ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner’s citizenship certificate lost

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cardiffboy
Newly Registered

Partner’s citizenship certificate lost

Post by cardiffboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:06 pm

I hv got ILR September 2019 based on 10 years legal residents rote . My wife is a nutaralised British citizen . Now I wanted to apply for my citizenship and on the application it’s asking about my wife’s citizenship certificate reference number and it’s asking for date Of citizenship certificate .
My wife has her British passport but she I unfortunately lost her citizenship certificate .

Can I apply without her citizenship certificate and on cover letter can I explain as it’s been lost ??

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Partner’s citizenship certificate lost

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 pm

cardiffboy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:06 pm
I hv got ILR September 2019 based on 10 years legal residents rote . My wife is a nutaralised British citizen . Now I wanted to apply for my citizenship and on the application it’s asking about my wife’s citizenship certificate reference number and it’s asking for date Of citizenship certificate .
My wife has her British passport but she I unfortunately lost her citizenship certificate .

Can I apply without her citizenship certificate and on cover letter can I explain as it’s been lost ??
Have you looked at this link?

https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 pm

You can do that an assume they will find out. But there is a residual risk that they refuse because you couldn't demonstrate that you are married to a British citizen.

She can get a replacement certificate for £250:

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Given you do not have to send originals with the new system, you could have saved yourself £250 if you had kept a copy of it.

Do you have a copy of that certificate?

If not, you will have to apply for a replacement as advised above.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

katanayi
Mood:

Post by katanayi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:34 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:40 pm
Given you do not have to send originals with the new system, you could have saved yourself £250 if you had kept a copy of it.

Thats incorrect, HMPO do not accept photocopy, it has been clearly mentioned.
Lately, some posted regarding laminated certificate where passport office returned and asked for replacement copy.

cardiffboy
Newly Registered

Post by cardiffboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 pm
You can do that an assume they will find out. But there is a residual risk that they refuse because you couldn't demonstrate that you are married to a British citizen.

To proof that I am married to a British citizen , e n show original British passport of my wife ... although I have lost citizenship certificate ,,
Can’t the passport proof she is British ??

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:48 pm

katanayi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:34 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Thats incorrect, HMPO do not accept photocopy, it has been clearly mentioned.
Lately, some posted regarding laminated certificate where passport office returned and asked for replacement copy.
OP is not applying for a British Passport. He is applying for his naturalisation and only needs spouse’s certificate number or a copy to upload!
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:51 pm

cardiffboy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:41 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 pm

To proof that I am married to a British citizen , e n show original British passport of my wife ... although I have lost citizenship certificate ,,
Can’t the passport proof she is British ??
British Passport alone is NOT a proof of British Citizenship. It is just a travel document. The proof she is British is the Citizenship Certificate which is her claim to BC.

katanayi
Mood:

Post by katanayi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:19 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:48 pm

OP is not applying for a British Passport. He is applying for his naturalisation and only needs spouse’s certificate number or a copy to upload!
my bad missed it, cheers