ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI documents return

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

prk17
Newly Registered
India

OCI documents return

Post by prk17 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi, I am planning of applying for an OCI for my daughter (recently acquired British passport). I have already surrendered the Indian Passport.

I am travelling to India for 2 months on 1 Dec. I will be applying for an Indian visa (I think it takes 24 hours to get one). However, if possible, I would like to apply for her OCI and then go to India which I am told is a possibility. I have appointment availability in end of November.

My query is this - Suppose I apply for her OCI and travel to India with an Indian Visa. What happens to the OCI documents and other supportive documents in case they are issued sooner and I miss its delivery? Is it safe to do so?

Thank you
Regards,
Prk

xebec
Australia

Re: OCI documents return

Post by xebec » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:28 pm

prk17 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm
Hi, I am planning of applying for an OCI for my daughter (recently acquired British passport). I have already surrendered the Indian Passport.

I am travelling to India for 2 months on 1 Dec. I will be applying for an Indian visa (I think it takes 24 hours to get one). However, if possible, I would like to apply for her OCI and then go to India which I am told is a possibility. I have appointment availability in end of November.

My query is this - Suppose I apply for her OCI and travel to India with an Indian Visa. What happens to the OCI documents and other supportive documents in case they are issued sooner and I miss its delivery? Is it safe to do so?

Thank you
Regards,
Prk
If you have an appointment in November you're unlikely to get the OCI by the end of January ie 6-8 weeks processing time is normal. You have to account for the Christmas holidays which further delays processing.

Therefore, you would have to travel to India on the eVisa in December. I suggest that during the appointment, you request the option to collect the OCI from VFS, so that you can collect it on return if no one is at home while you are in India.

The grant of an OCI does not invalidate the eVisa visa that is in effect. You would have to abide by the eVisa conditions (no work etc.) as you have entered India on that visa, until you depart India. Indian immigration does not permit the changing of immigration status whilst in the country, so you would not be able to enjoy any OCI rights until you reenter the country with the OCI document.