ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student loan

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Grace23
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Student loan

Post by Grace23 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Parent of a British citizen 2.5years. No public loan. Can I study and will I get student load for university and bursary?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Student loan

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Unclear post.

I assume you need this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Grace23 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 pm
Can I study and will I get student load for university and bursary?
Yes, you can study.

However it is unlikely that you are eligible for student loans. Generally you need either ILR or being on a path under the EEA Regulations AND having been already resident in the UK for the past three years. Here are the requirements listed for England. The other nations of the UK have different requirements.

Also keep in mind that you would be charged overseas fees, which are about two to three times the fees charged to UK and EEA students.

Bursaries offered by your college/university may have their own rules and you would have to check with them about the requirements for the bursaries.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:23 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 pm
Unclear post.

You don't seem to have read it yourself. Neither home fees nor student support are public funds.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:28 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 pm
Generally you need either ILR or being on a path under the EEA Regulations AND having been already resident in the UK for the past three years.
The eligibility criteria is much broader than that, and the residence area is never just the UK.

Check again the eligibility for England that you have linked to. In only four of the 14 categories it is the residence area the "UK and islands". In most of them the residence area includes the whole of the European Economic Area and overseas territories, and in some it also includes Switzerland and Turkey.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:23 am
Zerubbabel wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 pm
Unclear post.

You don't seem to have read it yourself. Neither home fees nor student support are public funds.
There is nothing in my response that suggests otherwise :wink:

Grace23
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Grace23 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:15 pm

I have been legal in the uk for more than 4years, I only just change my immigration status.

I am aware of the 3 years legal residency, but I am not sure if I am entitle to student loan.