ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife of Refugee - ILR and Citizenship Query

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Anon132
Sudan

Wife of Refugee - ILR and Citizenship Query

Post by Anon132 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi,

I have a query about a complex situation. I came to the UK in 2016 through the Family Reunion route as my husband is a Sudanese refugee. We are due to apply for ILR in January, however after browsing the threads on this very resourceful website, I am starting to worry.

I am also Sudanese but was born and bred in the UAE. I moved to Sudan for a few years when I got married to my husband and then moved back to the UAE. At this time, my husband had fled to the UK from Sudan and was granted 5 years refugee leave to remain. Since joining him, I have travelled to the UAE 3 times (with my Sudanese passport which I've held before I came to the UK and used to enter the UK), all under 2 weeks at a time. However, I'm worried that this might be used against me in the IRL application because I still have the passport. I have no ties to Sudan whatsoever, all my family members live and work in the UAE and I haven't been to Sudan since 2013.

My question is, will this affect our ILR application as I will be my husband's dependent along with my 1 year old son?

Also, if we were granted ILR, and I renewed my Sudanese passport just to go back to the UAE to visit my family, will this affect my citizenship application?

The problem is the UAE doesn't accept any travel documents so I will be forced to renew my Sudanese passport. I don't have any intention of going back to Sudan and technically my husband is the refugee here however my visa is based on his.

I truly appreciate any advice and responses.

Many thanks.

lapidus
France

Re: Wife of Refugee - ILR and Citizenship Query

Post by lapidus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:43 am

hi
I don't think your own situation is the same as our husband, as far I understand you are a refugee's wife but not refugee yourself . you are free to travel but after your ILR you shouldn't be out of the country more than 90 days in the year prior your citizenship application.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi lapidus,

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm really hoping that it won't be a problem. Even though I'm not a refugee myself, my visa will state refugee settlement which is what's worrying me.

I wonder if I should write to the HO about this before I travel?

lapidus
France

Post by lapidus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:13 pm

hi
did you come into the UK on a spouse visa?

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi again,

No, it was through refugee family reunion route. my entry visa plus current BRP just state leave to enter and my husband's name as sponsor.