ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US to UK EEA Family Permit Confusion

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Batomet
Newly Registered

Re: US to UK EEA Family Permit Confusion

Post by Batomet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

The uk is part of the EEA :)
A british citizen is also an eea citizen

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm

The EEA family permit may be used by a partner outside if the uk wanting to live with a partner who is in the uk, this visa DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO MAKE ANY AMOUNT OF INCOME A YEAR. This is correct statement

An eea citizen is also a british citizen right now. British citizen is a citizen of EEA, but not for domestic immigration.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Batomet wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm
The uk is part of the EEA :)
A british citizen is also an eea citizen
Yes, but not for the purpose that the OP is asking, as has already been explained. A British citizen who has ALWAYS only lived in the UK, cannot sponsor family under the EEA rules!!! This has always been the case.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Batomet
Newly Registered

Post by Batomet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm

The government website says different.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Batomet wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
The government website says different.
Where does it state it exactly??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Batomet
Newly Registered

Post by Batomet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Considering ive already done a lot of research and he is also qualified for this visa you are giving complete opposite info to what it says.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Batomet wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:07 pm
Considering ive already done a lot of research and he is also qualified for this visa you are giving complete opposite info to what it says.
Give us prooflinks.
So far these are just words from you

Let me also remind you, the OP has already tried to apply and got rejected

RubGue
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by RubGue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:18 pm

iwolga wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm
Batomet wrote:
Give us prooflinks.

I wasn't rejected. I actually wasn't rejected or accepted. I didn't get a letter or any information back when my documents came back.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:22 pm

RubGue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:18 pm
iwolga wrote:
Batomet wrote:
Give us prooflinks.

I wasn't rejected. I actually wasn't rejected or accepted. I didn't get a letter or any information back when my documents came back.
Ok, your application was returned to you.

RubGue
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by RubGue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:38 pm

iwolga wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:22 pm
RubGue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:18 pm
iwolga wrote:
Batomet wrote:
Give us prooflinks.

Ok, your application was returned to you.
That's why I've been extremely confused with all of this. I wasn't told yes or no they looked at my stuff I know that for sure but all my documents and applications print out was returned with a few stickers I'm assuming are time stamped for the process.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 pm

With all due respect, you don't seem to want to hear what the others are telling you.

It's up to you. You always have the right to reapply.

RubGue
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by RubGue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:07 pm

iwolga wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 pm
With all due respect, you don't seem to want to hear what the others are telling you.

It's not that I'm not wanting to hear just unable to truly understand. I'm hearing many conflicting details so I'm trying to find the best and easier course of action.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:10 pm

RubGue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:07 pm
iwolga wrote:

It's not that I'm not wanting to hear just unable to truly understand. I'm hearing many conflicting details so I'm trying to find the best and easier course of action.
I didn't really see anyone contradicting, except for one of the posters failing atm to provide any proofs of his\her ideas. I think he or she is misled by the fact that British citizen is EU citizen.

RubGue
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by RubGue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:35 pm

iwolga wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:10 pm
RubGue wrote:
iwolga wrote:

I didn't really see anyone contradicting, except for one of the posters failing atm to provide any proofs of his\her ideas. I think he or she is misled by the fact that British citizen is EU citizen.
Sorry to be dense about this just seems like odd processing since the wording dont seem to be fully forgiving to new people. From what it looked like is that EEA FP would work for me due to my wife being a British Citizen(which I assumed is part of being an EU citizen) so the criteria of her being this type of citizen allowed me to come being a non-EU citizen.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 pm

RubGue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:35 pm
iwolga wrote:
RubGue wrote:
iwolga wrote:

Sorry to be dense about this just seems like odd processing since the wording dont seem to be fully forgiving to new people. From what it looked like is that EEA FP would work for me due to my wife being a British Citizen(which I assumed is part of being an EU citizen) so the criteria of her being this type of citizen allowed me to come being a non-EU citizen.
I believe gov.uk is very straight-forward in this part (someone already gave you a link to this):

You can apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK if both the following apply:

you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
you’re a ‘close’ or ‘extended’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national (excluding UK nationals)

Batomet
Newly Registered

Post by Batomet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Id LOVE to know where you got this information?:) again false.
The OP, my husband, did not get rejected, he also never stated he got rejected, he has not been given an answer and when we phoned them they said they dont know what happened exactly and have had to email the place that the documents were sent back from.

