ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

NIELK83
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by NIELK83 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 am

Luke125SWalker wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:36 pm
NIELK83 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am
Hi,

I submitted my 2 kids FBR applications in June 2019 after a long wait to get outstanding documents in order.

FBR TIMELINE:
Online Applications submitted and paid for: 24 June 2019
Applications and Supporting Documents received by Irish Embassy in Pretoria (South Africa): 27 June 2019
Email from dfat.ie stating that applications and supporting documentation have been received: 16 July 2019

I'm hoping that I receive their FBR certificates by March 2020 (7 - 8 months from receipt in Ireland). Based on other forum user's experiences, the usual timeframe seems to be 12 months in total as many UK applicants' applications take a few months to actually get to Ireland (2-3 months out of the 12).

Hopefully have some good news in the coming months as the wait continues.
My application from Pretoria took 9 months. The embassy told me that it usually takes 10 months max from S.A.
Great, thanks for the confirmation Luke125SWalker. 9-10 months takes it to April/May 2020. Will take that!

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 am

Congrats to all whom have received or going to have their hands on the long awaited FBR certificate.

I found this article just now about the numbers on the FBR and passport could be the same as the previous post by myself but this an updated article with the mention of further improvements to be made i both departments of the FBR section and passport division both under the DFA.

https://www.thejournal.ie/foreign-birth ... 5-Oct2019/

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Quick question about passport application - I know, I know, I still haven't got around to applying for it!

Just been filling in the form and it says to put mother's maiden name as it is on the birth certificate. I don't need to send that certificate too do I? (I hope not cause I would have to send off for that ) I didn't need it for the FBR application.

I am confused about what documents you do need to send - Embassy seems to have conflicting information to the main website.

Can someone clarify what is needed;

FBR certificate
Birth certificate
Proof of name
Proof of address
certified document
and obviously the application form and photo's

Anything else?

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered

Post by tomriddle2u » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Docs you will need.
Foreign Birth Registration certificate
Your Full civil birth certificate (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s).
Your Civil marriage certificate (if requesting the passport in your married name).
Proof of address.
Copy of your Public Services Card if resident in Ireland
If resident outside of Ireland submit:
Original passport from another country, national ID card, social security card or a certified (by a solicitor or notary public) copy of your driver’s license
Proof of name.

Accepted examples of proof of address:
Original utility bills
Bank statements
Government correspondence
Accepted examples of proof of name:
Original utility bills
Bank statements

Your mother's maiden name is just for the application form you won't need to submit her birth cert or anything. Hope this helps

Asdf1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Asdf1234 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi,
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here, but I wanted to let you know that I received a confirmation of mailing address email so my son’s application will be processed shortly. I originally sent my son’s application directly to Dublin (from Canada).

Date received by Dublin: Dec 6, 2018
Confirmation of address email: Oct 11, 2019

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks Tomriddle2U for clearing that up for me.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Asdf1234 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm
Hi,
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here, but I wanted to let you know that I received a confirmation of mailing address email so my son’s application will be processed shortly. I originally sent my son’s application directly to Dublin (from Canada).

Hey!

Thats great news that you have received the confirmation. Would you mind posting when you do get the certificate please? My date received by Dublin is Jan 10, 2019. Id be ecstatic if it was sent earlier than 12 months.

Thanks,

JohnMHouston
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by JohnMHouston » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:56 pm

I applied for Foreign Birth Registration on 17th September 2018 and received my FBR Certificate on 13th September 2019. I originally applied to the Irish Embassy in London. Due I suppose to increased applications from the UK it was sent to Balbriggan Co Dublin for processing. I have now applied to Cork for my first passport. It arrived there today Friday 11th October 2019. I will post again when I receive my passport - although first time applications have a minimum of 70 days processing time. All in all it’s been somewhat expensive and in my opinion well worth it - John

