ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

change brc issued under eea to eu settlement

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

Re: change brc issued under eea to eu settlement

Post by kamoe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am

ar22 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am
I was just wondering what are the pros and cons for keeping the EU family member BRC or changing it to settled status BRC
Please read the SECOND post of this thread where I raised the most obvious drawback, immediately after the OP.

Also, this post for comparison with pros and cons will give you a good idea.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

mia777

Post by mia777 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:52 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am
Also, this post for comparison with pros and cons will give you a good idea.
That's a very useful post, thanks.

So if your current passport allows visa free travel to EU countries, it shouldn't be an issue to switch? (not that I will) Are there healthcare benefits (or other types of benefits) associated with being an EEA family member if you're in an EU country?

Finally, does this new application mean that if you have settled status, it's not such a hassle if you lose your biometric residence card? (ie you don't need to repeat the EEA PR application just to replace a lost card)

Thanks.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm

mia777 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:52 pm
So if your current passport allows visa free travel to EU countries, it shouldn't be an issue to switch?
It simply means that that particular advantage of the BRC is not of interest to you personally.
Are there healthcare benefits (or other types of benefits) associated with being an EEA family member if you're in an EU country?
Good point. No idea! if anyone has information, please feel free to share.
Finally, does this new application mean that if you have settled status, it's not such a hassle if you lose your biometric residence card? (ie you don't need to repeat the EEA PR application just to replace a lost card)
Also, another good point, Indeed this does mean replacing your card will potentially be less of a hassle, but you sill need to re-submit biometrics.

Now, something else I was thinking is... what if you are non-EU and have a PR BRC for a year or more, and choose not to apply yet for British Citizenship, for whatever reason (money will always be a strong one). Then you switch to a Settled Status BRC. When can you apply for British citizenship? Will switching to a Settled status card wipe off your eligibility for BC obtained with the extra year after acquiring PR, meaning you now have to wait for another year until you can apply, just because now you have a Settled Status card? maybe not an issue, but, worth pondering.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

mia777

Post by mia777 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 pm

mia777 wrote:
Will switching to a Settled status card wipe off your eligibility for BC obtained with the extra year after acquiring PR
Interesting. I am not from the EU and my PR is backdated to March 2016 but I didn't feel as compelled to naturalise when they announced the settlement scheme.

ar22
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by ar22 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 pm

aw17 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:28 pm
ar22 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:10 pm
What my mainc concerned is and the main reason I am looking to get a replacement card is, if UK goes out on 31 Oct with no deal, and I'll be more likely to be returning to UK in Nov, I usually take connecting flights and has to go through different immigration, once UK is out of EU, I am sure my resident permit can be challenge before boarding on plan, I know once I land in UK, I'll have no problem as my BRP is linked with my
settled status but in any other country, how will the be able to verify that my BRP has settled status linked with it.

very confusing and frustrating tbh.

Also you have raised very valid point, Fbiboy2002 would you be able to share some information on it please, did you not already had the BRP, if yes then why did you have to make biomatrices appointment?

aw17, did you have the valid BRP already? have you been asked to make another appointment for BRP?

I guess this service is fairly new and not many knows about it, so please share any information you have.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards
Ar
wasn,t ask for any thing just asked to send old brc and proof of address
Hi

thank you all for sharing all that useful information, I went ahead and submitted my application today and also book the appointment for biomatrices for next month.

I wonder if aw17or Fbiboy2002 can answer this, during application I was asked
" Are you able to provide a biometric residence card (BRC) with this application? " on which I answer yes but after submitting the application, I was not told to how to provide it or where to send it, the only mandatory document listed for me to "upload is my proof of address"
do you guys have any knowledge on what stage we will have to return our existing BRC ?

thank you.

Kind Regards
Ar

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:47 pm

mia777 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 pm
mia777 wrote:
Will switching to a Settled status card wipe off your eligibility for BC obtained with the extra year after acquiring PR
Interesting. I am not from the EU and my PR is backdated to March 2016 but I didn't feel as compelled to naturalise when they announced the settlement scheme.
Yes, you are a good example. Say you want to apply for BC now, but you swapped your EEA RC for a Settled status BRC (which from information in this thread I think means you need to surrender your old EEA PR card, so you no longer have it with you).
  • What would the new card say? That you have Settled Status since 2016? Or Since 2019?
  • If the latter, does this mean they will refuse your application, saying you have to wait until 2020 to be eligible for BC?
  • Or they would just ask for more documents that they would not otherwise need to ask for (e.g. proof that you became eligible for PR under EEA since 2016, hence re-doing the whole process again that you already completed to obtain your EEA PR card in the first place)?
Again, not saying the above will be an issue, but worth considering.

