ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shaunier
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by shaunier » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:07 am

Pleased to say my approval has come through! Timeline of mine so far:
Application Submitted: 1/9/2018
Application Received Confirmation: 4/10/2018
Approved and Address Confirmation Email: 23/9/2019

Was more shocked that, when I replied confirming my address is still the same, I got a lovely email the same day from a real person saying they don’t need anything else and my certificate and originals will be on their way!

Just wondering, how long will it now be until I receive the certificate and my original docs back? It’s nearly been 2 weeks since they confirmed all is ok and it will be sent, and haven’t yet got anything in the post?

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:08 am

Picked up my FBR certificate this morning. 🙌.
Date application received at London embassy was 17 September 2018 date on certificate is 24 September 2019. I did have to resubmit new photos which created a delay of nearly 2 weeks so I think I would have come in just under the 12 month mark.

And it's nearly my birthday 😁.

I was going to use Passport Express in Liverpool but if sending direct to Cork is just as quick, I may do that.

BrexitIrishman
inactive
Ireland

Post by BrexitIrishman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Interesting timelines. I noticed an earlier version of this forum quoted the Tánaiste saying that in 2018, 88% of applicants for FBR received their certificates within 6 months. Do people think the process has slowed down in 2019? I also read somewhere that they had employed more staff to work through the backlog. Anyone else aware of this?

theonlyh
Newly Registered

Post by theonlyh » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Certificate in hand this morning!

Entered on to FBR 26 September 2019.

On to the passport application now. I am going to use passport express but have some questions about the proof of name/address. Can I print off a bank statement and use that? The only utility bill I get is my mobile phone, will that be accepted?

shaunier
Newly Registered

Post by shaunier » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:20 pm

theonlyh wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:14 pm

On to the passport application now. I am going to use passport express but have some questions about the proof of name/address. Can I print off a bank statement and use that? The only utility bill I get is my mobile phone, will that be accepted?
Passport id and address requirements are not dissimilar to those needed to open a bank account. Mobile bills are not usually ever accepted, landline bills yes. Bank statement should be ok if printed if it includes your address, otherwise your bank should be able to order you a postal copy for free if you usually receive online statements. If you don’t have gas/ electric etc bills, do you have a council tax bill you can use? Council tax bills are accepted up to one years old rather than needing to be dated within the last 3 months like utility bills.

shaunier
Newly Registered

Post by shaunier » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:21 pm

theonlyh wrote:

By the way, how quickly did you receive your certificate after you got the address confirmation email? I’m still waiting for mine to come - it’s been 2 weeks since they asked me to confirm my address was ok!

shaunier
Newly Registered

Post by shaunier » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:21 pm

spiderplants wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:08 am
Date application received at London embassy was 17 September 2018 date on certificate is 24 September 2019. I did have to resubmit new photos which created a delay of nearly 2 weeks so I think I would have come in just under the 12 month mark.

I was going to use Passport Express in Liverpool but if sending direct to Cork is just as quick, I may do that.
By the way, how quickly did you receive your certificate after you got the address confirmation email? I’m still waiting for mine to come - it’s been 2 weeks since they asked me to confirm my address was ok!

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:43 pm

shaunier wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:21 pm
spiderplants wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:08 am

Email confirmation was same date as certificate. And delivery attempt was yesterday. But, I was already in communication with FBR and my email was because I was asking, so slightly different. I'm sure you'll hear next week.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Update:

I applied for my passport card, already holding a passport allows a person to apply online for the card and also renew.

I applied yesterday, 35 euro plus 5 shipping to the USA. I checked the tracker this morning and it is already being printed.. on a Sunday!

Also, In regards to the passport photo requirements changing as I mentioned previously, my cousin had her hair forward over the front of her shoulders and it was fine. Her sister applied about a month later and she was told the requirements changed, her hair had to be iver the back of her shoulders, must be able
To see the applicants ears.