So again, even with information related to us youre giving false info.

I dont know how to reply to certain comments this website is so messed up on mobile.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:05 pm

All information freely available from the home office website, which is exactly what has been provided. And notably your reluctance to post a link to what you believe is the correct information you have that a British citizen in the UK, who has not resided in another EU state exercising treaty rights with their spouse and only resided in the UK, can use the EEA route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:08 pm

Batomet wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm
The OP, my husband, did not get rejected, he also never stated he got rejected, he has not been given an answer and when we phoned them they said they dont know what happened exactly and have had to email the place that the documents were sent back from.

I dont know how to reply to certain comments this website is so messed up on mobile.
Ah, so you are the wife! :)

I already adjusted myself: his documents were returned. If this makes it sound nicer.
Now if you believe your husband qualifies, go ahead and reapply.

And a piece of advice for future. If you want someone's free help, mind the tone of the discussion. Thank you and good luck.

RubGue
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by RubGue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm

I want thank the ones who were helping. The info was helpful, just dense is all lol. I think we have a decent understanding now. I'll post another OP if I have anymore questions of a different subject or circumstance.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 pm

RubGue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm
I want thank the ones who were helping. The info was helpful, just dense is all lol. I think we have a decent understanding now. I'll post another OP if I have anymore questions of a different subject or circumstance.
I understand how frustrating it is. I really do. I was living away from my husband myself for 7 months because at that point he was changing jobs and was not able to show that he can finance me. Try to look on the bright side of things: at least you can travel to each other visa free. We didn't have that, unfortunately.

I hope you find a solution. Good luck

Batomet
Newly Registered

Post by Batomet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Actually i cant travel to america visa free, its not that simple sadly.
First time i needed an ESTA.
But its not so easy anymore.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Batomet wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm

As we don't seem to be getting the salient point across, as has previously been posted by iwolga from the Home Office's official guidance (note the underlined text)

You can apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK if both the following apply:
you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
you’re a ‘close’ or ‘extended’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national (excluding UK nationals)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 am

Batomet wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:50 pm
All wrong.

The EEA family permit may be used by a partner outside if the uk wanting to live with a partner who is in the uk, this visa DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO MAKE ANY AMOUNT OF INCOME A YEAR. That is a DIFFERENT visa.
An eea citizen is also a british citizen right now.

False information being given out.
Hi.

Sorry but I cannot help myself but to say something. I here you mate, British citizen is EEA citizen but for the purpose of the EEA family permit (Surinder Singh route), the OP cannot use it due to his wife living here in UK. If they are living in EEA country then yes they can come back together or he can join her here only after living in EEA country.

I’ll give you my experience as an example:

I’m a non EU citizen (Philippines) married to my British husband. We met in Cyprus (which is EEA country) and got married. We both lived there for many years, we decided to move to UK, because he is a British citizen who exercised his treaty rights in another EEA country, I was eligible for a family permit through Surinder Singh Route. You need to show evidences for this to be able to apply through this route.

IF! He lives in UK and I’m let say in US or Philippines, I will not be eligible for EEA family permit because the British citizen and the non EU citizen has to live and reside to an EEA country.

I’m sorry but you can’t use this route with your circumstances unless you both live and reside to an EEA country (but because of brexit this may change). 😕

All informations are readily available in the gov.uk website.

Everyone here especially the moderators are just helping you mate. If it wasn’t for them, I wont be here in UK. They have helped me a lot. 😊

birkeneve
Canada

Post by birkeneve » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am

RubGue wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:35 pm
iwolga wrote:
RubGue wrote:
iwolga wrote:

This route would only apply to you if you and your UK wife was living in an EU country (let’s use France). You and your wife would have to show proof that you built a life together in France, in order for her to bring you to the UK for free. You can’t just mosey into the UK from the US and expect to be allowed to stay.

My case is I’m Canadian and my husband is a UK citizen but my husband and I made a life together in Norway. We qualify for the Surinder Singh Route because of this. If we had just been in Canada, then we would have been subject to the stricter rules.

Once Brexit is done, the Surinder Singh Route will end.

RubGue
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by RubGue » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm

So update, I know one of you commentors replied with the details of the Family Visa, since that seems to ne the best option at this point, I was wondering if y'all could explain the process. I also was wondering if I was able to apply for it while I'm in the UK visiting. What I've read it is cheaper and faster to do it within, but does that mean I could do that while using my passport to visit?