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:48 pm

JohnMHouston wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:56 pm
I applied for Foreign Birth Registration on 17th September 2018 and received my FBR Certificate on 13th September 2019. I originally applied to the Irish Embassy in London. Due I suppose to increased applications from the UK it was sent to Balbriggan Co Dublin for processing. I have now applied to Cork for my first passport. It arrived there today Friday 11th October 2019. I will post again when I receive my passport - although first time applications have a minimum of 70 days processing time. All in all it’s been somewhat expensive and in my opinion well worth it - John
Congrats on getting on the list and hope the passport comes quickly....jgclancy

JohnMHouston
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by JohnMHouston » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Thank you very much indeed - it has taken a lot of time

Asdf1234
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Asdf1234 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:22 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Asdf1234 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm
Hi,

Hey!

Thats great news that you have received the confirmation. Would you mind posting when you do get the certificate please? My date received by Dublin is Jan 10, 2019. Id be ecstatic if it was sent earlier than 12 months.

Thanks,
I will keep you updated on when I receive the ceritifcate.

spike18
Newly Registered

Post by spike18 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm pleased to say that my journey is now complete.

My timeline is as follows:
Documents posted to London: 17th September 2018
Notification of receipt email: 20th September 2018
FBR entry: 11th September 2019
FBR Receipt: 16th September 2019
Passport applied for via Passport Express: 20th September 2019
Passport Received: 12th October 2019

All in all, just under 13 months from beginning to end. I'm not sure Passport Express is worthwhile. Direct application to Cork seems to be quicker.

Good luck to all those waiting and thank you, again, to Sulla for his fine work here.

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm

passlots wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 pm
We appear to have no choice but to follow the British path first, and then we will be left with the decision of whether the Irish application is even worth the hassle thereafter, given current 1+ year processing times. We also want to be able to travel and take baby to see family during the first year and can't be left waiting 1+ years before visiting anyone.
I'm British (born and raised in the UK) - but I technically already had Irish citizenship because my dad was born in Northern Ireland (Belfast).
I applied for my Irish passport just after the EU referendum - I just had to get my dad's birth certificate from the Northern Ireland Records Office and his death certificate from the England and Wales Records place, which was all online. Then fill in the regular passport application form and I had my Irish passport within 3 weeks of deciding I was going to apply (including the time taken to get my dad's documents from the two separate UK authorities!)

Skip to April this year - my wife gave birth to our first child, we'd decided to get our child Irish citizenship as soon as we found out my wife was pregnant.

We obviously were always going to get her (our daughter) a British passport - but did try to go straight in for the Irish first - because Brexit. We came across the same issue.

The only way to do it was to get her a British passport first. My wife and I are both British born so I guess it was a simple application, we had her UK passport within two weeks of applying.

I submitted the application for her entry onto the Irish FBR, online, on the 29th of April 2019. It took a few weeks to get the documents for her together as we needed stuff like a letter from her doctor which took a lot of back and forth with the doctor's surgery for us to get. I posted the application and documents direct to Balbriggan a few weeks later and got a confirmation email on the 21st of May 2019, the email said it might take 'up to 6 months' to process.

Nothing since. It hasn't been 6 months yet though - I was hoping for November but reading everything here, I'm not so sure!

My wife claimed Dutch citizenship through her mum - it was quite an involved process, which involved going to the embassy in London and having fingerprints taken! That only took about a month!

(Hi everyone by the way - first post)

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:49 pm

tomriddle2u wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Docs you will need.
Your Full civil birth certificate (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s).
Your Civil marriage certificate (if requesting the passport in your married name).
Proof of address.
Original passport from another country, national ID card, social security card or a certified (by a solicitor or notary public) copy of your driver’s license
Proof of name.

Original utility bills
Bank statements
Original utility bills
Bank statements

Your mother's maiden name is just for the application form you won't need to submit her birth cert or anything. Hope this helps
Hey!
Just to clarify for the proof of address and proof of name. Do you need all three of the examples or just one for each? Also what counts as a Government correspondence?

