ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to British Citizenship application - Can I still apply if I 'overstayed' in past 10 years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

daviddavidson
Newly Registered
Russia

Overstayed for half a year - out of my control - ILR to NATURALISATION process

Post by daviddavidson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi there,

I have a complex situation and was wondering if any of you could suggest to me what I should do next.

I entered UK legally in 2007 as a student. I then continuously and legally lived here for 10 years as a student. After the 10 year mark, in 2017 I applied for another student visa for my masters degree. That application was submitted in-time but was later refused because I failed to submit a document by accident. But by the time my refusal letter came back the visa I was currently on expired.

Within days of the refusal I applied for ILR via the 10 year route. As far as I'm aware I was an overstayer after my student visa was refused.

Half a year later in the summer of 2018 my ILR was granted to me. Soon it will have been a year since my ILR was approved and I was wondering what my chances are of obtaining citizenship?

I know that the half a year gap before my ILR was granted will look bad for my 'good character' criteria. But that overstaying gap was out of my control, I followed the correct steps in order to obtain my student visa and my application was in-time. I did not know it will be refused.

Aside from this I have always paid my taxes, never missed any bill payments, I'm not in debt, never had trouble with the law.

Is there any point in even spending over £1500 on legal advice and application fees? What are the chances for discretion by the home office?

Thank you so much

secret.simon

Re: Overstayed for half a year - out of my control - ILR to NATURALISATION process

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 pm

daviddavidson wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm
That application was submitted in-time but was later refused
If you still have the refusal letter with you, can you check if your application was refused or declared invalid? There is a difference between the two terms which may be crucial.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Overstayed for half a year - out of my control - ILR to NATURALISATION process

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 pm
daviddavidson wrote:
If you still have the refusal letter with you, can you check if your application was refused or declared invalid? There is a difference between the two terms which may be crucial.
Appears to have been refused for not submitting specific supporting documents.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/urgent-help- ... l#p1562302

And ILR refused in 2017 December for being over the absence limit.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/10-years-lon ... l#p1577125
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 am

Hello
You should apply for BC ,I dont think you have actually overstayed.Time during your student visa application and ILR application was legal otherwise HO wouldnt have granted you ILR and declared you overstayer doesnt matter if you have spent 10 yrs legally .This overstayer rule is bothering many people.It actually is an abuse of power.

daviddavidson
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by daviddavidson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:27 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 pm
daviddavidson wrote:
it was refused due to not disclosing supporting documents

daviddavidson
Newly Registered
Russia

ILR to British Citizenship application - Can I still apply if I 'overstayed' in past 10 years

Post by daviddavidson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi there again,

I posted this previously but I wanted to see if anyone else could help me this time

I have a complex situation and was wondering if any of you could suggest to me what I should do next.

I entered UK legally in 2007 as a student. I then continuously and legally lived here for 10 years as a student. After the 10 year mark, in 2017 I applied for another student visa for my masters degree. That application was submitted in-time but was later refused because I failed to submit a document by accident. But by the time my refusal letter came back the current visa I was on already expired.

Within days of the refusal of my masters visa I applied for ILR via the 10 year route. Does it make me an overstayer if I made an 'in-time' application, but the application was rejected so I became in 'breach' during that time?

ILR was then granted in June 2018.

I assume that half a year awaiting my ILR counts as overstaying?

I know that the half a year gap before my ILR was granted will look bad for my 'good character' criteria. But that overstaying gap was out of my control, I followed the correct steps in order to obtain my student visa and my application was in-time. I did not know it will be refused.

Aside from this I have always paid my taxes, never missed any bill payments, I'm not in debt, never had trouble with the law.

Is there any point in even spending over £1500 on legal advice and application fees? What are the chances for discretion by the home office?

Thank you so much

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR to British Citizenship application - Can I still apply if I 'overstayed' in past 10 years

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

daviddavidson
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: ILR to British Citizenship application - Can I still apply if I 'overstayed' in past 10 years

Post by daviddavidson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Thank you for helping me with merging the two

daviddavidson
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by daviddavidson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi

Can anyone advise?

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 pm

You made in time applications.. protected by 3C and 39E.
No overstay.