If anyone is applying online for passport card or renewal and lives in the USA, there is not a place to enter the state of residence.. you must ebter it next to the CITY:

City/town: Anywhere, CA

This is not noted in the instructions, I had called Dublin and asked.... glad I did, she told me that the US applications are sent back by the post office for not having a state listed on the delivery address (mailed directly to applicant, not consulate.) .
Attachments
39CA9CE3-FB39-43E1-A670-725C1F47AF12.png
39CA9CE3-FB39-43E1-A670-725C1F47AF12.png (287.03 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

theonlyh
Newly Registered

Post by theonlyh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:10 pm

shaunier wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:21 pm
theonlyh wrote:

I confirmed address on 26 September and the certificate came on 4 October so a week later really. Missed the delivery so had to pick it up from the post office yesterday.
I am living at home with parents so have no bills at all with my name on 😫 will call the bank tomorrow and ask for one to be sent out. What about a letter from HMRC?

spike18
Newly Registered

Post by spike18 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Pumps100 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:37 pm
Pumps100 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 pm
Pumps100 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am
Postman delivered my FBR certificate and documents this morning 17th September 2019.

For completeness I will record the timeline.

25.8.18 - Submitted application to London Embassy

29.8.18 - Dfa Received email

10.9.19 - Dfa Confirmation if address email (377 days)

17.9.19 - FBR & Docs returned (384 days). Date of FBR admission 10.9.19.

Summary

From date of application received to receipt of FBR 384 days or 1 year 19 days.

Regards

Ian
Now moving on to the passport.

Visited Solicitors office this morning got my signature witnessed, photos and photocopy of passport page 'certified'. Used original proofs of address.

Then posted to Cork this afternoon 18.9.19.

Will update when passport in my hands.

Ian
Mission is finally over. Passport and my papers received today Friday 4th October 2019.

In summary since my received date of 29th August 2018 the process has taken 402 days or 1 year 1 month and 6 days with no queries or delays on my part.

Processing of the Passport was very good. Sent direct to Cork September 18th and received today October 4th - just over two weeks turnaround! Please note all that I was advised by the London Embassy to send direct - you can send it to the Embassy but they just collect and send it on to Cork. You are best to cut out unecessary links in the chain which could cause any delay.

Best advice I can give to anybody. Don't procrastinate - sooner your application for inclusion in the FBR is in the better. Don't delay because you are waiting for a cert from a relative - just buy new certs.

All the best to everyone and special thanks to Sulla for keeping this discussion alive.

Regards

Ian
Ian's rapid receipt of his passport calls into question the wisdom of using Passport Express. I applied for my passport in Liverpool a couple of days after Ian applied directly to Cork. He received his passport in just over two weeks. I was quoted up to a month by the Post Office in Liverpool and I am still waiting. Go figure, as they say!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:44 am

BrexitIrishman wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Thanks everyone. Helpful to know about email notifications. Every time I see the mail man coming I hear a soft lilting Celtic fiddle as I wait in eager anticipation for my certificate.

By the looks of the timescales so far, I could be waiting well into next year. Does anyone have any data yet on average figures based on people on this forum who have finally received their certificates? E.g. What's the longest waiting time since 2018 and has anyone from 2019 heard anything yet? Would be good to get some numbers if possible.

I'm hoping the luck of the Irish will kick in and I'll hear any day now within 6 months but I'm not holding my breath yet!

Slán
It takes a year now--I write the number on my calendar. Today is day 105 so I have 261 days to go (at least).2020 has a leap year so add a day! I actually believe it may be fewer days due to fewer applicants in the holiday times but that may just be wishful thinking & the whiskey talking
jgclancy

Pumps100

Post by Pumps100 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 am

spike18 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:38 pm
Pumps100 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:37 pm
[quote=Pumps100 post_id=1827554 time=1568818082
Mission is finally over. Passport and my papers received today Friday 4th October 2019.

In summary since my received date of 29th August 2018 the process has taken 402 days or 1 year 1 month and 6 days with no queries or delays on my part.

Processing of the Passport was very good. Sent direct to Cork September 18th and received today October 4th - just over two weeks turnaround! Please note all that I was advised by the London Embassy to send direct - you can send it to the Embassy but they just collect and send it on to Cork. You are best to cut out unecessary links in the chain which could cause any delay.

