ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning BRP after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

daar
Newly Registered

Returning BRP after naturalisation

Post by daar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi

I recently received my naturalisation approval letter. My ceremony is next month. I have a question from senior members of this group:

I have 2 kids and both received their British passports due to my BRP status (ILR). I have read on several places that, upon renewal of my kids passports they are going to ask for indefinite leave BRP. If I return the BRP after attending the ceremony what would I send them as proof?

If I don’t return the BRP within 5 days of attending the ceremony I could get fined £1000.

Anyone knows how to get in touch with HO to enquire about this?

Appreciate a reply - thanks in advance
Dar

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Returning BRP after naturalisation

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:37 pm

daar wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:56 pm
Hi

I recently received my naturalisation approval letter. My ceremony is next month. I have a question from senior members of this group:

I have 2 kids and both received their British passports due to my BRP status (ILR). I have read on several places that, upon renewal of my kids passports they are going to ask for indefinite leave BRP. If I return the BRP after attending the ceremony what would I send them as proof?

If I don’t return the BRP within 5 days of attending the ceremony I could get fined £1000.

Anyone knows how to get in touch with HO to enquire about this?

Appreciate a reply - thanks in advance
Dar

Your question is not entirely clear. Which BRP are you returning? How can you renew your children’s passport that they just obtained?

If your children had any BRP before they obtained their citizenship, then send the BRP back as required. Their case is different from yours. You will need to return your ILR BRP after you have attended your ceremony. I don’t know how this is connected to your children’s passport renewal in any way.
For proof, use a registered mail/ signed for when you return the BRP so you can used that as evidence that you returned the BRP.
I hope this answers your question. If not, you can wait for more response or make your question clearer.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

daar
Newly Registered

Post by daar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks for your speedy response. I should have been more clear about my question

I got my indefinite in Nov. 2015 and my 1st baby was born in May 2016. Her passport renewal is in 2021. I have heard that passport office requires you to submit the same proof (in this case my BRP) for renewal applications. If I return the BRP, passport office may not entertain the application for renewal?

Anyway to keep the BRP for future renewals?

Thanks

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 pm

daar wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:56 pm
Read Cullinans post! You can keep ur BRP for the sake of ur children. I’ll leave it to him to answer.

daar
Newly Registered

Post by daar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Thanks! Could you share the link for Cullinans post?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Literally the 6th topic below yours!!

british-citizenship/uk-born-child-after ... 75409.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

daar
Newly Registered

Post by daar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks CR001 - apologies as I am accessing this form on phone and quite easy to miss the topics. I have read the form, unfortunately still not clear about it, as he hasn’t provided any address etc he sent his letter to?

Anyone knows more than that? I was thinking of using post office check & send service to certify the BRP and return the original?

Thanks
Dar

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 pm

u
daar wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm
The POL Returns, PO Box 195, Bristol BS20 1BT

daar
Newly Registered

Post by daar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Thank you so much Aman90!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 am

daar wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:57 pm
Thanks CR001 - apologies as I am accessing this form on phone and quite easy to miss the topics. I have read the form, unfortunately still not clear about it, as he hasn’t provided any address etc he sent his letter to?

Anyone knows more than that? I was thinking of using post office check & send service to certify the BRP and return the original?

Thanks
Dar
Thanks Aman and CR001.

You should not return the original as it can create problems for your children in the future.

I am still awaiting reply so will update my own thread when I hear something.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

daar
Newly Registered

Post by daar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks Cullinan

Yes, I would also like to keep the BRP for any future incidents.

I was checking renewal requirements for British passport holders and it just asks for old passport along with picture etc and nothing re BRP?

Anyone knows if that’s the case?

Thanks
Dar

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm

daar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 am
Thanks Cullinan

Yes, I would also like to keep the BRP for any future incidents.

I was checking renewal requirements for British passport holders and it just asks for old passport along with picture etc and nothing re BRP?

Anyone knows if that’s the case?

Thanks
Dar
It can be a problem when the child applies for an adult passport or if the passport is lost or stolen.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.