ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizen Application letter, with local authority 50miles away

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Crimbo111
Newly Registered

Citizen Application letter, with local authority 50miles away

Post by Crimbo111 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am

Hello,

I received my approval letter (dated 29th Oct) from HO. In the letter, the Local Authority HO mentioned is 50 miles away from my residence (I reside in London Hackney; HO letter say Milton Keynes).

I've received no letter from either of the council yet.

My query is, how do I go around changing this from Milton Keynes to my Local Authority? I've never lived in Milton Keynes, and had no association with that council at all.

If I ring my Local Authority (Hackney), will they have my details with them? As that is my local authority.

Anyone had similar experience?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

aman90
Diamond Member

Re: Citizen Application letter, with local authority 50miles away

Post by aman90 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:56 am

What did you state on the form as to where you’d like the ceremony to be held?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:56 am

Transferring the certificate from one council to another can take a while, as the certificate will need to be returned to the Home Office, who will then pass it to your local council. The Home Office contact detail should be in their letter to you.

It may be much faster to arrange the ceremony with the Milton Keynes local authority and travel down for the day.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Crimbo111
Newly Registered

Post by Crimbo111 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm

aman90 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:56 am
What did you state on the form as to where you’d like the ceremony to be held?
I have just checked on the application I submitted, I said NO to this question,
'Do you want to attend a ceremony in a different council?'

Crimbo111
Newly Registered

Post by Crimbo111 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:15 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:56 am
Transferring the certificate from one council to another can take a while, as the certificate will need to be returned to the Home Office, who will then pass it to your local council. The Home Office contact detail should be in their letter to you.

It may be much faster to arrange the ceremony with the Milton Keynes local authority and travel down for the day.
Thank You.

That is what I am hoping to do, but there are doubts in my head that HO making an admin error and now the whole thing is messed up (wish I was more optimistic)

I will give Milton Keynes a call tomorrow, if they have received the certificate and see what options are there. Kind of wanted this sorted sooner now (Dec holiday plans).

Crimbo111
Newly Registered

Post by Crimbo111 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Further updates:

I checked the Milton Keynes Council citizenship ceremony page; they have an online system to book for ceremony and the online booking system verifies my details i.e. I'm due to attend the ceremony by 21st Jan.

Not really pleased with this admin error made by HO.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Crimbo111 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:00 pm
Further updates:

I checked the Milton Keynes Council citizenship ceremony page; they have an online system to book for ceremony and the online booking system verifies my details i.e. I'm due to attend the ceremony by 21st Jan.

Not really pleased with this admin error made by HO.

If it’s not too expensive- go for a private ceremony instead- to get it over and done with.
Complain to HO and get a refund.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Do you have a particularly common name? It may be somebody else with the same name who applied at about the same time. Be sure to check with the Milton Keynes Council with a phone call.

There was a case a while ago of the certificate meant for a London Borough going to a Welsh council with a similar name (I think it was Newham and Newport, but I am not sure). So likely the caseworker clicked the wrong entry in a dropdown. Not sure how if it is that kind of mistake as there is a gap between Hackney and Milton Keynes.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Crimbo111
Newly Registered

Post by Crimbo111 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Further update, in case someone ends up in similar situation

I contacted my Local Authority (Hackney) as well as Milton Keynes this morning.

Milton Keynes were unaware about the error, and asked me to book the ceremony if I want to.

Hackney (my local authority), got in touch with me and sorted it out.

Basically this,
I was informed that your certificate was inadvertently sent to Milton Keynes Registration Service instead of Hackney Registration Service. Now that this issue has been brought to the attention of the Citizenship Support Team, they will be arranging for a certificate transfer from Milton Keynes to Hackney and will also issue a ceremony extension so that you will not lose out on the time given (90 days) to partake in a citizenship ceremony.
I have decided not to rush for it, rather than wait and see how this plays out.

preetham2103
Newly Registered
India

Post by preetham2103 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:25 am

[quote=Crimbo111 post_id=1846655 time=1573480880 user_id=98645]
Further update, in case someone ends up in similar situation
I contacted my Local Authority (Hackney) as well as Milton Keynes this morning.

Milton Keynes were unaware about the error, and asked me to book the ceremony if I want to.

Hackney (my local authority), got in touch with me and sorted it out.

[/quote]

Hi I am in a similar situation as you and I received letter from Birmingham while I live in Essex. I have 2 questions.
1. Do you have an update/solution for your issue yet & if so, how long did it take to sort out?
2. You said contacted the local authorities but did you have to contact HO during this query & if so, which contact details did you use?

Thank you!