ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it okay to be unemployed at the time of application for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

KM0170

Financial requirements questions

Post by KM0170 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi,

I am a British citizen and my wife is a Pakistani national on a spouse visa on the 5 year route which is due to come to end around April next year after which we will apply for ILR. We have one child who was born in Britain.

From my understanding one of us is required to be earning £18,600 per year (as you do not count a British child as a dependent). Regarding my job I am wanting to either go part time or leave and after a period of time find a new job. For going part time I would look to reduce my hours to ensure that including any guaranteed bonuses I will meet the minimum requirement of £18,600.

A few questions:
1/ Do you have to be earning for a certain period of time before the application of ILR?
2/ If one of us has savings will this effect our application and how?

I think that going part time to ensure I meet the minimum financial requirement is the "safer" option as if I leave my current job without having a new one lined up it is uncertain when I will have one again so if there is some rule saying you have to work a minimum period this could be risky. I am unsure how savings will affect the application and in turn the above situation.

Can you please advise and provide as much information as possible?

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: Financial requirements questions

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:17 pm

KM0170 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 pm
1/ Do you have to be earning for a certain period of time before the application of ILR?
6 months with the same employer if a salaried job, 12 months otherwise (I am oversimplifying, but you get the picture).
KM0170 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 pm
2/ If one of us has savings will this effect our application and how?
Only savings over £16,000 count. For every £2.5 of savings over £16,000 (which you need to have held for at least six months), your income requirement reduces by £1.

To completely cover the £18,600 income requirement, you would need savings of £62,500 ((18,600*2.5)+16,000).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

KM0170

Post by KM0170 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:03 am

Hey thanks for the reply.

I take it then I don't really have an option but to continue working other than to try reduce hours to part time or find another job that is part time. If I find a new job while working and move to that so there won't be a large gap between employment (say 2 weeks) is this okay?

My wife was working up until August (she was on a 9 month contract which finished at the start of August) and after which she went onto maternity leave. She will get SMP up until May, she arrived here in April 2015 so we will apply at the start of April (roughly 28 days before her entry into the UK).

Does this mean I can earn less than the £18,600 as long as adding in her monthly maternity pay we combined have a total of £18,600?

I want to do things with least risk to the application so if becoming part time and/or using a combined earning with the SMP could be a potential issue I would rather not take the risk. If I have a feeling going part time would not be an issue so long as I meet the £18,600.

Please provide as much information as possible please as I am a bit unsure what my options are.

Thank you

KM0170

Post by KM0170 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 am

Hi does anyone have any advice, suggestions or information etc please?

Thanks

KM0170

Post by KM0170 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 am

Is it okay to be with the same employer but go down to a reduced salary with less than 6 months before the application?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm

KM0170 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 am
Is it okay to be with the same employer but go down to a reduced salary with less than 6 months before the application?

Thanks
Yes as long as the reduced pay does not bring you below the threshold
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

KM0170

Do you need to be working with the same employer/same salary 6 months prior to application?

Post by KM0170 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi all

We are due to apply for ILR (5 year route - spouse visa) in May (so about 5 months) and I just want to double check a few things as I don't want to take a decision that will negatively impact the application.

I have been with my current employer for over 3 years and am thinking of either getting a new job or going part time with a reduced salary. I will ensure I still meet the threshold set (we have had a child so the threshold is £18,600) doing either.

If I change job is that fine i.e. you don't have to be with the same employer for a minimum time before applying.
If I go part time is that fine i.e. you don't have to be earning the same salary for a minimum time before applying.

Any advice/suggestions/corrections please?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Do you need to be working with the same employer/same salary 6 months prior to application?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Topics Merged!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KM0170

Re: Do you need to be working with the same employer/same salary 6 months prior to application?

Post by KM0170 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the reply regarding salary, how about if I change job (and company)?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm

KM0170 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:13 pm
Thanks for the reply regarding salary, how about if I change job (and company)?

Thanks
Then you must apply under category B
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

KM0170

Post by KM0170 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply.

OK, so from my understanding a) the job I go to has to meet the £18,600 requirement and b) The salary I have earned 12 months up to before the application has to meet the financial requirement. The application is in May. I have the following salaries then:

£2091 - December
£2041 - November
£2041 - October
£2041 - September
£3041 - August
£2,359.67 - July
£2,041.67 - June
£2,041.67 - May
£3,936.67 - April

Which totals £21,632 so this meets the requirement?

Have I understood this correctly and got this right please?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Yes. Covering the most recent 12 months before application date

KM0170

Is an employment gap okay to have?

Post by KM0170 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi all.

I am a British national and my wife is a Pakistani national over on a spouse on a visa. Her visa expires around May so we will most likely apply at some point in April.

If I were to leave my current job and there was a gap of say 3-4 weeks before starting my new job would this be an issue? This would happen before the application, most likely the situation would be that I leave this job in roughly a month and then there is a 3 week gap before starting my new job.

Please advise and provide as much information as possible please.

Thank you

KM0170

Is it okay to be unemployed at the time of application for ILR

Post by KM0170 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi all,

Is it okay to be unemployed at the time of application for ILR? I (British citizen) have worked for several years and would potentially be unemployed at the beginning of March. We will make the application in April as wife's spouse visa expires in May.

I would appreciate as much information as possible please.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:53 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm
Topics Merged!!
!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KM0170

ILR application guidelines/information/advice please

Post by KM0170 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:41 pm

Hi

I am a British national and my wife is a Pakistani national who is here on a spouse visa. She arrived here in April 2015 and we applied for the visa extension after roughly 2.5 years. Her visa is set to expire around May 2020.

What are the major differences between the IRL and the extension applications? When applying for the visa extension application there were guideline notes and we were able to show someone the form and get advice. Maybe due to the form now being online I can't find any guideline notes so as much advice would be appreciated please.

She will have taken the English B1 and Life in the UK tests come the time of application.

Are you able to edit the online form? e.g. fill in sections, save it, go back and edit sections.

I just want to make sure we have all key areas/requirements covered and are well prepared so as much advice/information would be appreciated please.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Is it okay to be unemployed at the time of application for ILR

Post by zimba » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:44 pm

FLR(M) and SET(M) have the same exact financial requirements. ILR has English requirement at B1 and you need to pass LIUK test.
You can save and edit the form online before submission.