ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 for newborn

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anan_88
Newly Registered

MN1 for newborn

Post by anan_88 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi, I've read a few threads under this topic but haven't really found what I'm looking for. Therefore, apologies if this is indeed a repeated thread. And a thanks in advance for pointers to relevant pieces of information.

I acquired my ILR this month (Oct) and my son was born in August this year while I was on Tier 1 Talent visa. Therefore, the gap is the age of my son i.e. slightly over 2 months old. I'm certain that under the rules I need to register my son as UK national through the registration process.

However, the information required on the MN1 is a bit confusing. I post my responses to questions in the form below as well as questions of my own. Any pointers to where I might be incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

1. (for the applicant) "Have you had settlement in the UK?" I said "No"

2. "Have you lived at your current address for 5 years?" I said "Yes" even though this is not true (since he is just 2 months old). Anyhow, if I say "No" it asks me to add address history and wouldn't continue without filling it in.

3. "Country of nationality?" I've input whatever is my or my wife's nationality despite the fact we've not registered him as a citizen with any country and he doesn't have any passport etc. Is this correct?

4. "You are unable to provide your passport with your application because You have never had a passport (for example, because you were born in the UK)" Is this correct? And since he doesn't have any ID document, I've had to say "No" to "identity card" and "travel document" and instead fill in a reason as stated above.

5. "Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, any other nationality or citizenship?" I said "No". Is this correct?

6. The form asks for parents' marriage date, then asks whether biological mother was married and the name of biological mother's partner at the time of birth. I obviously fill in the answers, but it is incredibly confusing to ask the same question three times using different words. Is this how the form usually flows or is it because I've done something wrong? I've looked a few times and doesn't seem it's a mistake at my end.

7. "Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?" I said "No", but am unsure.

Thanking anyone who responds in advance.

secret.simon

Re: MN1 for newborn

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:34 pm

anan_88 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 pm
5. "Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, any other nationality or citizenship?" I said "No". Is this correct?
That depends. What are the parents' nationalities?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

anan_88
Newly Registered

Post by anan_88 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:52 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:34 pm
anan_88 wrote:
That depends. What are the parents' nationalities?
Pakistani.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Pakistani citizenship is acquired automatically at birth by children of Pakistani parents, even without registration or a Pakistani passport. Therefore the correct response to that question would be "Pakistani".
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:55 am

anan_88 wrote:
Hi, I've read a few threads under this topic but haven't really found what I'm looking for. Therefore, apologies if this is indeed a repeated thread. And a thanks in advance for pointers to relevant pieces of information.

I acquired my ILR this month (Oct) and my son was born in August this year while I was on Tier 1 Talent visa. Therefore, the gap is the age of my son i.e. slightly over 2 months old. I'm certain that under the rules I need to register my son as UK national through the registration process.

However, the information required on the MN1 is a bit confusing. I post my responses to questions in the form below as well as questions of my own. Any pointers to where I might be incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

1. (for the applicant) "Have you had settlement in the UK?" I said "No"

2. "Have you lived at your current address for 5 years?" I said "Yes" even though this is not true (since he is just 2 months old). Anyhow, if I say "No" it asks me to add address history and wouldn't continue without filling it in.

3. "Country of nationality?" I've input whatever is my or my wife's nationality despite the fact we've not registered him as a citizen with any country and he doesn't have any passport etc. Is this correct?

4. "You are unable to provide your passport with your application because You have never had a passport (for example, because you were born in the UK)" Is this correct? And since he doesn't have any ID document, I've had to say "No" to "identity card" and "travel document" and instead fill in a reason as stated above.

6. The form asks for parents' marriage date, then asks whether biological mother was married and the name of biological mother's partner at the time of birth. I obviously fill in the answers, but it is incredibly confusing to ask the same question three times using different words. Is this how the form usually flows or is it because I've done something wrong? I've looked a few times and doesn't seem it's a mistake at my end.

7. "Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?" I said "No", but am unsure.

Thanking anyone who responds in advance.
1-4

6-7

correct

As you have mentioned Pakistani in 3, I believe 5 is just asking any other nationality other than Pakistani.

I applied for my daughter when she was 4 months.
I answered:

3: Pakistani
5: NO

(as I believe 5 is asked in the sequence).

I had no issues and her MN1 was approved in 28 days.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

anan_88
Newly Registered

Post by anan_88 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks! That gives me the confidence to proceed.