ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Scanned documents - What's the correct way?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gij007oo
Mood:

Scanned documents - What's the correct way?

Post by gij007oo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:51 am

Hi,

I hope all of you are doing good. Please advise about the following:

What's the correct way of scanning the documents?

I am planning to paste the scanned document to a word file first because I want to add some description/background to the document or set of documents and then convert it into a pdf file.

Is this acceptable?

gij007oo
Mood:

Re: Scanned documents - What's the correct way?

Post by gij007oo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 am

Let's say, for any reason any scanned document is deemed to be not of good enough quality or something, can this document be rescanned just there and then at the appointment place?

If yes, is there going to be a charge for this?

If no, do I really have to book another appointment then?

I am not planning to pay for any additional services but please let me know, if I should.

Thanks in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Just scan the documents in PDF or JPEG. Ideally in PDF. Each file should not be more than 6MB. I think the system indicates if it has to be done in grey scale or colour. You need not add any details on the word first and then scan it.

Once you upload the documents it gives you option to add a caption with each document to describe it.

You should carry the originals just incase a rescan is needed. Originals will be returned after appointment.

They can scan for you in case needed. Usually its on an additional charge.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Is adding some description above the scanned image completely unacceptable?

For instance, I have added a one line description of each of my previous BRPs/Stamped visas for additional clarity. However, they are part of one PDF file.

I have added such one line descriptions of pages of my passport which show my time outside UK but again all these pages are part of one PDF file etc. They say ''left UK on this date" .. "re-entered UK on X date'' etc.

Is this approach really unacceptable?

Btw, how much is the additional charge for each scan, especially, when we haven't paid any additional charge for any additional services?

Thank you.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 pm

I am also planning to take another different set of two pictures, in case, the initial two were considered unacceptable for any reason.

Are they going to accept the new ones just there and then or will I be asked to book another appointment?

I really don't want to be in a situation of booking another appointment.

So please do advise the measures I can take to avoid such a scenario.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:10 am

You are just overthinking.

As long as you scan and upload all the documents you will be fine. I scanned my documents on the phone and it worked all fine.

Just take the originals with you. They will scan (IF needed) any document required.

I am not sure what the charge for a single scan is.

You can check the UKVCAS website for that.

Also, tbh you just need to scan the documents. Descriptions are not needed. You can just name the files accordingly e.g. “current passport”, “brp” etc. Also you can use the captions while uploading.

If I was you I would not add any text in the scan.

Acceptable or not? Cant really comment.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:37 am

Also, you will NOT be asked to book another appointment. They will scan if needed anyways at the same appointment (which is rare if you scan yourself).

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Thank you for the replies. It means a lot.

The relevant docs page states the following:

"Mandatory documents for X
Below is a list of mandatory document categories for your application. Each category tab contains a description of the documents required. Please ensure that you provide a document in each of these categories.

Document Type
Status
Proof of Application

1. Am I supposed to upload 'all' the documents mentioned in the checklist or just my passport?

2a. Why does it only ask for the 'proof of application' What is that anyway?

2b. And why are the rest of sections under the heading of Optional?

One more question:

3. I have only travelled outside the UK once in the last 11 years. Should I just share the scan copies of two entry in and entry out stamps? Or do I have to upload the very first page of that specific passport in this section?

I have uploaded the scanned images of 'all' my passports in the other section of proof of residence so not sure, if it is understood which passport those two stamped pages belong to or if I need to add the initial page.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Btw, my pictures on the referee forms look a bit dull. Could this become an issue? Should I take additional recent pictures with me which are brighter in comparison?

Please do answer all the above questions. Many thanks in anticipation.

Gijo

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:39 pm

gij007oo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:59 pm
Thank you for the replies. It means a lot.

The relevant docs page states the following:

"Mandatory documents for X
Below is a list of mandatory document categories for your application. Each category tab contains a description of the documents required. Please ensure that you provide a document in each of these categories.

Document Type
Status
Proof of Application

1. Am I supposed to upload 'all' the documents mentioned in the checklist or just my passport?

2a. Why does it only ask for the 'proof of application' What is that anyway?

2b. And why are the rest of sections under the heading of Optional?

One more question:

3. I have only travelled outside the UK once in the last 11 years. Should I just share the scan copies of two entry in and entry out stamps? Or do I have to upload the very first page of that specific passport in this section?

I have uploaded the scanned images of 'all' my passports in the other section of proof of residence so not sure, if it is understood which passport those two stamped pages belong to or if I need to add the initial page.
1) Yes
2a) Its just a category. You have to upload the current passport and the consent form(if needed) for your application.
2b) This is how it is. Its is normal. Ignore the word “optional” and just upload ALL your documents in whichever category it fits best of your knowledge. It really does not matter where you upload. Just upload once.
3) You do not need to upload the stamps pages again if you already have uploaded the passports in another category. Upload once is fine. 11 years? You only need to cover 5 years residency OR 3 years (incase you are married to q BC). 11 years history is not needed anyways.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:42 pm

gij007oo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:04 pm
Btw, my pictures on the referee forms look a bit dull. Could this become an issue? Should I take additional recent pictures with me which are brighter in comparison?