Best advice I can give to anybody. Don't procrastinate - sooner your application for inclusion in the FBR is in the better. Don't delay because you are waiting for a cert from a relative - just buy new certs.

All the best to everyone and special thanks to Sulla for keeping this discussion alive.

Regards

Ian
Ian's rapid receipt of his passport calls into question the wisdom of using Passport Express. I applied for my passport in Liverpool a couple of days after Ian applied directly to Cork. He received his passport in just over two weeks. I was quoted up to a month by the Post Office in Liverpool and I am still waiting. Go figure, as they say!
I concur. If you've waited circa 12 months for your FBR why use an alleged "express" service for the passport. Mine was 16 days by normal post both ways.

In my opinion best to go direct.

Ian

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am

Passport Express is the only acceptable mail applications - or at least this is what they say. The processing time is about 4 weeks for first-time passport applications, even for native Irish people who have lived in Ireland for all of their life.

As to why Ian was able to send his application directly to Cork and receive the passport in just 2 weeks, I don't know. Maybe there is an agreement between the Irish Embassy in the UK and the passport office in Cork?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 am

Actually just to correct myself - Passport Express is the only acceptable mail applications in Ireland. They do accept normal mail applications from outside Ireland, but I’m still surprised that it’s quicker than PE. The DFA website says it currently takes a minimum of 30 days to process a mail application while PE in the UK takes 15 days.
littlerr wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am
Passport Express is the only acceptable mail applications - or at least this is what they say. The processing time is about 4 weeks for first-time passport applications, even for native Irish people who have lived in Ireland for all of their life.

As to why Ian was able to send his application directly to Cork and receive the passport in just 2 weeks, I don't know. Maybe there is an agreement between the Irish Embassy in the UK and the passport office in Cork?

Pumps100

Post by Pumps100 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am

littlerr wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am

I received this email advice from the Irish Embassy in London. This is the advice I followed.

Ian

If you wish to submit your application at our London Office you are welcome to do so. We are located at 114A Cromwell Road, London, SW7 4ES. Opening hours: Monday - Friday, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm. This is the location of the Irish Passport Office, applications cannot be submitted at the main Embassy at Grosvenor Place.

Please be aware however that if you choose to submit your application the Passport Office, the application will not be processed here. We will be able to verify that you have completed the passport application form correctly and that you have all necessary supporting documentation for your application, however beyond this we will simply be forwarding your application by post to our Cork Office for processing. First time applications from those who are resident in Great Britain are processed at our Cork Office.

If you wish to post your application directly to our Cork Office for processing the address is as follows:

Passport Service of Ireland
Great Britain Unit
PO Box 907
South City DSU
CORK
Ireland
T12 C825

Unquote

spike18
Newly Registered

Post by spike18 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:07 pm

It seems to me that all Passport Express do, apart from performing some perfunctory checks, is package up and send the application to Cork. There would appear to be no other priority treatment given to a Passport Express application. So, it would seem wholly logical to send the application directly to Cork.

Why anyone would send an application to London (and suffer a likely two to three month wait) beats me!

spiderplants

Post by spiderplants » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 pm

My passport application form tells me to send it to Cork. It says you can use Passport Express but recommends sending directly to Cork.

Billy Hicks
Newly Registered

Post by Billy Hicks » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Billy Hicks wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:16 pm
Sent off passport application at the Gloucester Road office in London today. Happily I didn't have to surrender my British passport for an indefinite amount of time as they made a certified copy there and then and returned it to me. If all is correct hoping to have it in 6-8 weeks!
Now showing up on the online tracking website with an estimated issue date of 18th November, six weeks from today.

tess53
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by tess53 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 pm

I posted my Passport Application to Cork on 1st October from my local post office in Liverpool. I did send it as a tracked and signed for item. It was signed for at 8.20am this morning. The tracker has updated this afternoon and is giving an estimated issue date of 4th November. Fingers crossed ...

passlots
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by passlots » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic of foreign birth registration and seem to have no luck on finding my specific situation.

