ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CoE/Right of Abode for my Son born in India

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

CoE/Right of Abode for my Son born in India

Post by SamKP » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi Admin,

Sorry if I am asking an old question as I am quite new to this board and did not find much help while searching through the threads. Your help will be much appreciated on the same.

I am planning on apply for my 2 month old son's Right of Abode(CoE-ROA) from India. My wife was in UK but went back to India for delivery, So my son is born in India.
I am having British Passport, My wife is holding an Indian passport, baby born in the India and now has a Indian passport.

I have gone through the below Government websites and found that my son qualifies for ROA under the below category.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... a-guidance

"Applicant was born outside the United Kingdom and the Falkland Islands on or after 1st January 1983, or outside the United Kingdom and any qualifying British overseas territory on or after 21st May 2002, to a parent born in the United Kingdom or the Falkland Islands (or, on/after 21 May 2002, any qualifying British overseas territory) or to a parent registered or naturalised in the United Kingdom prior to the applicant’s birth."

From the above links documents required are as below.

1. Applicant’s full birth certificate showing parents’ details,
2. Parents’ marriage certificate (if claiming through father and applicant born before 1 July 2006),
3. Parents’ full birth certificate, registration or naturalisation certificate
4. 2 photographs of the applicant taken no more than 6 months prior to the date of the application,

Could you please advise me on the below please.

1. My wife do not have her Birth Certificate. So what should I do.Is it mandatory? (In one of the thread someone mentioned to do a affidavit for the same.If this accepted,could you please help me with a template.)
2.I have seen so many threads here where people submitting last 6 months bank statements, Payslips, Tenancy agreements and other financial documents, Do i need to submit financial and tenancy documents for my Child's ROA? No where it is mentioned to submit those docs.
3. Finally Do I need to submit any other documents.?

Hope you will understand my confusions. Your help will be much helpful on the same.

Many Thanks,
Sam

zimba
Mood:

Re: CoE/Right of Abode for my Son born in India

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 am

Why don't you apply for a passport for your child ?

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:11 am

Zimba wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 am

Overseas passport applications from the sub-continent can take between six months and a year, whereas CoE-RoA applications seem to be handled much faster (six to sixteen weeks).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am

Zimba wrote:

Hi Zimba,

I heard it take around 6 months or more for a British Passport applied form overseas. Also for now we want to take ROA on his Indian password.

Could you please advise me on my questions above.

Many Thanks,
SamKP

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:11 am
Zimba wrote:

Overseas passport applications from the sub-continent can take between six months and a year, whereas CoE-RoA applications seem to be handled much faster (six to sixteen weeks).
Hi Secret Simon,

Yes correct. It might take 6 months or more for a British Passport applied form overseas. But we wanted to take ROA on his Indian password and latter once he arrives to UK will decide to go for British passport.

So could you please advise me on my questions above.

Many Thanks,
SamKP

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:06 am

SamKP wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 pm
Hi Admin,

Sorry if I am asking an old question as I am quite new to this board and did not find much help while searching through the threads. Your help will be much appreciated on the same.

I am planning on apply for my 2 month old son's Right of Abode(CoE-ROA) from India. My wife was in UK but went back to India for delivery, So my son is born in India.
I am having British Passport, My wife is holding an Indian passport, baby born in the India and now has a Indian passport.

I have gone through the below Government websites and found that my son qualifies for ROA under the below category.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... a-guidance

"Applicant was born outside the United Kingdom and the Falkland Islands on or after 1st January 1983, or outside the United Kingdom and any qualifying British overseas territory on or after 21st May 2002, to a parent born in the United Kingdom or the Falkland Islands (or, on/after 21 May 2002, any qualifying British overseas territory) or to a parent registered or naturalised in the United Kingdom prior to the applicant’s birth."

From the above links documents required are as below.

1. Applicant’s full birth certificate showing parents’ details,
2. Parents’ marriage certificate (if claiming through father and applicant born before 1 July 2006),
3. Parents’ full birth certificate, registration or naturalisation certificate
4. 2 photographs of the applicant taken no more than 6 months prior to the date of the application,

Could you please advise me on the below please.

1. My wife do not have her Birth Certificate. So what should I do.Is it mandatory? (In one of the thread someone mentioned to do a affidavit for the same.If this accepted,could you please help me with a template.)
2.I have seen so many threads here where people submitting last 6 months bank statements, Payslips, Tenancy agreements and other financial documents, Do i need to submit financial and tenancy documents for my Child's ROA? No where it is mentioned to submit those docs.

Hope you will understand my confusions. Your help will be much helpful on the same.

Many Thanks,
Sam
Hi Everyone,

Could someone please advise me on my above requests.

Many Thanks...

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:31 pm

The requirements do not ask for your wife's birth certificate. That is only if the child is born to a British born mother.
Your child is born to a naturalised British father. So the key evidence is your naturalisation certificate
You should send only things they asked
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 am

Zimba wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:31 pm
The requirements do not ask for your wife's birth certificate. That is only if the child is born to a British born mother.
Your child is born to a naturalised British father. So the key evidence is your naturalisation certificate
You should send only things they asked
Many Thanks Zimba,

Actually in the PDF 'Guide_ROA.pdf' (Link below from govt website) it is mentioned at the starting of page-11 to submit the below documents...But if you notice the third point has a 's' , which create confusion both parents has to give their birth certificate.