Thanks.

maddeningbike
Newly Registered

Post by maddeningbike » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm

maddeningbike wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 pm
I sent my passport application off today. Hopefully won't be too long until I hear back.
It's been a while since I checked in. So I sent off my passport application 14/09/2019 and it was reeived on 20/09/2019. My passport was dispatched on 30/09/2019 and I got it in the post last Saturday, 05/10/2019. Really quick turnaround! Three weeks in total, including post to and from Cork.

My journey is over, though I'm tempted by the passport card 🤔

Thanks to everyone here, it was nice to know that I wasn't alone in my wait for the FBR. Hopefully not long for evereyone else, too.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:49 pm
tomriddle2u wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Docs you will need.
Proof of address.
Proof of name.

Original utility bills
Bank statements
Original utility bills
Bank statements

Hey!
Just to clarify for the proof of address and proof of name. Do you need all three of the examples or just one for each? Also what counts as a Government correspondence?

Thanks.
If you live abroad, you need to submit 3x proof of address. That could be 3 utility bills or 3 statements from different banks. You do not need to have one example of each acceptable type.

Government correspondence would include letters from authorities regarding benefits claims, correspondence from Revenue Canada or many other examples of letters you could have received from local police or government agencies. I sent a criminal records search from the local police station as one of mine.

I just had to send in 3 x proofs of address together with a notarized copy of my ID. Therefore, 3 documents bearing my full name and address from the categories Tom Riddle provided. There was no necessity to provide 3 for proof of address and a different 3 for proof of name. I don't think this has changed.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:03 pm

spike18 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:08 pm
I'm pleased to say that my journey is now complete.

My timeline is as follows:
Documents posted to London: 17th September 2018
Notification of receipt email: 20th September 2018
FBR entry: 11th September 2019
FBR Receipt: 16th September 2019
Passport applied for via Passport Express: 20th September 2019
Passport Received: 12th October 2019

All in all, just under 13 months from beginning to end. I'm not sure Passport Express is worthwhile. Direct application to Cork seems to be quicker.

Good luck to all those waiting and thank you, again, to Sulla for his fine work here.
That's great Spike. Happy to hear everything is now received. Thanks for the kind words.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 pm

maddeningbike wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm
maddeningbike wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 pm
I sent my passport application off today. Hopefully won't be too long until I hear back.
It's been a while since I checked in. So I sent off my passport application 14/09/2019 and it was reeived on 20/09/2019. My passport was dispatched on 30/09/2019 and I got it in the post last Saturday, 05/10/2019. Really quick turnaround! Three weeks in total, including post to and from Cork.

My journey is over, though I'm tempted by the passport card 🤔

Thanks to everyone here, it was nice to know that I wasn't alone in my wait for the FBR. Hopefully not long for evereyone else, too.
Great to hear you got the passport in good time. I was also curious about the passport card. However, as I read up on it, I found it was pretty redundant for me since I don't live in Ireland and seldom venture to Europe. If I did live there, I would surely pick one up though.

Jacqui309

Post by Jacqui309 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm

In the hope my certificate arrives soon I have started to look at the passport application. It says the witness has to stamp the photo. I work in a hospital so surrounded by suitable people but none of them will have a stamp! What do I do. The Medical Director witnessed my passport copy for the fbr and he had to email from an NHS account as proof.

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Jacqui309 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm
In the hope my certificate arrives soon I have started to look at the passport application. It says the witness has to stamp the photo. I work in a hospital so surrounded by suitable people but none of them will have a stamp! What do I do. The Medical Director witnessed my passport copy for the fbr and he had to email from an NHS account as proof.
You can put their business card or headed paper in, if I recall correctly. I had my passport application stamped by the manager of my Building Society but it smudged so much it was unreadable so I just got one of his business cards and put it in with the application. - I'm sure it says on the form somewhere that this is acceptable.