I am an Irish citizen (via foreign birth registration, born in South Africa) currently living in the UK. We are currently pregnant with our first child and would like our child to have Irish citizenship, like their parents. After researching how to obtain Irish citizenship for the newborn, via the foreign birth registration process (the baby will be born in the UK), one of the documents that needs to be submitted is government ID (ie a passport from another nation, drivers license etc..). Obviously, as a newborn, the drivers license is not applicable! This leaves needing to produce a passport. After contacting the embassy, it seems like you have to be a citizen of another country in order to complete a FBR, which I can't wrap my head around.

I do realise that as an Irish citizen living in the UK, baby will be able to become a UK citizen, but other countries do not always offer these privileges. It seems the only path of baby becoming Irish, is to first become British and then complete the Irish FBR application, followed by the Irish passport application. It seems somewhat unpatriotic to force citizens to become another citizen first in order to complete the application.

Has anyone else encountered the above situation?

We appear to have no choice but to follow the British path first, and then we will be left with the decision of whether the Irish application is even worth the hassle thereafter, given current 1+ year processing times. We also want to be able to travel and take baby to see family during the first year and can't be left waiting 1+ years before visiting anyone.

Thank you for any help and I hope I'm not the only one that's encountered this situation before

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 pm

passlots wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 pm
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic of foreign birth registration and seem to have no luck on finding my specific situation.

I am an Irish citizen (via foreign birth registration, born in South Africa) currently living in the UK. We are currently pregnant with our first child and would like our child to have Irish citizenship, like their parents. After researching how to obtain Irish citizenship for the newborn, via the foreign birth registration process (the baby will be born in the UK), one of the documents that needs to be submitted is government ID (ie a passport from another nation, drivers license etc..). Obviously, as a newborn, the drivers license is not applicable! This leaves needing to produce a passport. After contacting the embassy, it seems like you have to be a citizen of another country in order to complete a FBR, which I can't wrap my head around.

I do realise that as an Irish citizen living in the UK, baby will be able to become a UK citizen, but other countries do not always offer these privileges. It seems the only path of baby becoming Irish, is to first become British and then complete the Irish FBR application, followed by the Irish passport application. It seems somewhat unpatriotic to force citizens to become another citizen first in order to complete the application.

Has anyone else encountered the above situation?

We appear to have no choice but to follow the British path first, and then we will be left with the decision of whether the Irish application is even worth the hassle thereafter, given current 1+ year processing times. We also want to be able to travel and take baby to see family during the first year and can't be left waiting 1+ years before visiting anyone.

Thank you for any help and I hope I'm not the only one that's encountered this situation before
From what you're saying I'd say they are correct. The child needs to be born. You have citizenship via Foreign Birth Registry so the child has to be added to FBR. (Every generation afterwards will have to add their offspring to FBR to keep Irish citizenship as well.) To do that you need to supply the child's birth certificate when adding to the FBR. The child could be born in any other country as well but you need proof of birth first.You need to prove the child was born in another country. The name of the agency is FOREIGN birth Registry for a reason. ---You are not native born in Ireland so rules are different That's hy they have the FBR.
jgclancy

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:54 pm

passlots wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 pm
...We are currently pregnant with our first child and would like our child to have Irish citizenship, like their parents. After researching how to obtain Irish citizenship for the newborn, via the foreign birth registration process (the baby will be born in the UK)...
Have you checked out what the maternity facilities are like in Belfast or Dublin hospitals?

(Not an entirely serious suggestion, but it is one way of achieving your objective.)

SonicBoom3
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by SonicBoom3 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi Sulla

I am on your list (Sonic Boom) as one of the August 2018 applicants (28th) - I was added to FBR 30th August 2019.

Passport application now going to off to Cork - see how long that takes!

Donal

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Looks like they are hiring temp staff for passport and foreign birth applications in Balbriggan. Even mentions about citizenship applications ....

https://www.jobalert.ie/job/5d9b818f70d646001d2e1ff6