ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS application process, passport and travelling

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

agnetha007

EUSS application process, passport and travelling

Post by agnetha007 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 pm

A few questions about the EUSS application process for the family members of an EU citizen without a biometric card, applying for the 'pre-settled' status:
  1. Will it be necessary to post the passport to UKVI? Perhaps it is possible to simply scan it and provide a copy when giving the biometrics?
  2. If a passport copy is enough and UKVI will not take and hold the passport, then is it fine to travel? Basically, would leaving the UK (temporarily, for holidays, etc) automatically cancel/void the application?
  3. When the family member arrives on EUSS Family Permit, do we need to wait for 1 month (or some other period of time) or we can apply as soon as a piece of evidence of living in the UK is obtained (bank statement, bill, etc)?
We have contradicting information regarding the first question. According to the EUSS case worker guidance (page 8, "Application process"):
Other than for proof of their identity and nationality or entitlement to apply from outside the UK, applicants may submit a photocopy, photograph or scanned digital image of any required
evidence.
This suggests that the photocopy of the passport might not be enough. The overview post in this forum mentions that the application is "online+post" (presumably, the passport would have to be posted with other documents). However, as I understand, the application can be made via UKVAS and according to the information page here everything is scanned there. At least one member of this forum also mentioned that a passport scan is enough. Can somebody confirm/explain this with certainty?

Thanks.

agnetha007

Re: EU Settlement Scheme application process, passport and travelling

Post by agnetha007 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 am

Any comment? :?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:35 am

agnetha007 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 pm
[*] Will it be necessary to post the passport to UKVI?
According to the most up-to date information here, yes. This is because there are now three different ways to apply:
  • a) App
  • b) Post
  • c) Identity document scanning location

The only way to use either the a) App or the c) Identity scanning location options (which are basically the same; the scanning location is a place where someone uses the App for you) is if you already have a biometric residence card. Not your case, so the only option left for you is b) Post.
Perhaps it is possible to simply scan it and provide a copy when giving the biometrics?
No, because you need to complete your application and submit it (for which your identity document is needed) before you can do biometrics.
[*] If a passport copy is enough and UKVI will not take and hold the passport, then is it fine to travel? Basically, would leaving the UK (temporarily, for holidays, etc) automatically cancel/void the application?
I have been unable to find definitive information regarding this, and there is no option for "Settlement Scheme" in the standard form one can use for requesting your passport back while your application is in progress, that is available for other types of visas. This leads me to think that the timeframe for decision is fast enough this isn't really an issue.
[*] When the family member arrives on EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit, do we need to wait for 1 month (or some other period of time) or we can apply as soon as a piece of evidence of living in the UK is obtained (bank statement, bill, etc)?
No minimum time is required. You can apply whenever you consider is reasonable for you to apply, and respecting the deadlines (31st December 2020 if no deal, June 30th 2021 otherwise).
The overview post in this forum mentions that the application is "online+post" (presumably, the passport would have to be posted with other documents).
That was me. I only referred to the options that were available at the time. Seems like these keep evolving as the scheme progresses, and now the three options available are the ones explained above. The former "Online+post" has been renamed "Post", but is essentially the same.
However, as I understand, the application can be made via UKVAS
I understand the application can only be made via this link: https://apply-for-eu-settled-status.homeoffice.gov.uk/

There, it clearly says that the final step of the "Post" option is to send your passport by post.

After that, I understand you can book an appointment via UKVAS to enroll your biometrics. But before you book your appointment you need to have submitted your application first (for which your identity needs to be checked), so your understanding that you can simply show up at the appointment and apply/bring your passport there seems to be incorrect.
and according to the information page here everything is scanned there.
You are not reading carefully. The scanning refers to supporting documents, not to your identity document, and also says that the scanning facility is not available for applicants of to the Settlement Scheme:
What you need to do

You’ll need to attend an appointment at a UKVCAS service point to provide your biometric information.

You can provide your supporting documents either by:

uploading them into the UKVCAS online service
having them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment
You’ll be told how to book an appointment and upload your documents when you apply.

If you’re applying to the EU Settlement Scheme
You must upload your supporting documents when you apply. You will not be able to scan them at your UKVCAS appointment.
Regarding your last comment.
At least one member of this forum also mentioned that a passport scan is enough.
As per all info above, seems incorrect information to me.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 am

agnetha007 wrote:
[*] When the family member arrives on EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit, do we need to wait for 1 month (or some other period of time) or we can apply as soon as a piece of evidence of living in the UK is obtained (bank statement, bill, etc)?
I just realised that you might actually mean that your family members are applying from outside the UK, and that they are applying for a Family Permit, not Pre-Settled Status??????????

Can you please clarify?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

agnetha007

Post by agnetha007 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:06 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:35 am
agnetha007 wrote:
[*] Will it be necessary to post the passport to UKVI?
According to the most up-to date information here, yes. This is because there are now three different ways to apply:
  • a) App
  • b) Post
  • c) Identity document scanning location

The only way to use either the a) App or the c) Identity scanning location options (which are basically the same; the scanning location is a place where someone uses the App for you) is if you already have a biometric residence card. Not your case, so the only option left for you is b) Post.
This matches our conclusion so far. We will explore the options during the application process and will post an update.
[*] If a passport copy is enough and UKVI will not take and hold the passport, then is it fine to travel? Basically, would leaving the UK (temporarily, for holidays, etc) automatically cancel/void the application?
I have been unable to find definitive information regarding this, and there is no option for "Settlement Scheme" in the standard form one can use for requesting your passport back while your application is in progress, that is available for other types of visas. This leads me to think that the timeframe for decision is fast enough this isn't really an issue.
According to the information here, the documents should normally be returned within 3 days. So, perhaps we really don't need to worry about the documents being taken for a long time (like with some other applications).

P.S. We are already done with the EU Family Permit stage :wink: