ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change after naturalisaion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

arsenal16
Newly Registered

Name change after naturalisaion

Post by arsenal16 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi, wife just got BC and will be applying for 1st british passport soon.

To keep things simple, we will use the same name that we have used for all previous visa/citizenship applications.

At some point in the future though, i want to change her name by deed poll and get a replacement passport with the new name.

Apparantly this is not that simple to do? Someone said I need to update the indian passport with name change first but this doesn't make sense, she's not an indian citizen anymore so how can indian embassy update her passport?

I spoke to hmpo and they said i need a letter from indian embassy confirming she is no longer an indian citizen.

Does anyone have experiance in changing names and can confirm any of the above?

To add a further complication, we will need OCI for her. If the name on her british passport is completly different to the one when she was an indian citizen, will this cause problems?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Name change after naturalisaion

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Is this related to using her married name ??! Remember there is no need for a deed poll. She can use her married name legally and apply for a passport with her married name
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

arsenal16
Newly Registered

Post by arsenal16 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Partly, but bit more complicated then just married name.

Few years after getting married, I changed my own surname by deed poll. This means the surname my wife will use does not match the marriage certificate.

Even so, I realise I can still change surname easily enough due to marriage but to further complicate things, my wife has been using an unofficial first name for last 10 years as she never liked her original first name. We want to make this first name official as well.

Because I am also changing her first name, I’ve been told it will be easier doing by deed poll instead of marriage.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Remember that for the first British passport, HMPO does not issue British passport that does not match her Indian passport as they need to see it. Get the British passport first, then deed poll, then get a new British passport for her
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

arsenal16
Newly Registered

Post by arsenal16 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking would be the easiest to do.