ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying Tier1 visa for wife + kid along with main applicant

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maybe
Newly Registered

Applying Tier1 visa for wife + kid along with main applicant

Post by maybe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:26 am

Hi,

I plan to apply for Tier1 visa for myself, along with my dependants (wife and 3 year old kid) from within UK.

I am currently working in UK for the last 3 months on a work permit sponsored by my company. (My dependants are on a dependant work permit visa)

How much minimum funds I need to show for all of us to qualify for Tier1 visa?

Thanks,

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:14 am

Since you are in uk for less than 12 months, you have to show 800 GBP for yourself and 1600 GBP for each dependent over last 3 months.
Last edited by CoolestGuyC on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

maybe
Newly Registered

Post by maybe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 am

Hi,

But I was not in India for all the time before coming to UK. I was in US for first 6 months, then 3 months in India and then last 3 months in UK.

Do I still need to show GBP 2800 for myself and GBP 1600 for each dependant?

I was under the impression that 800 for myself, 800 for my wife and 400 for my kid would be good enough.

Does anybody know for sure about this? This is becoming critical for my application.

Thanks,

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 am

Your not being in India before coming to uk would have no effect on the maintenance clause.

Surprisingly I could not find any maintenance clause for in-country applicants which would say like this
You have to show GBP 2800 for main applicant if you are in UK for less than 12 months. You have to show GBP 800 for main applicant if you are in UK for 12 months or more.
So I guess you can show GBP 800 for yourself.

But please read the dependents guidance notes given here:
If the main applicant under the highly skilled worker category is outside the United Kingdom or has been in the United Kingdom for less than 12 months, the family member must show that the main applicant or the dependant has at least £1,600 to support the dependant as well as the funds needed to support the main applicant.

If the main applicant has been present in the United Kingdom for 12 months or more, the main applicant or the family member of the highly skilled worker must have £533 to support himself/herself.

maybe
Newly Registered

Post by maybe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi,

I am not very clear of the process of applying for Tier1 visa for my myself (main applicant) along with my dependants (wife and kid).

Do the dependants also need to have a bank account? OR I just show that I have a minimum of 2400£ (£ 800 * 3) in my bank account in the last 3 months.

Thanks,

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi CoolestGuyC,
Are you sure you said 2800 GBP for an incountry application for a applicant who is here in UK for less than 12 months...

I think its 800 GBP... If you have mentioned it by mistake, can you please edit it...

Cheers
Arun
CoolestGuyC wrote:Since you are in uk for less than 12 months, you have to show 2800 GBP for yourself and 1600 GBP for each dependent over last 3 months.
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted
21 Jun 08 Ref. No. Recd. (dated 17 Jun)
19 Aug 08 recv call from CW to collect docs
Ref. No. : PB309*

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi Maybe,

Its very simple...

your an in-country applicant who is here in UK for less than 12 months.

So you have to have £800(yourself) + 1600(Spouse) + 1600(1Kid)

total is £4000 you have have as maint for 3 month period.

The main applican can hold this amount in his own account for his/her dependents. So you dont need your dependents to have a seperate account.

Please post in if your still not clear...

Cheers
Arun

maybe wrote:Hi,

I am not very clear of the process of applying for Tier1 visa for my myself (main applicant) along with my dependants (wife and kid).

Do the dependants also need to have a bank account? OR I just show that I have a minimum of 2400£ (£ 800 * 3) in my bank account in the last 3 months.

Thanks,
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:53 pm

But I was not in India for all the time before coming to UK. I was in US for first 6 months, then 3 months in India and then last 3 months in UK.

I was under the impression that 800 for myself, 800 for my wife and 400 for my kid would be good enough.

Does anybody know for sure about this? This is becoming critical for my application.

Thanks,
Looking through this and your other (frequent) posts, it seems clear that you haven't read through the Tier 1 policy completely. While you were spot on in the income calculations, you seem ignorant of many other aspects of the Tier 1 scheme. It will be in your best interest to take out a couple of hours and read the appropriate Tier 1 policy guidance(s) - before you decide to take the plunge.

Tier 1 policy guidance - main applicant
Tier 1 policy guidance - dependents

People usually take offence when it is suggested that they read the Tier 1 policy guidance *carefully*, but fail to realize that it is for their own good. Do remember that even a small error can result in refusal and 750 pounds go down the drain.

