ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exceeding the 5-year visa cap?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aaron720
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Exceeding the 5-year visa cap?

Post by Aaron720 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:20 pm

I have a concern about the 5-year cap for UK Tier 4 visas and hoping someone might be able to provide me with some guidance or advice based on my situation.

I began my studies in the UK at the foundation level in September 2013. In June 2014, I completed the course and I began my first year of the undergraduate programme in September 2014 and I was granted the new Tier 4 visa valid from 15/08/2014 to 30/09/2017 (no BRP, only paper visa sticker). However, I decided to switch courses in the first few months, but the admission team didn't allow me to do that. Finally, I transferred to another university to study the new course in September 2015, repeating the first year of the new programme and I was granted a new Tier 4 visa valid from 16/09/2015 to 16/10/2015 (the BRP valid until 30/10/2018). In November 2015, I received the email from the previous university saying that the previous visa will be shortened and asked me to leave the country within 60 days. But at that time, I was studying at the new university with the new Tier 4 visa, so I am not sure why they didn't cancel my previous Tier 4 visa when I applied for the new visa in September 2015.

In July 2018, I finished the programme and I continued doing a one-year taught Masters programme in September 2018, the new Tier 4 visa I received valid from 02/09/2018 to 02/10/2018 (the BRP valid until 29/03/2020). But unfortunately, due to personal and family reasons, I didn't complete the programme and finally, I withdrew the course in September 2019 but up to now, I haven't received any notice from the university about the cancellation of my current Tier 4 visa.

Now, my plan is to apply for a new one-year taught Masters programme starting in September 2020, but is it likely that my application for a new Tier 4 visa will be refused because of the 5-year cap? The courses I did during the past few years were engineering-related and if the new Master's programme I am going to apply for, for example, is Law-related, would it be possible for me to get a new Tier 4 visa?

I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice on this as it confusing me and I don't know whether it is feasible for me to do another Master's course in the U.K. Thank you very much.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Exceeding the 5-year visa cap?

Post by sah10406 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 am

Aaron720 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:20 pm
Now, my plan is to apply for a new one-year taught Masters programme starting in September 2020, but is it likely that my application for a new Tier 4 visa will be refused because of the 5-year cap?
Yes. I don't see how there is any ambiguity or doubt about it.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.