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:52 am

ar22 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 pm
aw17 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:28 pm
ar22 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:10 pm
What my mainc concerned is and the main reason I am looking to get a replacement card is, if UK goes out on 31 Oct with no deal, and I'll be more likely to be returning to UK in Nov, I usually take connecting flights and has to go through different immigration, once UK is out of EU, I am sure my resident permit can be challenge before boarding on plan, I know once I land in UK, I'll have no problem as my BRP is linked with my
settled status but in any other country, how will the be able to verify that my BRP has settled status linked with it.

very confusing and frustrating tbh.

Also you have raised very valid point, Fbiboy2002 would you be able to share some information on it please, did you not already had the BRP, if yes then why did you have to make biomatrices appointment?

aw17, did you have the valid BRP already? have you been asked to make another appointment for BRP?

I guess this service is fairly new and not many knows about it, so please share any information you have.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards
Ar
wasn,t ask for any thing just asked to send old brc and proof of address
Hi

thank you all for sharing all that useful information, I went ahead and submitted my application today and also book the appointment for biomatrices for next month.

I wonder if aw17or Fbiboy2002 can answer this, during application I was asked
" Are you able to provide a biometric residence card (BRC) with this application? " on which I answer yes but after submitting the application, I was not told to how to provide it or where to send it, the only mandatory document listed for me to "upload is my proof of address"
do you guys have any knowledge on what stage we will have to return our existing BRC ?

thank you.

Kind Regards
Ar
I don't know yet but after I booked the biometric with sopra steria I have uploaded my biometric card , driving licence ( proof of address) and giving consent to the home office to do the checks. When I go there for biometric they will scan it to proof its original I gonna ask them if I need to send it or scanning is enough or I need to send it after I get my new card I will ask them
But really what confusing me when I can apply for British citizenship? I got my settle status granted back in February what date I will have on my new card ? And when I can apply in February 2020 or I have to apply after the new card date 😖

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 am

Hi
I have recieved an email today Saturday 28th of September from the home office ( BRCE (RC) Team ) about my application changing my current BRC 5 years which will expires in 2022 ( second 5 years) to EU settlement scheme ( BRC settled-status )
By the way I haven't done my biometric yet due in 11th October
Here the email

Good Morning

Thank you for your application to exchange your biometric residence card (BRC) issued under the EEA Regulations for a biometric residence card that reflects the leave you have been granted under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Please note that a BRC issued under EEA Regulations provides you with an exemption from the requirement to obtain a visa to travel to another Member State of the European Union. A BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme does not, and if you choose to exchange your current BRC for a BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme, you will be required to apply for a Schengen visa to travel to another EU Member State. You only need to apply to replace your biometric residence card issued under the EEA Regulations when it expires and then only if you intend to travel outside the United Kingdom, as you can rely upon your digital status to prove your right to stay, work or study in the United Kingdom.

Can you please confirm that you are therefore content to proceed with your application? We are unable to proceed with your application until you have confirmed if you are content to proceed.

Kind regards

ar22
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by ar22 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi Fbiboy2002

So did you reply to that email to confirm you want to proceed or cancel it ? tbh I think case worker has explained well the difference b/w two different type of BRC.

I haven't received such email yet, I also applied for changing my BRC to a new status and I have my bio appointment book on 10th this month.

Kind Regards
A

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 pm

ar22 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:37 pm
Hi Fbiboy2002

So did you reply to that email to confirm you want to proceed or cancel it ? tbh I think case worker has explained well the difference b/w two different type of BRC.

I haven't received such email yet, I also applied for changing my BRC to a new status and I have my bio appointment book on 10th this month.

Kind Regards
A
I was confused when the case worker wrote "
You only need to apply to replace your biometric residence card issued under the EEA Regulations when it expires and then only if you intend to travel outside the United Kingdom, " my card is not due to expires any time soon .. and I'm not travelling outside UK soon so I have just replied that I would like them to confirm if I can exchange my card even if my card not expires and I'm not travelling outside uk or I cant do that
I'm waiting for them to reply

Regards

Leo_one
France

Post by Leo_one » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:35 pm

aw17 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:36 pm
just find some thing interesting know you can pgrade your BRC issued under the EEA regulations to a BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service
Hi aw17 you are very right I couldn't understand why people start argument without to read this. I have applied for my wife who got initially pre settled status under settlement scheme but after three months alot of exchanges of emails one day Home office sent me email and gave her settled status. I have asked them send me upgrade card but they said in system it is already updated and people who have BRC will not issue another. After many exchanges of emails they refused and then I have got the same link you mentioned and applied. They asked me make a appointment for biometric again which I have made and my wife done on 18/09/2019. I have been told it will take 8 to 12 weeks and if accepted they will let me know by email and then in next 10 days will get upgrade BRC.
I'm waiting now and will share what the outcome. Best of luck for all.

