ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to pass 'Life in the UK, A guide for new residents' official book, 3rd edition published at 28 Jan 2013? :)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

blonde6x6
Newly Registered
Mood:

How to pass 'Life in the UK, A guide for new residents' official book, 3rd edition published at 28 Jan 2013? :)

Post by blonde6x6 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Hiya,

May please help me with below:
This 'Life in the UK, A guide for new residents' official book 3rd edition published at 28 Jan 2013? This book has many names and dates. I'm confused on how can I pass this book? Can someone guide me on how to read this books as many of historical dates and names will be very difficult to remember, specially chapter three historical dates and names and chapter four's UK's famous guys names and dates associated with them. Do anyone have typed extract of dates and names in '.pdf' format?
What android apps do you suggest for mock and practice test that have more than 1000 test at least?
Where and in which websites can I get about 3000 test/quiz questions of previous tests?
I'm so stressed by this test. Any advise appreciated.

Tnx and best of luck :)

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How to pass 'Life in the UK, A guide for new residents' official book, 3rd edition published at 28 Jan 2013? :)

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 pm

I think the publishers of the book also offer an app (small fee) for question practice - check the publisher's website.
Basically, to pass, lots of practice - get someone to help/test you - family or friends - you only need 18 correct answers out of 24 questions.
One good approach is to write down your own list - it's another way of memorising facts. Also, you are probably familiar with a lot of the facts already if you have spent any length of time in the UK (through TV, papers, etc).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

blonde6x6
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: How to pass 'Life in the UK, A guide for new residents' official book, 3rd edition published at 28 Jan 2013? :)

Post by blonde6x6 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:41 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 pm
I think the publishers of the book also offer an app (small fee) for question practice - check the publisher's website.
Basically, to pass, lots of practice - get someone to help/test you - family or friends - you only need 18 correct answers out of 24 questions.
One good approach is to write down your own list - it's another way of memorising facts. Also, you are probably familiar with a lot of the facts already if you have spent any length of time in the UK (through TV, papers, etc).
Hiya,
Do the official app is more helpful than free apps and websites that is around? How many questions does the official app have in overall? Does the official app has more questions than official Quiz book that is from the same publisher?

If you mean write an extract of the dates and names, its what I think, but isn't should it be available online in typed format for download?

Regarding 'tv,papers', I don't watch the UK feds TV or feds papers to prevent myself from being brainwashed by big brother. To be safe of feds. ;)

I thought there should be tons of resources here in this forum, but yet to find them all?

Tnx and best of luck

Love_GB
Mood:

Post by Love_GB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:29 am

[quote=blonde6x6 post_id=1836908 time=1571086144 user_id=226525]
Hiya,

This 'Life in the UK, A guide for new residents' official book 3rd edition published at 28 Jan 2013? This book has many names and dates. I'm confused on how can I pass this book? Can someone guide me on how to read this books as many of historical dates and names will be very difficult to remember, specially chapter three historical dates and names and chapter four's UK's famous guys names and dates associated with them. Do anyone have typed extract of dates and names in '.pdf' format?
What android apps do you suggest for mock and practice test that have more than 1000 test at least?
Where and in which websites can I get about 3000 test/quiz questions of previous tests?

Hi blonde6x6,
There is no need to worry at all about your life in UK test , it is very easy and simple , i did mine on 12/10/2019 and i answered all questions , there is very good site WHICH contains 1-15 exams , if you practise theses exams over and over you will pass , 100% sure you will pass .
the p[policy on the forum does not allow posting websites here , but it is name life in the uk test web.
hope this helps

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 am

You are thinking too much. The free apps are also fine, and if you are not comfortable with reading on your phone then find a nearby library and get LITUK book issued for free. I did read it a night before, and did a few mock tests from the free app next morning for exam in the afternoon. And trust me you don't need to be intelligent to crack this one. So, relax!!

blonde6x6
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by blonde6x6 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:16 am

Love_GB wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:29 am
blonde6x6 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 pm
Hiya,

Hi blonde6x6,
There is no need to worry at all about your life in UK test , it is very easy and simple , i did mine on 12/10/2019 and i answered all questions , there is very good site WHICH contains 1-15 exams , if you practise theses exams over and over you will pass , 100% sure you will pass .
the p[policy on the forum does not allow posting websites here , but it is name life in the uk test web.
hope this helps

Hiya,

Thanks. Do you mean lifeintheuktestweb__co-uk by any chance? :)

Tnx and best of luck

blonde6x6
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by blonde6x6 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am

apsk wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 am
You are thinking too much. The free apps are also fine, and if you are not comfortable with reading on your phone then find a nearby library and get LITUK book issued for free. I did read it a night before, and did a few mock tests from the free app next morning for exam in the afternoon. And trust me you don't need to be intelligent to crack this one. So, relax!!
[/quote]

Hiya,

Thanks. There is 1000 names and 1500 dates associated with them. How possible to memorize them? I also bought the book. Do you know the test book who is published by the publisher of original book is any good?

