ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

maxrine
Newly Registered

UK Passport Application Question

Post by maxrine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi everyone, I applied for British citizenship through naturalisation and I have issues with the passport application. I am currently overseas for a year abroad study (in Japan with a student visa for 10 months under my UK university, my nationality is Turkish). This is my timeline for naturalisation:

Application Timeline
Eligibility criteria: 5 yr + 1yr IRL
Language criteria: B1 Test
Method of application: Online + UKVCAS
Date of application: 22/06/2019
Date biometrics enrolled: 07/07/2019
Date on Approval letter: 09/09/2019
Date of receipt of approval: 16/10/2019
Date of Ceremony: 13/11/2019
Date of Passport Application: TBC
Date of debit of fees: TBC
Date Passport received: TBC

My application got approved way quicker than I imagined (I thought the earliest approval would be in November). I planned to come back from Japan in late December to do my ceremony and stay a month+ to get my UK passport and return to my year abroad (we have a long winter break). But now, I have to go back to the UK in November and I can only miss 2 weeks of classes even though I informed my universities about the urgency of the situation. I have been told that a passport interview is mandatory. Would I be able to do my passport interview in a British embassy/consulate in Japan? If I can't, would you be able to tell me how quick the letter for the interview comes? I plan to send my biometric card as soon after the ceremony on the same day and apply for the passport on the same day as well. I asked my solicitor but I didn't get a useful reply (she actually wrongly informed me and said passport interviews aren't a thing).

I am only in Japan for 10 months but it is a mandatory year for me to progress to my final year in my UK university.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK Passport Application Question

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Interviews are rare these days and passport applications currently take 2 to 3 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

maxrine
Newly Registered

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

Post by maxrine » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:08 am

Hello, I need to go abroad urgently after my citizenship ceremony and I don't have the time to wait for the British Passport (I will cut up and send my BRP card). I was planning to apply for CoE when I'm abroad. However, I will be back in the UK in the winter and I would like to apply for a British passport then. I know that you can't possess both CoE and British passport so my question is if I apply for the passport would my application be refused or would my CoE be canceled? If it can be cancelled when I'm back in the UK I would prefer that. Also, my other country allows dual citizenship, so I have no problem holding a British passport as well as my own.

Plotoder
India

Re: Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

Post by Plotoder » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:42 am

You will be taking extreme risk by applying for your first British passport from outside U.K., especially if you are a dual citizen.

Please see http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 87178.html for a recent example, where the revocation process has been initiated for a similar case.

Proceed cautiously.