Please do answer all the above questions. Many thanks in anticipation.

Gijo
It should be a recent photo of you ideally which should match your digital photo which you will provide at the biometrics appointment. If it does not match or is very old it may cause delays.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm

gij007oo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:04 pm
Doesn’t matter! Brighten it up on scan and upload
I used more than a year old pic used at the time of ILR.

meneab
Newly Registered

Post by meneab » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 pm

I also have the same problem with uploaded documents!

The passport photo page is very dull, as well as other pages. The original file looks much better. Does the uploading reduce the quality or what? Would that be a problem?

Thanks for your reply in advance!

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:03 pm

meneab wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 pm
Not in my experience. I used my cell phone. I didn’t like the phone scan result of b&w, photocopy or coloured so I opted for true picture taken by the phone. Saved as pdf n uploaded to UKVCAS from my phone.
Zoom + the docs and check if you can read. If highly pixelated then scan again on a higher resolution on a scanner

meneab
Newly Registered

Post by meneab » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Do I need to scan all pages? Or just the stamped pages? Some of the stamps are so vague that I cannot even read them from the passport! Would it make a problem?

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 pm

meneab wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm
Do I need to scan all pages? Or just the stamped pages? Some of the stamps are so vague that I cannot even read them from the passport! Would it make a problem?
You already have a running thread. Ask ur next question there.
Yes scan all pages. Not ur problem.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 am

Thank you for all the replies everyone!!! You guys are really kind and helpful!

Why do we need to scan all pages of the passport?

I have three passports. Two are expired. One the second last passport, I have two stamps of my only visit to a foreign country from here. I have only scanned these two stamped pages.

Is the above really not sufficient?

Scanning each and every page of all three passports sound painful. Is this really required? :/

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 am

@cullinan

You stated:

''You do not need to upload the stamps pages again if you already have uploaded the passports in another category''

I have only scanned the first and second page of my three passports (two are expired and one current)

I have only scanned the two pages which had travelling stamps on them. I have only travelled once in the last 11 years. These two stamps are on my second last expired passport.

Do I really need to scan all pages of all my three passports? :p

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 am

gij007oo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 am
Thank you for all the replies everyone!!! You guys are really kind and helpful!

Why do we need to scan all pages of the passport?

I have three passports. Two are expired. One the second last passport, I have two stamps of my only visit to a foreign country from here. I have only scanned these two stamped pages.

Is the above really not sufficient?

Scanning each and every page of all three passports sound painful. Is this really required? :/
Not really.
It’s just to be on the safe side.
Neither did I or the sopra rep scan my full passports ie empty pages.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks everyone.

The representative there only looked at my original passport but that's about it.

He didn't want to see any other original document. Is this normal?

He checked all my uploaded scanned files on the system and he was happy with the quality of them.

He didn't even ask to see the original signed referee forms.

Then my biometrics and picture were taken and that was the end of it.

He said I will receive a confirmation by email in the evening but I have not received any such confirmation.

Please advise.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:00 am

gij007oo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 am
It’s not their job to check ur documents apart from ur passport to verify ur identity unless you pay them to do so. They couldn’t care less abt the veracity of any document and whether or not it’s uploaded as long as what you have uploaded is of a decent quality.
Ukvcas is a 3rd part agent like the post office providing facilities to applicants.

apatiluk
Mood:
India

Post by apatiluk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:32 pm

gij007oo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 am
Thanks everyone.

The representative there only looked at my original passport but that's about it.

He didn't want to see any other original document. Is this normal?

He checked all my uploaded scanned files on the system and he was happy with the quality of them.

Please advise.
Yes, they do not check all the original documents. They will check whether you have uploaded all the required documents that they need to verify and pass it on to UKVI/caseworker. In our case, we gave the biometrics and then directed to representative, representative asked for our passport and checked and mentioned "you have uploaded all the documents & your biometrics is done" , you have subscribed for the SMS service, so once we submit it to UKVI , you will receive a SMS text and now you are all set. The biometrics visit was done within 10 minutes.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:44 am

Oh thanks guys.

He did say that all my scan results are fine.

I still have not received any confirmation about giving my biometrics by email.

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:44 am

Oh thanks guys.

He did say that all my scan results are fine.

I still have not received any confirmation about giving my biometrics by email. The sop guy said I will :/

Plus, why can't they send our virtual documents, biometrics and online application immediately after our appointment?

gij007oo
Mood:

Post by gij007oo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 am

What's the average processing time for us to get a decision these days or let's say in the last 6 months or so? Are you guys aware of the average timeline?

Thank you once again. You guys are very knowledgeable and helpful!