• Applicant’s full birth certificate
showing parents’ details,
• Parent’s marriage certificate (if
claiming through father and applicant
born before 1 July 2006), and
Parent’s full birth certificate, registration
or naturalisation certificate

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... de_ROA.pdf

The only documents they are asking is as below.
1. Application form,
2. Cover letter,
3. Applicant’s full birth certificate showing parents’ details,.
4. Applicant's valid Passport,
5. Parents’ marriage certificate (if claiming through father and applicant born before 1 July 2006),
6. Parents’ full birth certificate, registration or naturalisation certificate
7. 2 photographs of the applicant taken no more than 6 months prior to the date of the application,

Hope this suffice the requirement.

Could you also please advise if the photograph size is the standard one for UK which is 45mmX 35mm.?

Many Thanks,

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:43 am

Technically there is an apostrophe before 's' which implies Parent is indeed singular (meaning something which belongs to one parent)
I didn't want to be the grammar Nazi but you asked for it :lol:
Yes. UK size pictures

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:43 am
Technically there is an apostrophe before 's' which implies Parent is indeed singular (meaning something which belongs to one parent)
I didn't want to be the grammar Nazi but you asked for it :lol:
Yes. UK size pictures
He he.... :D :D :D

Absolutely right. You are a Star....!!!..I guess I need to buy some specs.... :)

Sorry but one more doubt about the cover letter. Who should be writing the cover letter I mean will it be FROM me or my Wife. My Wife is in India she will be submitting the application in VFS.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Write it yourself

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 pm
Write it yourself
Thanks Zimba, So Although she will submit the application at VFS, but it is from me. For the Entry Clearance officer the cover letter is from the father(me). Right.?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Your child gets the right to British citizenship from you. You seem to be overthinking this

Indianspouse
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Indianspouse » Fri May 03, 2019 3:50 pm

SamKP wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:31 pm
Zimba wrote:
Write it yourself
Thanks Zimba, So Although she will submit the application at VFS, but it is from me. For the Entry Clearance officer the cover letter is from the father(me). Right.?
We wrote 2 cover letters One from mother and one from father. If applying from India, they are MOST likely to ask the birth certificate of Indian parent. We didnt submit it and we got asked after 2 weeks of application submission.

Indianspouse
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Indianspouse » Fri May 03, 2019 3:52 pm

SamKP wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am
Zimba wrote:

Hi Zimba,

I heard it take around 6 months or more for a British Passport applied form overseas. Also for now we want to take ROA on his Indian password.

Many Thanks,
SamKP
Sam, British passport from India is QUICKER than ROA. We got our son's passport in just over 2 months.

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:50 pm
SamKP wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:31 pm
Zimba wrote:
Write it yourself
We wrote 2 cover letters One from mother and one from father. If applying from India, they are MOST likely to ask the birth certificate of Indian parent. We didnt submit it and we got asked after 2 weeks of application submission.
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. But how can you have two cover letter for a single application.!!!..Could you please give more detail.
Also I have got a affidavit for my wife's birth certificate. So will be submitting the same.Hope that should be alright.

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Indianspouse wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:52 pm
SamKP wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am
Zimba wrote:

Hi Zimba,

Many Thanks,
SamKP
Sam, British passport from India is QUICKER than ROA. We got our son's passport in just over 2 months.
Wow you must be Lucky...As most of the posts here everyone was saying it will lot of time min 3 to 6 months...

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:01 pm
Your child gets the right to British citizenship from you. You seem to be overthinking this
Hi Zimba,

How are you. Thanks for your guidance,I have now arranged all the documents required for my Son's ROA application and already sent to my wife in India. Now once I fill the application online and book the appointment she will submit all the docs in the vfs office. But got stuck with a strange doubt here...

Now I found out that the application filling is no longer with VFS. The new link I got is as below. Is this correct?
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

Also in the online form in one section its asking to give previous 2 year of address history. But my Son is only 3 month old now and is in India since birth. So what should I fill there.? Its mandatory to fill that section with start date and end date. This is making me confused.....Could you please help...

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu May 30, 2019 1:16 am

It is online done UKVI website. You do not need to show proof of address for a baby

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Thu May 30, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks Zimba,

Sorry I think I did not make myself clear here.

Actually while filling the application online it is mandatorily asking to fill the previous 2 year address with start and end date.

Yes I understand we do not need to show proof of address for a baby, but they are asking to fill the 2 year address online….!!!!!

Like in one page it is asking to fill the current address and how long you are staying there. Which I am giving as 3 months. Then on the next screen it is asking to give previous 2 year address with from start date to end date. Which as you know won’t be there for a 3 month old baby. So what can we fill there..?

(I can share the screenshot but not sure if we have that facility)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Put your two years address

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Thu May 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks Zimba,

Hope I understood correctly. So I will put 3 month of India address where my son is currently living and the I will give my UK address for last two year. Thanks...

Also as below another question in the online form is bit confusing.

Do you have any family in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years?

Could you please advise if we need give my son's grandparents detail in India or it is a straight NO as he is only 3 month old(not have lived in India for more than 5 year).?

Many thanks in Advance....

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri May 31, 2019 1:28 am

You can choose to put their info.

SamKP
Newly Registered
India

Post by SamKP » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi Zimba,

Many thanks.

Just to let you know with your advise and guidance I did managed to submit my Son's ROA in VFS center in India last week. They have advised it will take min 3 weeks for this to be processed. I will update once I receive any update.

Do you know approx how long the ROA takes from India.

Also do we have a processing timeline forum/post where I can see & post my details for other users benefit.

Many Thanks.....SamKP

Hyperion
Newly Registered

Post by Hyperion » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Sam,

Did you manage to get the COE/ROA? What were the timelines?
Also, did you attach TB certificate with the application as it is showing as a mandatory requirement.

Thanks