Leave it to you to decide what's best for you.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks,
How does living in US make difference? Maintenance (Funds) requirement differencites only UK and non-UK.

Tier One visa is for highly skilled candidates and a skilled person should post queries after thoroughly reading and understading the policy guide.

maybe
Newly Registered

Post by maybe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks everybody for the valuable suggestions.

1. Can I use multiple accounts (UK + Non-UK) to show the total of £ 4000?

2. For one of the banks, I do not have the bank statements but a letter from the bank stating the minimum balance maintained in the last 3 months. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks,

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 pm

1. Yes. Do remember none of the document can be more than 7 days old.
2. Yes

If might be very difficult for you to meet the condition of 7 days for non UK back account.

maybe
Newly Registered

Post by maybe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 pm

As per the policy guidelines:

For applications submitted in the UK, all evidence must be dated no more than one month before your application is submitted.

I believe, that all evidence will include both UK and non-UK documents.

Hence, in my case, I should ideally get a period of one month for all my documents. (Though I will try not to have documents older than a week)

Pls. correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi Rajesh,

7 days Criteria is applicable for UK Applicants also?

I was under an impression that it was only for India applicants. Can you please clarify on this. I hope "maybe" is a UK Applicant

Hi maybe,
If you dont have a statement, i think it would easier to get a duplicate statement rather than aasking for a letter....

Cheers
Arun

rajesh9pl wrote:1. Yes. Do remember none of the document can be more than 7 days old.
2. Yes

If might be very difficult for you to meet the condition of 7 days for non UK back account.
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 pm

UKVisas site says-As a general rule you must be able to support yourself for the entire duration of your stay in the UK without needing any help from public funds. Initially, in order to qualify under Tier 1 (General) Migrant you must be able to demonstrate that you have £2,800 for yourself and (where applicable) £1,600 for each dependant accompanying you and that you have held these amounts for a minimum period of 3 months immediately preceding and dated no more than 7 days prior to the date you submitted your application. The balance should not fall below the required minimum at any time during the 3 month period.

It does not differentiates UK or non UK.

Policy guide says-For applications submitted outside of the UK, all
evidence must be dated no more than 7 days before
the application is submitted.

For applications submitted in the UK, all evidence
must be dated no more than one month before the
application is submitted.

As you would be applying within UK, one month older evidence shouldn't be a problem. If I had to apply within UK, even then I would have implemented 7 days rule. In recent past, majority of rejections have been due to Maintenance Funds

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:59 pm

rajesh9pl wrote:UKVisas site says-As a general rule you must be able to support yourself for the entire duration of your stay in the UK without needing any help from public funds. Initially, in order to qualify under Tier 1 (General) Migrant you must be able to demonstrate that you have £2,800 for yourself and (where applicable) £1,600 for each dependant accompanying you......

Hi Rajesh,
Can you please provide us the link from which you have taken for the Maintenance amount details. I think you checking in VFS sites and not ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.....

The below is the extract from this site for maintenance...

There is no need to be any confusion... you can check it for your self...

Click here for Maintenance (funds)
The points awarded for maintenance (funds) if you are already inside the United Kingdom
You must score 10 points for maintenance (funds). These will be awarded if you are applying for permission to stay in the United Kingdom (known as 'leave to remain') and have £800 in available funds.

The points awarded for maintenance (funds) if you are applying from outside the United Kingdom
You must score 10 points for maintenance (funds). These will be awarded if you are applying to a British overseas entry clearance post for permission to come to the United Kingdom (known as 'entry clearance') and have £2,800 in available funds.

You must have the £2,800 in your account for at least three months before you apply, and be able to send documents that show the money has been there for three months.

You must prove your maintenance (funds) by sending the specified evidence to support your application, or your application will be refused.

Also its very clearly mentioned that, for ppl applying from with in UK, the document should not me more than 1 month old.... so no need to have it for less than 7 days...