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:08 am

Hello

Did anyone manage to upgrade BRC issued under the EEA regulations to a BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme?

I have settled status linked to my EEA2 residence card that expires 2023

ROSE

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:10 am

Hello

Did anyone manage to upgrade BRC issued under the EEA regulations to a BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme?

I have settled status linked to my EEA2 residence card that expires 2023

ROSE

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:22 pm

For me I have decided to not go for it as I gonna wait to apply for naturalisation instead
They answered my previous email to them and that was their answer

"Good Morning

Please accept my apologises for the delay in responding to your query. I’m afraid that you will need to raise your query with the EU Settlement Resolution Centre.

Calling from inside the UK

EU Settlement Resolution Centre
Telephone: 0300 123 7379
Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm
EU Settlement Scheme contact form
Find out about call charges

Kind regards

Helen

BRCE (RC) Team"
I didn't go for my biometric appointment I have cancelled it
Thanks

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Fbiboy2002

Yes Naturalisation is the answer as it takes the whole immigration issues away.

I had settled status in may..so really I should be doing naturalisation next year.

Just I wish they just gave everyone a new card whether they had a previous card or not

Because for exampe how is one meant to show an immigration officer in south america an online status which will require an internet

Also I keep having this fears of the UK cancelling the EU settlement scheme and bringing in some other kind of scheme. You never know with this government

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Rose2019 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm
Yes Naturalisation is the answer as it takes the whole immigration issues away.

I had settled status in may..so really I should be doing naturalisation next year.
It seems like you do not understand your immigration status. You ARE settled. Unless you engage in illegal activities or move abroad for more than 5 years, no one can legally kick you out of the country, deny you entry, or create any immigration-related issue for you.

If you want to naturalise that is of course your choice, but the only practical difference for you would be the right to vote in general elections and referenda, and the right to mass/publicly protest without a worry (you want to avoid being arrested as a foreign national, as these days arresting protestors is in fashion). Apart from these two, there is no practical scenario in which settled people (people who have actually applied and gotten settled status) have an inferior status in the UK than a British national.

If you actually read the content of the scaremongering, click-bait style articles that are around these days, if you actually read them (and not only browse the tile, as many people do) you will realise they all describe situations of people who are not eligible for the settlement scheme, or who are eligible but have not applied, or who have applied but received only pre-settled status (in which case they will be later eligible for settled status, but for some irrational reason they panic they won't).

There is also no legal scenario in which settled EU nationals or their families can be discriminated against for jobs advertised for "British only" (except some MI6 jobs, but those are very special cases, and sometimes even request British parents, in which case having a British passport is not enough).
Just I wish they just gave everyone a new card whether they had a previous card or not
The only case where people don't get a card is if you already had an EEA card, and that's because you can keep using that card. And the very topic of this thread is the fact that now it is also possible to convert EEA to Setlted Status card, so what's the problem here? Everyone ends up with a card, so the result is the same.
Because for exampe how is one meant to show an immigration officer in south america an online status which will require an internet
You are obviously copying this from another's member (uninformed) comment, I remember it.

First, there are no UK immigration officials outside of the UK. There are airline staff and maybe emigration officials. The only ones interested in checking that you have the right to enter the UK are airline staff.

Second, airline staff don't check the internet when checking passports at the gate. They don't check internet in the UK, they don't check internet in the rest of Europe, and they don't check internet anywhere else. Why is it relevant to mention that they would not check it in South America (BTW where there is perfectly working internet and 4G available???) The point is taken that a physical document is needed, but mentioning South America here is completely irrelevant, uninformed, and borderline offensive.

Third, document check done by airline staff at the boarding gate happens as follows:

1. If you are an EU national, you simply show your passport, and you are good. You will always have the right to enter the UK even after Brexit (what will be potentially problematic is how long you can stay and for what, but this is something that does not concern airlines, only actual UK immigration officials at the UK border).

2. If you are a non-EU family member of a EU national, as we all know, you have a card, as everyone has a card, and everyone can convert that card from EEA to Settled Status. You show your passport and your card, and you are good.

