ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion PR- Eu settlement scheme

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Linben123

Confusion PR- Eu settlement scheme

Post by Linben123 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Good evening! I am a bit confused. I hold EU PR and wish to apply to register my child ( born in UK) as a British Citizen. I will however apply for Settled status before. After becoming Settled, can I still use my PR certificate to prove 5 year residency so that my child will be able to become British?
It would be great to hear your answers and opinions!
Many thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Confusion PR- Eu settlement scheme

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Hello

The EU Settlement Scheme is not compulsory yet. The EEA PR is 100% valid for that purpose.

I did that for my daughter before myself becoming British and she got her British passport in no time. I used the blue paper.

This guidance may clarify:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-ee ... r-children

Your child is automatically a British citizen if they were born both:

in the UK
after you got permanent residence status

To this day, the EEA PR is indeed a proof of permanent residence status.

Linben123

Post by Linben123 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks very much for the prompt response! I would really feel a lot better if i did the settled status quickly to be honest! But by doing it i will still have my PR certificate that i can use at the mn1 application of my child. This PR would be still fit for purpose when i become settled, right?

hermanthegerman
Germany

Post by hermanthegerman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:10 am

yes, I got my settled status before Christmas last year and applied without problems for citizenship in February.