ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling during gnib renewal

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Os88
Newly Registered
Ireland

Traveling during gnib renewal

Post by Os88 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Currently renewing my gnib card, so they have stamped my passport with new visa and I am now waiting for the new card that wont be ready for another 3 weeks. Can i travel meanwhile with my old gnib card and passport (has new valid visa stamp) ?

Bealtaine
Ireland

Re: Traveling during gnib renewal

Post by Bealtaine » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:51 pm

I wouldn’t without a letter, etc of some description from your local Garda station/INIS stating you’re card is currently being processed and that you are a lawful citizen on stamp X valid until xx as reflected on your passport.

To be honest, I’d rather wait for the new card before I travel if I didn’t have to travel for an emergency.

Os88
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Os88 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 am

Thanks for your response buddy. It is actually an urgent work trip, so I will head to the station and see what they say.

Bealtaine
Ireland

Post by Bealtaine » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:28 am

Buddette? :) You’re welcome!

Sorry meant a lawful resident*
All the best!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:29 pm

When you get back to Ireland, the immigration will have your details in their system, so it’s not a big deal. However, the question is whether your departing country and airline would allow you to board the plane without a valid IRP card. Previously we still have re-entry visas. Now that this has been abolished, some airlines may deny boarding if you have no valid re-entry visas or IRP cards. Your stamp on your passport is not a recognised valid form of entry permit by flight operators.

together_2017
Mood:
Ireland

Post by together_2017 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi,

Had a same situation needed to travel UK and return back Dublin, no problem at all. 3months ago. Just say to Ireland immigration waiting for card that's all he didn't even bother to ask anything else.

man_lo
Newly Registered
Gabon

Post by man_lo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:57 pm

I had a same situation, i sent my GNIB for citizenship and traveled to spain without it and rynair did not let me to board on the plane. i had to fly to Madrit from barcelona and get visa to Ireland. so i would not advise you to do the same mistake i did

Os88
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Os88 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the input everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I traveled to UK (aerlingus) and back without any issues. On my entry back the passport control officer took the expired card. Then when i went to pick up the new card at the garda station he asked about the old card so I explained and I got the new RP without any issues.

afct0008
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by afct0008 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Does anyone know if you get stamped an entry in your passport when you have a valid resent card? DO they actually stamp your passport or just swipe the card and let you in

TOL
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by TOL » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm

They do both

gzckrg
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gzckrg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:31 am

Safest way is to ask for a visa from INIS. They give you a visa if you have a valid stamp but waiting for GNIB card. You need to send them the copy of your flight tickets as they give visa valid for the duration of the trip, not for whole duration of gnib card.
I explained it under this post for someone else.

ireland/got-approval-letter-but-gnib-is ... l#p1842550