ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I still apply for citizenship if I was away for 15 months after receving permanent residence? Please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Airam15
Newly Registered

Can I still apply for citizenship if I was away for 15 months after receving permanent residence? Please help

Post by Airam15 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 am

Hi,

I would really appreciate your advice please.

I am an EEA national and have a permanent residence ( document certifying PR) card since april 2016. In august 2017, i was away for 15 months due to health/personal reasons. I came back in september 2018.

When i called HO last year, they told me that I need to wait another year before applying for naturalisation. Now it has been a year since i came back, but reading the HO website, i have doubts that I can apply for citizenship now because of my 15 months gap.

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but my husband was still living in UK while i was away and he has BC for 2 years now.

Any advice would be helpful. I already had my Life in the Uk test, but i am scared to apply in case they refuse my application and I lose around £1500.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I still apply for citizenship if I was away for 15 months after receving permanent residence? Please help

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:02 am

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but my husband was still living in UK while i was away and he has BC for 2 years now
Makes no difference. You as an individual must meet all the requirements for citizenship on your own.

If you are applying on the basis of spouse of British citizen, it is based on 3 years residence and the absence limit is no more than 270 days in the last 3 years and no more than 90 days in the last 12 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hermanthegerman
Germany

Re: Can I still apply for citizenship if I was away for 15 months after receving permanent residence? Please help

Post by hermanthegerman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:54 am

This is the relevant section from the handbook. You may want to see if any of the exceptions apply to you:

Where an applicant has spent more than the 450 day for section 6(1) applications, or
270 days for section 6(2) applications, outside of the UK during the qualifying period
you must consider exercising discretion if they meet the other requirements.
Where the applicant exceeds the permitted absence by 30 days or less you must
exercise discretion unless there are other grounds on which the application falls to
be refused.
Where the applicant has absences of between 480-900 for applications under
section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981, or 300-540 for applications under
section 6(2) and otherwise meets the requirements you must only consider
exercising discretion where the applicant has established their home, employment,
family and finances in the UK, and one or more of the following applies:
• at least 2 years residence (for applications under section 6(1)), or 1 year (for
applications under section 6(2)), without substantial absences immediately prior
to the beginning of the qualifying period. If the period of absence is greater than
730 days (for section 6(1)) or 450 days (for section 6(2)) the period of residence
must be at least 3 or 2 years respectively
• the excess absences are the result of:
o postings abroad in Crown service under the UK government or in service
designated under section 2(3) of the British Nationality act 1981.
o accompanying a British citizen spouse or civil partner on an appointment
overseas
• the excess absences were an unavoidable consequence of the nature of the
applicant’s career, such as a merchant seaman or employment with a
multinational company based in the UK with frequent travel abroad
• exceptionally compelling reasons of an occupational or compassionate nature
to justify naturalisation now, such as a firm job offer where British citizenship
is a statutory or mandatory requirement
Where an applicant’s absences exceed those covered above it is highly unlikely that
discretion would be appropriate. You should normally refuse the application and
advise them to re-apply when they are able to bring themselves with the statutory
requirements, unless there are specific circumstances that warrant exceptional
consideration at a senior level.

Airam15
Newly Registered

Post by Airam15 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I have more than 480 days permitted absence in the last 5 years. My understanding is that i will not be able to apply now because i was not working in the uk during the 15 months gap and my main residence was not uk. Other than that, i have been working with no gaps.

I guess i will have to wait another 2 years and maybe then I will be able to apply as a spouse of a BC.

Thanks.