ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I a British Citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JudgeT
Newly Registered

Am I a British Citizen?

Post by JudgeT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 am

I have the following:

+Have Uk Birth certificate
+Lived in UK for over 30+ years continuously
+UK driving license
+National insurance number

My mother was also born in the UK, which shows on my birth certificate, but I am unable to prove her citizenship due to having no contact with her for over 10 years and not knowing her date of birth. I was raised by a friend of the family. My mother is the only real family I have/know.
I do not know my father.

So where does this leave me? If I am not a British Citizen, what route do I take given my circumstances?

secret.simon

Re: Am I a British Citizen?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:52 am

When and where were you born?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JudgeT
Newly Registered

Post by JudgeT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 am

1988 - London

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:55 am

Do you know where in the UK your mother was born? Can you obtain her date of birth and maiden name from her friends/family?

Also, can you prove (via school records, doctor notes, etc) that you had resided in the UK for the first ten years of your life, with no absence exceeding 90 days per year?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JudgeT
Newly Registered

Post by JudgeT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 am

She was born in Northern Ireland, that much I know. I have tried all avenues to locate her, and get any information I possibly can, but to no avail.

I know the home office has me on file as living in the UK for my entire childhood, which I've confirmed through a freedom of information request. That was recorded when I had to give an address history when applying for my national insurance number and they interviewed me and my caregiver.
Other than that, nothing else, I was homeschooled and I've never been to a doctor.

I know it's a rather precarious situation, hence why I've put off this line of enquiry for all these years.

JudgeT
Newly Registered

Post by JudgeT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm

I thought this would be a simple one lol

Given that my mums place of birth is in my birth certificate (UK) and anyone born before 1983 is automatically a british citizen. I was born in 1988 so she was logically born before 1983.

She would have needed to prove her nationality during my birth registration.

With this whole brexit thing just need to understand if my kids need to apply for settlement status since their mum is EU citizen.

JudgeT
Newly Registered

Post by JudgeT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 pm

FYI ive held uk driving license and NI number for over 10 years and have been working all my adult life.

ttcg

Post by ttcg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:56 am

JudgeT wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 pm
FYI ive held uk driving license and NI number for over 10 years and have been working all my adult life.
Just wondering why your previous employers never ask your passport/identity?

I have to provide the passport in all my previous jobs. Probably, It's obvious to them that I'm an immigrant.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 am

If you can prove that your mother was British at the time of your birth, then you are one too. Perhaps the friends of your family can help you trace her? A difficulty is proving your identity and relationship to your British mother.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.