Tnx and best of luck

blonde6x6
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by blonde6x6 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am

apsk wrote:
Hiya,

Thanks. There is 1000 names and 1500 dates associated with them. How possible to memorize them? I also bought the book. Do you know the test book who is published by the publisher of original book is any good?

Tnx and best of luck

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm

blonde6x6 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am
apsk wrote:
Hiya,

Tnx and best of luck

Don't worry they not going to ask all the names and dates in the test. Seems you didn't read the book at all, or not attempted any mock test atleast.. otherwise you would know as you read you start relating to history and you will not need to memorize dates, a rough range of dates will be enough for you to answer in test. No one here can give you magic code to crack the test, you too need to put some hardwork, how you do that, it is upto you.
Book is good, but you can also download any free app and read the content for free. Or borrow the book from your nearest library. Look for 2019 edition, it is available cheaply on ebay also.

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Much of the LITUK book focuses on British culture, history, heritage, and law/political structure some of which never changes (historical facts) while the rest changes and evolves slowly over time. While I would never advise against reading the latest (2019) revision, chances are the vast majority of its content would be virtually identical to the 3rd (2014) edition.

When I applied last year, I already had the 3rd (2014) edition of the book and found it more than sufficient. When I sat the test there wasn't a single question w/ references that were not mentioned in the book.

As to the format of the questions, I found the following resource particularly helpful for my preparation: Life in the UK Tests. The website offers 15 (used to be 45 :() free sample tests which, overall, were very similar both in format and contents to what was on the real test that I sat in Q4 of 2018. Best of all, you get feedback as to where you went wrong. I most certainly do not advise that you only look at these as they are not official sample tests, but they should be a very good supplementary material to your preparation.

Personally, I slowly read the official book cover to cover once over the course of a day. Over the next 3-4 days I did the official sample tests worked my way twice through the above 45 tests at a comfortable pace. When I sat the exam the following day, I nailed the test in about 7 minutes out the allotted 45 with only one slight hesitation.

It's not difficult, so - as others have said - don't overthink it. Have a good read of the book - whichever edition you have at hand, go through as many practise tests (including the latest official ones!) as you feel comfortable in order to let it sink, and you should have it done and dusted.

Love_GB
Mood:

Post by Love_GB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am

blonde6x6 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:16 am
Love_GB wrote:
blonde6x6 wrote:
Hiya,

Hi blonde6x6,
hope this helps

Hiya,

Tnx and best of luck
Hi blonde6x6,
Apology for the late answer ,
That is exactly the one I meant , read and practise using this website I am 100% sure you will pass , sometimes the just reword the questions but they are still the same questions , if you practise many times and make sure you get 24/24 each time than that would be enough to pass and even get the highest marks .
hope this helps

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:51 am

Love_GB wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am
blonde6x6 wrote:
Love_GB wrote:
blonde6x6 wrote:
Hiya,

Hi blonde6x6,
hope this helps

Hiya,

Tnx and best of luck
Hi blonde6x6,
That is exactly the one I meant , read and practise using this website I am 100% sure you will pass , sometimes the just reword the questions but they are still the same questions , if you practise many times and make sure you get 24/24 each time than that would be enough to pass and even get the highest marks .
hope this helps
If you do only the 15 exams posted by the user above, you will pass. No need for any book or anything. Questions will be same. I am talking with personal experience as I passed only doing that plus around 10 people in my immediate and extended family passed from the same. We did nothing else.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Love_GB
Mood:

Post by Love_GB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:51 am
Love_GB wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am
blonde6x6 wrote:
Love_GB wrote:

Hiya,

Tnx and best of luck
Hi blonde6x6,
hope this helps
If you do only the 15 exams posted by the user above, you will pass. No need for any book or anything. Questions will be same. I am talking with personal experience as I passed only doing that plus around 10 people in my immediate and extended family passed from the same. We did nothing else.

what CULLINAN has just said is completely right , I passed mine on 12/10/2019 , i only practised The 15 exams and i am sure i got 100% score, NO need to buy any books, apps or additional resources

PM74Juve

Post by PM74Juve » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Agree with the '15 exams' advice above. It covers vast majority of facts tested. Some questions rephrased and answer options different. The text is now quite out of date... I note that both the longest serving monarch and number of North Irish Assembly members have changed since publication and I presume questions in relation to these facts would be correctly answered by giving the answer from the book albeit wrong in fact. My wife was fairly confident she got 24/24 from study of little more than the 15 exams over 2 days.