ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewal of South African Passport in UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Renewal of South African Passport in UK

Post by Ifor_Williams » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm

So…my SA wife’s passport is expired, and we’re looking at getting it “renewed”. I understand the term “renewal”, is no longer really applicable, and expired passports now require a complete re-application.

I think (!), I’ve got all the necessary forms and requirements listed as below, but I’m having difficulty with a few other points.

DHA-73 Not downloadable
DHA-529 Downloadable
DHA-9 Not downloadable

4x Passport Photographs
2x Certified Copies of Photo Page of ID Book
2x Certified Copies of Photo Page of Old Passport
2x Certified Copies of Photo Page of Spouse
2x Certified Copies of Marriage Cert
2x Certified Copies of Divorce Cert
Form NQ from UK Home Office (online)

If applying in person, take all original documents as above, PLUS x2 COPIES of each of the above.

Cost of new passport £35
Cost of Form NQ £250

Firstly, the SAHC website would have you believe you can submit the application online. I have received all non-downloadable forms BUT I don’t see how the form DHA-9 (fingerprints), could be done remotely without visiting the HC. There’s no mention anywhere of being able to have prints taken and certified at eg a local police station.

Furthermore, is form DHA-9 even a requirement for passport? Again, on the SAHC website, it states following as a full passport requirement:

DHA-9 <15½ years (Fully completed in Black ink and Block letters)

I think it’s a typo, but the above indicates it a requirement for BELOW 15 1/2 years. Clicking on the DHA-9 link however gives the following:

Fingerprint form DHA-9. This form is COMPULSORY for all applicants who are 15½ years and above.

Confusing, but I’m assuming it’s a requirement for ABOVE?

Also, is it still necessary to book (or try to), an appointment, or is it just turn up and get in the que?

Like many, this is a l o n g trip for us just to submit a load of paperwork (and of course, the return trip to collect), so just wan to be sure we’ve covered everything!

Thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Renewal of South African Passport in UK

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:07 pm

Ifor_Williams wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm
So…my SA wife’s passport is expired, and we’re looking at getting it “renewed”. I understand the term “renewal”, is no longer really applicable, and expired passports now require a complete re-application.

I think (!), I’ve got all the necessary forms and requirements listed as below, but I’m having difficulty with a few other points.

DHA-73 Not downloadable
DHA-529 Downloadable
DHA-9 Not downloadable

4x Passport Photographs
2x Certified Copies of Photo Page of ID Book
2x Certified Copies of Photo Page of Old Passport
2x Certified Copies of Photo Page of Spouse
2x Certified Copies of Marriage Cert
2x Certified Copies of Divorce Cert
Form NQ from UK Home Office (online)

If applying in person, take all original documents as above, PLUS x2 COPIES of each of the above.

Cost of new passport £35
Cost of Form NQ £250

Firstly, the SAHC website would have you believe you can submit the application online. I have received all non-downloadable forms BUT I don’t see how the form DHA-9 (fingerprints), could be done remotely without visiting the HC. There’s no mention anywhere of being able to have prints taken and certified at eg a local police station.

Furthermore, is form DHA-9 even a requirement for passport? Again, on the SAHC website, it states following as a full passport requirement:

DHA-9 <15½ years (Fully completed in Black ink and Block letters)

I think it’s a typo, but the above indicates it a requirement for BELOW 15 1/2 years. Clicking on the DHA-9 link however gives the following:

Fingerprint form DHA-9. This form is COMPULSORY for all applicants who are 15½ years and above.

Confusing, but I’m assuming it’s a requirement for ABOVE?

Also, is it still necessary to book (or try to), an appointment, or is it just turn up and get in the que?

Like many, this is a l o n g trip for us just to submit a load of paperwork (and of course, the return trip to collect), so just wan to be sure we’ve covered everything!

Thanks in advance!
You have to do your fingerprints at the Consular Service, which is where you get the paper DHA-9 form. You cannot apply online. The links that you do get are merely to print and complete before going to the Consular service as space inside to write is limited. The rest of the forms you have to get from them and complete. It is a walk in service and not an appointment service.

What is your wife's UK immigration status?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi, thanks for the confirmation of that.

My wife has Indefinite Leave to Remain as of last October, so technically (I think), she could apply for Citizenship soon, but we're not in a particular rush and would rather get her SA passport sorted first. We're not comfortable having no passport if she needed to return home at short-notice!

I gather the Form NQ from UK Border Agency is still an unbelievable £250?!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Just thinking that she could apply for citizenship without having to renew her passport. If she doesn't apply for permission to get another citizenship, she loses her SA one but remains a Permanent residence as she was born there. SA citizenship can be resumed if she returns to SA for 12 months.

I did this, gave it up due to the extra cost of the HO NR letter and DHA fee to get permission. Enter SA on my British passport without any issues and have the letter (issued free of charge) allowing me to enter on my British passport in case it is asked for. Still have a Non-SA Identity Number and everything.

Citizenship approval takes a few weeks/ couple of months these days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Hmmm, that's something else I was a little uncertain of. I was under the impression that by law, any adult South African entering SA was required to do so with their SA passport? Not sure where I read that, and maybe it's not relevant anymore.

Who issued you with the free letter of your permission to enter SA, out if interest?

Thanks again!

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:38 pm

Hmmm, that's something else I was a little uncertain of. I was under the impression that by law, any adult South African entering SA was required to do so with their SA passport? Not sure where I read that, and maybe it's not relevant anymore.

Who issued you with the free letter of your permission to enter SA with your UK passport out if interest?

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:53 pm

True and it is, but only if you have not lost your SA citizenship as the law states that about entering and leaving on an SA passport if you are a South African citizen (which I no longer am). My dual british/SA ex husband was given a really hard time in 2008 by immigration at departures when we left as he only had a British passport having lost his SA in Botswana at some point.
Who issued you with the free letter of your permission to enter SA with your UK passport out if interest?
The SA home affairs/consular service in London. Applied for it and they did it while I waited. Then got a letter a few months after that to state I have been taken off the SA population register and issues with a new non SA identity number. So I am technically no longer an SA citizen and cannot hold an SA passport but have the right to permanent residence due to being born there.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 am

Having spoken to my wife last night about all this, she's not particularly concerned about losing her SA passport if she were to go down the Citizenship/ UK passport route. AS you say, as a SA national, she could always apply for a SA passport in the future through the fact she is a permanent resident.

Can one apply for UK Citizenship whilst not having a current passport?

Would she need to inform SAHC first of her intention to relinquish her SA status/ passport, or does she just apply for the UK Citizenship and inform them afterwards?

This is all of great help, so again, thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:00 am

AS you say, as a SA national, she could always apply for a SA passport in the future through the fact she is a permanent resident.
Not quite correct. It is important to note that she will lose her SA citizenship on the date she becomes British. This is automatic. Having the right to permanent residence doesn't necessarily allow her to apply for a passport as she will no longer be a SA citizen. The mandatory requirement is to live in SA for 12 months minimum, then apply for resumption of SA citizenship and once granted, apply for an SA passport.
Yes. She would need to provide proof of residence from date of passport expiry though.
Would she need to inform SAHC first of her intention to relinquish her SA status/ passport, or does she just apply for the UK Citizenship and inform them afterwards?
No. Nothing she needs to do. She simply applies for British citizenship. She goes to SAHC consular once she has a British passport for the letter etc. I will post what the letter says later so you can see.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:14 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:00 am
AS you say, as a SA national, she could always apply for a SA passport in the future through the fact she is a permanent resident.
Not quite correct. It is important to note that she will lose her SA citizenship on the date she becomes British. This is automatic. Having the right to permanent residence doesn't necessarily allow her to apply for a passport as she will no longer be a SA citizen. The mandatory requirement is to live in SA for 12 months minimum, then apply for resumption of SA citizenship and once granted, apply for an SA passport.

Righto, understood now
Yes. She would need to provide proof of residence from date of passport expiry though.

That's fine- I assume her Indefinite Leave to Remain status would qualify that?
No. Nothing she needs to do. She simply applies for British citizenship. She goes to SAHC consular once she has a British passport for the letter etc. I will post what the letter says later so you can see.
That'd be great, thanks. Is the letter a particular document code, or is it just....a letter?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:16 am

Just a letter quoting relevant legislation and the applicants personal information.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 am

Luckily, I knew I had posted these letters before on the forum.

The first letter I got while I waited at the consular home affairs office in Whitehall, issued free of charge and says the following :
Dear Madam,

ACQUISITION OF BRITISH CITIZENSHIP: FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME
IDENTITY NUMBER: YYMMDD 0000 086

With reference to your recent enquiry, it is noted that you formally acquired British citizenship by naturalisation at the Home Office, London on 11 MONTH 2012 whilst resident outside South Africa.

Such naturalisation/registration is construed as a 'voluntary and formal act' which in terms of Section 6(1)(a) of the South African Citizenship Act (Act No 88 of 1995), resulted in the automatic loss of your South African Citizenship with consequent ineligibility for further South African passport facilities from the date of naturalisation/registration.

In terms of Section 13(3)(a)(i) of the said Act, you may only apply for the resumption of your South African Citizenship upon returning to the Republic for a continuous period of 12 months.

As you were born in South Africa, you automatically retain your right of residence. This letter, together with a valid British passport, should be produced to a Passport Control Officer at the South African port of entry to facilitate your admission.

Yours faithfully,

Pp. COUNSELLOR
IMMIGRATION & CIVIC AFFAIRS
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:29 am

Then I got a second letter in the post about 4 months later stating the following ;
Dear Mrs SURNAME

LOSS OF SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENSHIP

This serves to inform you that your non-citizenship status has been recorded by South African Home Affairs.

Your new Identity Number is: DDMMYY 0000 185

You ceased to be a South African citizen on the 11.XX.2012 when you acquired British Citizenship by naturalisation.

It is advisable that you apply for a non-citizen identity document from this office, at your earliest convenience.

This letter must be produced when you apply for your new ID Book.

Information on how to apply for an ID Book is available on our website.
https://southafricahouseuk.com/passport ... idboo.html

Yours faithfully,

Counsellor

Immigration & Civic Affairs
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:51 am

Great, thanks.

I assume this letter will still require a long old trip down to Whitehall then? Any ideas whether it can be facilitated by post, given there’s no fingerprinting or formal form-filling to be done?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:00 am

Ifor_Williams wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:51 am
Great, thanks.

I assume this letter will still require a long old trip down to Whitehall then? Any ideas whether it can be facilitated by post, given there’s no fingerprinting or formal form-filling to be done?
You need to go in person I am afraid as they will expect to see your original naturalisation certificate and British passport as well as the expired SA passport and the SA Identity Book, which will be clipped and cancelled.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ifor_Williams
Newly Registered

Post by Ifor_Williams » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:00 am
Ifor_Williams wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:51 am
Great, thanks.

You need to go in person I am afraid as they will expect to see your original naturalisation certificate and British passport as well as the expired SA passport and the SA Identity Book, which will be clipped and cancelled.
Righto, cheers

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Post by mrgs1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:41 pm

A little late, but the letter is hit and miss, we've been waiting. for 18 months now, been to London numerous times and just told get in touch with Home Affairs, there were also 5 others the first time we went in the same boat, think hard about losing your citizenship, some get the letter quickly others not, it's been 10 years since we applied for Unabridged Marriage Certificate, still waiting.