Please be double sure before posting any information in the forum... Hope you dont take it personnally as I was mislead by some one like this in the same forum in the initial stages.... Thanks god somebody else corrected me...
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:53 am

Rajesh9pl - If the OP is applying from within UK (which he is), then you are quoting from a website which is *irrelevant* for OP. UKvisas website is for people applying for a visa from outside UK (i.e. - entry clearance / leave to enter) and not meant for people applying for leave to remain (i.e.- applying from within UK).

Coming back to point of contention here - for an in-country application, should banks statements from non-UK banks be dated within 7 days of the application or be dated within 1 month of the application?
maybe wrote:For applications submitted in the UK, all evidence must be dated no more than one month before your application is submitted.

I believe, that all evidence will include both UK and non-UK documents.
I suspect that at the time of drafting the policy guidance, the author wouldn't have imagined in-country applicants wanting to use non-UK bank statements as evidence. Hence no clear guidance for such peculiar circumstances. But this also doesn't mean that it is okay to assume that non-UK bank statements can also be dated within 1 month of the application, just as UK bank statements can be!! On the other hand, we know that applications in India require that a non-Indian bank statement must be dated within 7 days of the application, just as an Indian bank statement has to be! So if we follow 7 day rule in India, we should be okay following the 1 month rule in UK - irrespective of whether the bank account is held in the country where the application is being made or elsewhere. Right?? Maybe or maybe not!

Unless some one can confirm which of the two conditions actually works - based on one's personal experience, my suggestion would be that OP checks with UKBA directly - rather than risk 750 pounds on hearsay or assumption!

maybe wrote:For one of the banks, I do not have the bank statements but a letter from the bank stating the minimum balance maintained in the last 3 months. Will that be sufficient?
Yes, provided the letter contains all the information and details as prescribed in the Tier 1 policy guidance.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 am

arunkumarprs,

I was not addressing the amount required for applicants. I was addressing 7 days or 1 month rule for applicants.

Even for in-country (UK) applicants, if they have yet not completed 12 months then they too have to show GBP 1600 for each dependent.

I will retiterate what I wrote earlier. Since its not clear if one month old banks statements, of a non-UK bank account, would be acceptable, I will try to implement 7 days old rule for all the bank statements.

Mehta, Can you let me know where UKVisa says its content is only applicable for out-country applicants. Such information would be great.

Thanks,
Rajesh.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:31 pm

rajesh9pl wrote:Mehta, Can you let me know where UKVisa says its content is only applicable for out-country applicants. Such information would be great.
1. The UKVisas homepage has this to say
UKVisas Wesbite wrote: If you are already in the UK and need to change or extend your stay, or if you would like more information about work permits, British citizenship or asylum, please visit the main UK Border Agency website.
2. You need to understand the difference between "leave to enter / entry clearance" and "leave to remain". Once you have clarity on this, you'll understand who the target audience for this website is.
Read What is entry clearance and Where is entry clearance obtained

3. Select United Kingdom on this page of UKVisas website and see what it has to say for people wanting to apply for / extend "leave to remain".

regards

arunkumarprs

Post by arunkumarprs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Rajesh,

Its fine as long you don’t have anything surprising for us regarding UK Maintenance.... I don’t find any use in pointing the post where you said there is no difference between UK and Non UK applicant.... So let’s not discuss about it further...

Regarding duration of the statement, i feel UKBA has clearly said, for ppl applying from UK it need to be less than 1 month old. They didn’t distinct wise any condition depending upon the account’s nation. Its different only w.r.t to the applicant’s current location ... I don’t think there need to be any confusion for this..

But still, it would be gr8 if someone who has got approval by doing so, or if some one can get it clarified from UKBA directly, then it would be really useful for every one...

Cheers
Arun

rajesh9pl wrote:arunkumarprs,

I was not addressing the amount required for applicants. I was addressing 7 days or 1 month rule for applicants.

Even for in-country (UK) applicants, if they have yet not completed 12 months then they too have to show GBP 1600 for each dependent.

I will retiterate what I wrote earlier. Since its not clear if one month old banks statements, of a non-UK bank account, would be acceptable, I will try to implement 7 days old rule for all the bank statements.

Mehta, Can you let me know where UKVisa says its content is only applicable for out-country applicants. Such information would be great.

Thanks,
Rajesh.
WP to Tier1 - From UK

14 Jun 08 Appln Sent
16 Jun 08 HO Recd.
18 Jun 08 Fee deducted