ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Category B, UK spousal visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Category B, UK spousal visa

Post by Shireberk7 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:08 pm

I have held my current job since May 2019 and it pays approx. £14,800 per year. I don't start my new job until April 2020 which pays £23,000 per year.

How does Category B work and how would I combine income from the two jobs? My understanding is that once May 2020 rolls around, I will have been employed for one continuous year and I can provide 1 pay slip from my new job (£23k per annum) plus 12 pay slips from my old job which paid £14.8k per annum.

Please provide some advice, I am confused as to how it exactly works.

Thanks!

geoeng
Canada

Re: Category B, UK spousal visa

Post by geoeng » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:14 pm

Shireberk7 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:08 pm
There are two parts to Category B that you must meet. First, your current job must have a salary or income requirement that meets the financial requirement. Second, you must have received a total income in the previous 12 months that meets the financial requirement.

Assuming you are only sponsoring your partner and no children, the financial requirement you will have to meet is £18,600. So your new job will satisfy the second part of Category B; however, the first part will not be satisfied by your current job. You will either have to earn more income prior to starting the new job to get to the £18,600 threshold or wait until you are enough months into the new job to meet it, though by this time you would likely be 6 months in and could apply under Category A (unless you had other income to add).

Additional details here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Post by Shireberk7 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pm

geoeng wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:14 pm
Shireberk7 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:08 pm
There are two parts to Category B that you must meet. First, your current job must have a salary or income requirement that meets the financial requirement. Second, you must have received a total income in the previous 12 months that meets the financial requirement.

Assuming you are only sponsoring your partner and no children, the financial requirement you will have to meet is £18,600. So your new job will satisfy the second part of Category B; however, the first part will not be satisfied by your current job. You will either have to earn more income prior to starting the new job to get to the £18,600 threshold or wait until you are enough months into the new job to meet it, though by this time you would likely be 6 months in and could apply under Category A (unless you had other income to add).

Additional details here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf
I've read the sections in the .pdf file pertaining to my situation but I am still unclear.

In my current job, my salary is £14.8k per year but the past two months I have been doing overtime and my last two lay slips are £2,000 per month. This overtime is likely to continue until January 2020 before it drops back down again to about £1,200 per month. Will the overtime I am doing now benefit us in Category B?

How many pay slips do I need to submit from my current job and how do they calculate the earnings over the past twelve months?

Thanks.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm

Shireberk7 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pm
I've read the sections in the .pdf file pertaining to my situation but I am still unclear.

In my current job, my salary is £14.8k per year but the past two months I have been doing overtime and my last two lay slips are £2,000 per month. This overtime is likely to continue until January 2020 before it drops back down again to about £1,200 per month. Will the overtime I am doing now benefit us in Category B?

How many pay slips do I need to submit from my current job and how do they calculate the earnings over the past twelve months?

Thanks.
Yes, the overtime will definitely be to your benefit. You will need to provide 12 months worth of pay slips and bank statements. For income in the previous 12 months they will simply add up the total amount earned.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Post by Shireberk7 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm

geoeng wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm
Shireberk7 wrote:

Thanks.
Yes, the overtime will definitely be to your benefit. You will need to provide 12 months worth of pay slips and bank statements. For income in the previous 12 months they will simply add up the total amount earned.
Oh ok, that's pretty simple. I wasn't sure if they used divisive calculations or just added the total amount of each pay slip.

I'm expecting to basically do the following...

New job April 2020.
Apply May or June 2020.

Provide 10 pay slips from my current job and provide 2 pay slips from my new job next year which should qualify me to sponsor my wife as each pay slip, when added together, comes to a total of £18,600 or more.

Would this method suffice, or am I missing something? Thanks a lot for your help by the way, we appreciate it.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Shireberk7 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm
when added together, comes to a total of £18,600 or more.

Would this method suffice, or am I missing something?
That would work.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Shireberk7 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm
geoeng wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 pm
Shireberk7 wrote:

Thanks.
Oh ok, that's pretty simple. I wasn't sure if they used divisive calculations or just added the total amount of each pay slip.

I'm expecting to basically do the following...

New job April 2020.
Apply May or June 2020.

Provide 10 pay slips from my current job and provide 2 pay slips from my new job next year which should qualify me to sponsor my wife as each pay slip, when added together, comes to a total of £18,600 or more.

Would this method suffice, or am I missing something? Thanks a lot for your help by the way, we appreciate it.
Yes you can meet the financial requirement under category B if the total of your all income earned during the last 12 months from all types of paye jobs is at least £18600. And you should have been earning at least £18600 through salaried employment at the time of application which seems fit in your case. Also before leaving your previous employer dont forget to take employer letter from them as many times UKVI caseworker ask that even it is irrelevant.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Post by Shireberk7 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks both. By the time we apply I'll be in a new job for two months which pays over 18.6k

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:13 am

Shireberk7 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm
Thanks both. By the time we apply I'll be in a new job for two months which pays over 18.6k
With what you have stated and guidance from the knowledgeable moderators you should be fine.
Use the remaining time to gather other documents that you will require in support of the application.

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

15k salary employers letter!!

Post by Shireberk7 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:24 pm

My annual salary is 15k but to meet the requirement ive been doing overtime last 6 months, each pay slip is maybe 1800+. I heard it’s a bad idea to say in employers letter “X’s annual salary is 15,000” as they could refuse on this basis – even if my 6 pay slips are above the required 1550. What do I do?

What's best way to address annual salary below threshold in the employers letter if ive been relying on overtime to meet it

This has got me worried!

Thank u

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Re: 15k salary employers letter!!

Post by Shireberk7 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Would saying... "his salary is 15000 per year however he has been relying on overtime to meet the financial requirement"? Be sufficient??

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Post by Shireberk7 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Also I'm applying through Cat A now as overtime been going on for 6 months. Not applying under Cat B anymore as previous posts stage

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Shireberk7 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:24 pm
My annual salary is 15k but to meet the requirement ive been doing overtime last 6 months, each pay slip is maybe 1800+. I heard it’s a bad idea to say in employers letter “X’s annual salary is 15,000” as they could refuse on this basis – even if my 6 pay slips are above the required 1550. What do I do?

What's best way to address annual salary below threshold in the employers letter if ive been relying on overtime to meet it

This has got me worried!

Thank u
Your employer letter should state about your overtime as well in addition of your base salary. Your employer can simply provide the total of your overtime. That query has been becoming the most frequently asked where the sponsor is earning insufficient base salary but have to do some overtime to meet the requirement. All relevant overtime income will be calculated under none-salaried person approach and then be added to base salary (salaried income).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Shireberk7
Newly Registered

Post by Shireberk7 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 pm

And as long as my pay slips are 1550 or above even if base salary is 15k I qualify??

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:44 am

Shireberk7 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 pm
And as long as my pay slips are 1550 or above even if base salary is 15k I qualify??
Yes.