ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help to buy ISA with spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

souperphly

Help to buy ISA with spouse visa

Post by souperphly » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:05 am

Hi,

My husband is in his first 2.5year period of his FLR(m) visa and I'm wondering if he would be eligible to open a Help to Buy: ISA.

On the ISA t&c's it states:

To save into a Help to Buy: ISA with NatWest you need to meet the following criteria:
Are resident in the UK for tax purposes or, if not so resident, either perform duties which are treated as being performed in the United Kingdom in accordance with the Income Tax (Earnings & Pensions) Act 2003, or are married to, or in a civil partnership with such a person.

As he is married to me (a UK, tax paying citizen) it would suggest that he meets the criteria. However, his visa states that he should have no access to public funds etc, so i'm wondering if the government Help to Buy bonus is classified as a public fund.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Thanks a lot.

Phil

geoeng
Canada

Re: Help to buy ISA with spouse visa

Post by geoeng » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:20 am

I have a spouse visa and had no problems setting one up. As the requirements state only residence in the UK is required to be eligible, I don't think it is considered public funds for the purposes of the visa.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

souperphly

Post by souperphly » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks for your reply. That's good news! :)

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Certainly is! Free money is always nice. I'd also suggest looking at a Lifetime ISA if you haven't already. Depending on your circumstances, ability to pay in and when you plan to buy, you may get more out of it.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

souperphly

Post by souperphly » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated! :D