ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Approvals received for Parents but not for Kids

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

casula
Australia

Approvals received for Parents but not for Kids

Post by casula » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi,
My partner I received the approval letters but not our kids (8 and 11 years old).
Is this normal? Are MN1 applications for children taking longer to process?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Approvals received for Parents but not for Kids

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Yes. The two applications are separate
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

casula
Australia

Post by casula » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks. I guess then we should wait for their letters to arrive before make a booking for the ceremony. Do children take an oath as well at the ceremony?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:28 pm

casula wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 pm
Thanks. I guess then we should wait for their letters to arrive before make a booking for the ceremony. Do children take an oath as well at the ceremony?
Children do not naturalise and do not have ceremonies. They get registered. When approved, you will get their certificate of registration. Then they can get passports afterwards
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 am

Because their registration is dependent on your naturalisation (i.e. they are being registered because at least one of their parents is becoming a British citizen), it is possible (at least, it was the case in the past) that their registration certificates will be handed to you with your naturalisation certificates after your ceremony (because you only become a British citizen at that point in time). They don't need to take the oath themselves.

I would suggest making arrangements for your own citizenship ceremonies anyway, as they are time-restricted (you must book the ceremony within 21 days of the letter and attend the ceremony within 90 days of the letter). As mentioned above, it is possible that you may be handed the children's registration certificate at the same time.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

casula
Australia

Post by casula » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Thank you. We have received the approval letters for kids today. However, birth place is wrong on one of them. Is there a way to correct it before the ceremony rather than sending the certificate back to HO after the ceremony?

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Probably possible to change before ceremony, but there is no benefit I can see, only delays the ceremony and asking for trouble as the council is also involved and you need to rebook the ceremony. All certificates are with council already. The HO will recall the certificate from the council before even considering, then if all good, send it again.

Note that the kids are already British as registered as of the date on the certificate. Adults only become British at the ceremony after oath.

You can call or email the HO to ask about their procedures for kids. Most here have experience with corrections on adult certificates and seems to take 2-10 weeks to get corrected certificate back.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm

vaza wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm
Note that the kids are already British as registered as of the date on the certificate.
casula wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 pm
We have received the approval letters for kids today.
I don't think that the kids' registration certificates have been issued yet.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

casula
Australia

Post by casula » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:30 pm

vaza wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm
You can call or email the HO to ask about their procedures for kids. Most here have experience with corrections on adult certificates and seems to take 2-10 weeks to get corrected certificate back.
Thanks @vaza.
Is there a specific email address or phone number for this HO department?

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:11 pm