ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Giving up BC and taking ILR for child

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vlabathomas
Mood:

ILR to Citizen

Post by vlabathomas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Hello

My 5 yr old daughter took here citizenship here last year , I'm here on ILR and was looking to take citizenship..

The question I have is as soon as I take this citizenship i lose my Indian citizenship as she did.

I've got few houses in India i purchased and i was wondering what happens to my properties now if i take BC ?

Would it be alright to continue in ILR only..?

Also even if i take BC one day, can i go back and leave in India ( Assuming that i can take state pension from here and live in India. )

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: ILR to Citizen

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Hello

India doesn't accept 2 citizenships. Speaking with my Indian friends, when they apply and get the BC, they surrender their Indian passport and they get some sort of long term visa to go to visit India.

As far as the UK is concerned, you can keep living here with your ILR and Indian citizenship.

Later in life, if you retire in India and stay there too long, you may lose the British ILR.

For the properties, no idea. You need to see if foreigners or ex-citizens can still own properties in India.

Plotoder
India

Post by Plotoder » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:02 pm

vlabathomas wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:19 pm
Hello

My 5 yr old daughter took here citizenship here last year , I'm here on ILR and was looking to take citizenship..

The question I have is as soon as I take this citizenship i lose my Indian citizenship as she did.

I've got few houses in India i purchased and i was wondering what happens to my properties now if i take BC ?

Would it be alright to continue in ILR only..?

Also even if i take BC one day, can i go back and leave in India ( Assuming that i can take state pension from here and live in India. )
Purchase of property is governed by RBI rules, FEMA and enforced by ED.

Nothing happens to your properties. Laws restrict purchase of agriculture property by non residents (including Indian citizens who are non resident), but if you have had agriculture property before being a NRI/OCI, you can continue to hold or even sell it later on. I researched it all because I own a few agriculture properties and their title security was important to me.

Plotoder
India

Post by Plotoder » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Apologies, missed your other question. Once you become a BC, apply for OCI and you can live and work in India without restrictions forever. There’s no expiry to OCI, just the card has to be renewed once you are 50 years old because of facial changes.

vlabathomas
Mood:

Post by vlabathomas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm

thankyou , there is one more querry.

So thing is we took some LIC's and Postoffice Suvidha account for my little girl when she just 2 years, she acquired her BC lately. I did go through the post office portal which says Suvidha account is not valid now as she is an OCI. Is this true ?

Also what happens now when LIC's all matures ?? Is this all well invalid ?

vlabathomas
Mood:

Giving up BC and taking ILR for child

Post by vlabathomas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:47 pm

I took BC for my 4 year old daughter last year.
I took her OCI as well after that.
We are still on ILR

Later i came to understand there is lots of issues with BC that i wont be able to
give her my properties etc in future without paying inheritance tax in this country.

I can't find any sensible options in this country that give me good returns like LIC, or chitty etc.
Only way is BTL and that comes at a huge risk and tax again.

Should i just give up her BC and ILR for her by going through the process again.
What else can you recomend .?

Sorry to ask many questions but seriosuly i feel im unable to do anything much for my daughter
as no Postoffice Suvidha for her and inheritance tax for anything i can transfer across which is all my hard earned
money i saved after paying tax here..

secret.simon

Re: Giving up BC and taking ILR for child

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Moving this thread to the Other Countries forum as it has more to do with loss of Indian citizenship than with British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.