ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

YSD
Newly Registered
India

Citizenship

Post by YSD » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am

Hi,

My son was born in UK and he has UK citizenship and British passport, both myself and my wife have ILR with an eligibility to apply for British citizenship next year but we are planning to go back to India for few years and I wanted to understand if we can get back to UK based on our Son's citizenship in future?

Plotoder
India

Re: Citizenship

Post by Plotoder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 am

Having a British son does not entitle or allow you to claim British Citizenship.

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:00 pm

YSD wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am
I wanted to understand if we can get back to UK based on our Son's citizenship in future?
There is no automatic right to enter or reside in the UK based on any familial relationship.

Both your wife and you will need to apply for the relevant (work/study/visit) visa in your own right (and there is no parental visa). Indeed, these forums are replete with visit visas of non-EEA parents of British citizens being declined because the ECOs are not convinced that the parents will return to their country of origin.

Also be aware that prolonged absences from the UK (thus visiting the UK and not being resident in the UK) can lead to the ILR being cancelled. ILR also lapses automatically following a continuous absence of two years from the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.