ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How far in advance to submit FLR(M)?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mcs116
Newly Registered

How far in advance to submit FLR(M)?

Post by mcs116 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am

Hello,

My wife and I are preparing the first renewal of her spouse visa, i.e. FLR(M). Her BRP expires on the 4th January 2020, and she arrived in the UK on the 19th April 2017. We definitely want to avoid applying too soon and having to apply for an extra FLR(M) to get to the 60 month requirement for ILR, but I'd really like some advice on what the earliest we can apply is.

I've seen guidance here and elsewhere to the effect that
if you are currently in the UK on a spouse visa, the date of application should not be more than 28 days before your current spouse visa expires.
However, based on her arrival time in the UK, she will have been here for 3 years and 6 months on the 19th October 2019. If we applied to renew at that point, another 30 months would take us to the five year requirement (and even with super priority I don't see the BRP being issued for a week or two). I've also read that up to 28 days of the remaining leave to remain can be added to your new BRP length.

On that basis it looks to me like in our case we could apply up to 77 days (4/1/20 minus 19/10/19) before expiry and still be okay, or earlier if the extra 28 days of remaining leave are included. I'm very ready to be challenged on that though - would love to have the benefit of more experienced eyes on this! Would anyone be able to comment?

To be clear, I don't plan on submitting on the 19th October itself, but we might look to submit via super priority before the end of October just to get it out of the way and try and get my wife's passport back before Christmas.

Thanks so much in advance!
Mike

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How far in advance to submit FLR(M)?

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am

How has she been in the UK for 3 years 6 months in October 2019 if she arrived in the UK on April 2017? Is the 3 years a typo?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mcs116
Newly Registered

Post by mcs116 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Oh boy. Yes, that was a typo. *2 years and 6 months.
Sorry!
Any thoughts still welcome :)
Mike

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:53 pm

She can apply within 28 days before reaching 30 months residence from the date of entry but must apply no later than before her current visa expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm

mcs116 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:51 pm
Oh boy. Yes, that was a typo. *2 years and 6 months.
Sorry!
Any thoughts still welcome :)
Mike
The initial entry clearance for a spouse visa is granted for a period of 33 months, so if you arrive in the UK fairly soon after receiving the visa than you have a few extra months to play with vs. someone who moves over a few months into the visa validity period. You seem to have figured out a date that works for you to meet the 5 year requirement for ILR, note that this is 60 months in the UK and not 60 months with a valid visa (again, you seem to be aware of this already though).
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

mcs116
Newly Registered

Post by mcs116 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Many thanks, CR001 and geoeng. That makes sense to me. I guess that's how the system was meant to work - not opening the visa application window until you're likely to meet the 5 year requirement.
Grateful for the speedy responses!
Mike

London_calling
Newly Registered

Post by London_calling » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Hey

My wife and I are in the exact same situation (except she arrived here on 06/04/2017 and her visa expires on 03 Jan 2020).

We are planning exactly the same as you described above and have already prepared the draft application which we are thinking of submitting anytime now before the end of the month - we are okay with 8 weeks decision for the standard application though need to factor in Sopra Steria appointment and the Christmas break.

Best wishes

H