What's the problem?
Also I keep having this fears of the UK cancelling the EU settlement scheme and bringing in some other kind of scheme. You never know with this government
Apart from Brexit not happening at all, there is no rational, credible, or plausible scenario in which the UK government will scrap the only system in place to deal with the status of more than 3 million people.

Stop reading only the titles of sensationalist articles that are out these days. Actually take the time to read the whole thing. Always read the whole story. If you do this, you'll probably understand the massive exaggerations and misrepresentations of sensationalist media written by uninformed junior journalists who cannot make the difference between settled and pre-settled status and the status of EU nationals who have not even bothered to apply to the Settlement scheme.

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:39 pm

: :roll: :roll:

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:01 pm

Rose2019 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:39 pm
: :roll: :roll:
BTW no need to be applying to change from EEA to Settled Status right now, you'll have a whole year to do it until Dec 2020. Remember (if you read the second post of this thread) that you might be giving up the right of visa-free travel to EU countries that you get with your EEA card, which you likely won't get with your Settled Status card. But if that's not relevant, disregard.

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 am

I always travel with a multiple schengen visa even

though I am holding an eea2 residence card.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

Rose2019 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 am
I always travel with a multiple schengen visa even

though I am holding an eea2 residence card.
Interesting. I've seen at least one other person in this forum mention that they were not even able to apply for a Schengen visa because the application center would tell them they did not need to and refused to receive their application (Spain). See post here.

When did you get your Schengen visa, and from which country? Did you already have an EEA card when you last applied?

If you travel with your EU national family member to any EU country, you don't need to have a visa if you have a EEA card. This, for many people, is a huge bonus and a huge relief instead of applying for Schengen visas every 6 months (unless you are one of those lucky people who somehow managed to get a super-rare 5-year multiple entry Schengen visa. I've heard these exist, but are never advertised. I think they give this to you if you have loads of money in the bank to prove you can support stay even for a long time).

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 am

I got my first schengen visa from the Greek embassy in london. It was a multiple visa so 2 years...not 5years

So when it expired I renewed it again for another 2 years at the Greek embassy

My spouse is Greek and I am always in Greece every year for holiday..so it was wise to get a multiple. Like for instance I am going to spain for xmas so I will need my schengen visa

I never travel with my EEA2 card alone...with a schengen visa oneis more at peace

Schengen visa is free...it was free for me at the Greek embassy as I am the family member of an EU national ( Greece)

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 am

Yes I already had an EEA2 card when I applied for my schengen visa. I had to show my eea2 card at the embassy and give them a photocopy.

Schengen visa is needed to enter Greece

Rose2019
inactive
Mood:
Indonesia

Post by Rose2019 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Actually 5 year multiple schengen visa exist

But the Greek embassy always give me 2 years schengen visa

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Rose2019 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 am
My spouse is Greek and I am always in Greece every year for holiday..so it was wise to get a multiple. Like for instance I am going to spain for xmas so I will need my schengen visa
With a EEA RC you will technically only need a Schengen visa if you travel alone, or not joining your EU family member.
I never travel with my EEA2 card alone...with a schengen visa oneis more at peace
Sure, if that works for you at no extra cost then why not. But it's entirely a choice. Many people have difficulties if living outside of London for example, getting a visa, even if free, is an ordeal.

Also note that I am not suggesting anyone travels with their EEA card alone. You also need your passport! (Saying it as it is also a classic mistake to think a EEA RC stands in for a EU national identity card, which is not the case.)
Schengen visa is free...it was free for me at the Greek embassy as I am the family member of an EU national ( Greece)
Remember that Schengen states are not the same as EU countries. There are countries in the European Union who are not part of the Schengen states, and vice-versa. So even with a multiple entry Schengen visa, if you convert your EEA card into a Settled Status card, you might give up your right to visa-free travel to Croatia, Ireland, Rumania, and Bulgaria.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Rose2019 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 pm
Actually 5 year multiple schengen visa exist

But the Greek embassy always give me 2 years schengen visa
Every country has different rules:
  • Germany and Spain only ever give you one entry for the exact number of days you report to be visiting.
  • Italy gives you one entry for a number of days that is directly proportional to how much money you prove you have in the bank.
  • France can do as Italy sometimes if you are particularly poor, but generally speaking, they give you six months multiple entry.
  • The only other two cases I know of people getting more than 6-month multiple Schengen visas were from wealthy people.
But all of the above I think applies for regular tourists visas, not visas for family members, so what do I know? :?