When I did my daughter's FBR, it was witnessed by our cat's vet. He didn't have a stamp so I put in one of his appointment cards, which is pretty much a business card with a space to write your next appointment on. They seem to have accepted that.

I also got them to sign, print, date and write 'This is a true likeness of...' on the back of each photo.

amcbamcb
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amcbamcb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Hello everyone! Can someone let me know if there is a thread for applying for/receiving Irish passports after receiving your FBR? I applied in August for an Irish passport for my 3 children (who received their FBRs) through the NY Embassy in August and only 1 of my children received her Irish passport. That was a month ago and my other 2 children have not received their passports. There are no live people to speak with at the NY Embassy and no one is answering my email queries. Anyone go through the NY Embassy for passports and have a special phone number for speaking to a live person? Thank you!

Rob9
Newly Registered

Post by Rob9 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi Sulla,

Latest update :-

Application sent to Edinburgh by Royal Mail Special Delivery 11 Dec 2018.

E-Mail received from Ireland on the 21 Mar 2019.

Phone message and E-Mail received from Balbriggan today 14 Oct 2019, asking for confirmation of Home Address. I contacted the FBR Centre and was told my application had been approved and the FBR Certificate would soon be dispatched and take approximately 3 weeks for receipt. So fingers and toes crossed.

Once I receive the FBR Certificate I'll be using the "Post Office Express Delivery Service" in Glasgow, when applying for the Irish Passport. I'll keep you posted.

As stated previously; still a Fantastic job your doing, very well done.

Rob9

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Rob9 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Hi Sulla,

Latest update :-

Application sent to Edinburgh by Royal Mail Special Delivery 11 Dec 2018.

E-Mail received from Ireland on the 21 Mar 2019.

Phone message and E-Mail received from Balbriggan today 14 Oct 2019, asking for confirmation of Home Address. I contacted the FBR Centre and was told my application had been approved and the FBR Certificate would soon be dispatched and take approximately 3 weeks for receipt. So fingers and toes crossed.

Once I receive the FBR Certificate I'll be using the "Post Office Express Delivery Service" in Glasgow, when applying for the Irish Passport. I'll keep you posted.

As stated previously; still a Fantastic job your doing, very well done.

Rob9
Good for ya--Congrats!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am

amcbamcb wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm
Hello everyone! Can someone let me know if there is a thread for applying for/receiving Irish passports after receiving your FBR? I applied in August for an Irish passport for my 3 children (who received their FBRs) through the NY Embassy in August and only 1 of my children received her Irish passport. That was a month ago and my other 2 children have not received their passports. There are no live people to speak with at the NY Embassy and no one is answering my email queries. Anyone go through the NY Embassy for passports and have a special phone number for speaking to a live person? Thank you!
Have you used the passport tracker and the webchat option to confirm that the other 2 passports have actually been printed and dispatched?

Is the consulate involved in posting the passports to applicants in the US? I thought that Michael got his passport in rapid fashion direct from Ireland?

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 am

Passport application taken to the embassy today, so they have my FBR back again. Said everything is fine and it will be about 6 weeks - very vague, I had to ask how long it would be and will the tracker let me know when it is ready to collect. I will be glad when this is all completed. Got home to a missed call on my phone (never hear it in my bag when out and about) the number is very similar to that of the embassy (the call was around the time I was there- perhaps outside the building) I don't want to call it back in case it is a scam call and I end up with a whopping phone bill and the embassy number is keyed in my phone so I figure if it is important they will call back as they said it was all okay and the call was now 4 hours ago guessing it wasn't them. Can't think why they would call anyway so quickly afterwards.

The passport information that I read on the embassy site for tracking was that the embassy processes it first and then it is sent to Dublin and they can't answer any questions until it shows on the tracker, if it is on the tracker then Dublin should be able to help you. Would it be a real pain to go in person to the NY embassy?