyone from 2019 heard anything yet? Would be good to get some numbers if possible.

I'm hoping the luck of the Irish will kick in and I'll hear any day now within 6 months but I'm not holding my breath yet!

Slán

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:48 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm
This is quite the nice double passport holder. Can I ask where you purchased from?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:14 pm

I will have to look for my receipt, I need to find it anyway... I may need a new one with a 3rd passport pocket (hahaha Scotland!) and additional card pockets for the passport cards.

Ill let you know as soon as I can locate it or find it on my CC statement.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:10 pm

BrexitIrishman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Thanks everyone. Helpful to know about email notifications. Every time I see the mail man coming I hear a soft lilting Celtic fiddle as I wait in eager anticipation for my certificate.

By the looks of the timescales so far, I could be waiting well into next year. Does anyone have any data yet on average figures based on people on this forum who have finally received their certificates? E.g. What's the longest waiting time since 2018 and has anyone from 2019 heard anything yet? Would be good to get some numbers if possible.

I'm hoping the luck of the Irish will kick in and I'll hear any day now within 6 months but I'm not holding my breath yet!

Slán
Jacqui waited longest at approximately 17 months from May 2018 until recent confirmation of address.

The average wait time experienced by 2018 applicants is around a year from start (postal delivery) to finish (FBR addition). Some people have made it in slightly less time while others have waited longer.

This average wait time applies to the wait times relevant to Applicants from August - October 2018, since those are the folks seeing addition right now.

In general, direct stream applicants have to wait significantly longer than embassy stream cases. However, this depends on the embassy involved. Some embassy cases are extraordinarily rapid and things can be done in 1-3 months. My own case was 3.5 months from application to FBR addition and I applied from China. Some other embassy cases are taking 7 months or more.

The only 2019 applicants who have received addition to the FBR are embassy stream cases. However, Accountname and Cheeseontoast applied in Feb and March 2019 respectively and have had address confirmation. They are outliers for the moment though. BillyHicks is on the list as January 2019 applicant, but in actuality postal receipt was in September 2018. January was the date of official confirmation of receipt.

BrexitIrishman
inactive
Ireland

Post by BrexitIrishman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 am

Sulla wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:10 pm
BrexitIrishman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Slán
Jacqui waited longest at approximately 17 months from May 2018 until recent confirmation of address.

The average wait time experienced by 2018 applicants is around a year from start (postal delivery) to finish (FBR addition). Some people have made it in slightly less time while others have waited longer.

This average wait time applies to the wait times relevant to Applicants from August - October 2018, since those are the folks seeing addition right now.

In general, direct stream applicants have to wait significantly longer than embassy stream cases. However, this depends on the embassy involved. Some embassy cases are extraordinarily rapid and things can be done in 1-3 months. My own case was 3.5 months from application to FBR addition and I applied from China. Some other embassy cases are taking 7 months or more.

The only 2019 applicants who have received addition to the FBR are embassy stream cases. However, Accountname and Cheeseontoast applied in Feb and March 2019 respectively and have had address confirmation. They are outliers for the moment though. BillyHicks is on the list as January 2019 applicant, but in actuality postal receipt was in September 2018. January was the date of official confirmation of receipt.
Thanks so much for this Sulla. Really helpful! Here's hoping I'm an outlier! 😄