ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to BRP application queries

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jimjams1919
Newly Registered
Malaysia

ILR to BRP application queries

Post by Jimjams1919 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Firstly, I hope I am posting this in the right place. If not, apologies in advance.

I already have an ILR via the long residence route (granted in January 2006) and now have to apply for a BRP, essentially to prove my right to work in the UK as my passport containing the ILR vignette has long expired. (My prospective employer informed me that the ILR can not be accepted to prove my right to work)

I am in the process of completing the online application, but noticed that the documentation requirement is rather onerous, to say the least, considering that I already have the ILR, and had gone through the initial and gruelling process all those years ago!

I can provide most of the required documents e.g. current proof of identity, the ILR obviously etc. but am struggling to provide evidence of continuous residence since January 2006, when the ILR was issued.

I have requested my current bank account statements and council tax bills from the relevant entities, covering the period between January 2006 and when I first started working in the UK in May 2007, in the hope that in combination with a letter from my previous employer confirming my dates of employment I will have sufficiently demonstrated continuous residence since the ILR was issued. I can also supplement the above with a set of payslips and P60s (probably not complete).

Do you think this approach will be acceptable?

Also, I am not entirely clear about having to physically send my passports to the Home
Office as part of the application vs uploading scanned copies of the passports. Can anyone confirm / advise on this point? I prefer to not mail all the passports if this can be avoided or is not required, for obvious reasons.

Lastly, how long does one have to upload the documents once the application has been submitted?

Many thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

JimJam

Singh_harv
India

Re: ILR to BRP application queries

Post by Singh_harv » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 am

Once you have completed and submitted the application, you will need to book an appointment with UKVCAS. UKVCAS will give you an option to either upload the document or they can scan for you for a fee. You can upload documents till your appointment. After the appointment your passport will be returned to you.

Regarding documents: As long as those documents show you have been living in uk and have been not been outside of uk for 2 years then its fine.

You will need to cover documentation from January 2006 until now.

Jimjams1919
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Jimjams1919 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 am

Many thanks, Harv.

Just to clarify: to prove continuous residency, a combination of the above documents would be acceptable? So I don’t have to provide, say, council tax bills and bank account statements for every year since 2006 until now i.e. as long as a combination of these documents prove I have not been outside of the UK for more than 2 years?

Also, what do people generally recommend re: scanning and uploading the documents? Do this at home or go with the paid service?

I am trying to gauge when to submit the application; should I wait until all the documents are available or should I submit the application, get it in the system and collate what I need before the interview? Generally, how far into the future are the appointments?

Many thanks again.

JimJam

Singh_harv
India

Post by Singh_harv » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am

My understanding is yes, you can use combination of documents to prove continuous stay.

If you want to spend £35 extra then let ukvcas scan the documents otherwise you can do it yourself.

You can submit the application now and book appointment for 3-4 weeks after. Should give you sufficient time to gather the documents.

When submitting the application you can choose between standard and priority. Standard applications can take upto 6months and with priority application within 24hrs. Priority is extra £800 on top of application fees.

If you are thinking of travelling soon then should go for priority as if you travel outside uk after your application then you application will be considered withdrawn.

You can also include travel history table showing entry/exit from uk and duration since 2006. Make it easier for case worker.

I recently applied ntl for my mother & her timelines as below:

Standard NTL Application submitted:05 Oct
Standard ukvcas appointment: 28 Oct
Decision: waiting

Jimjams1919
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Jimjams1919 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 am

Just to confirm before I click submit that I should be applying for the BRP as I understand it the NTL route is now obsolete? You can still find info on the NTL application online though, but I believe the only option available for people like me is to apply for the BRP?

But then if you made the NTL application in October...?

Thanks again,

JimJam

Singh_harv
India

Post by Singh_harv » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:01 am

If you had ilr visa on your expired passport and you want to change it to a BRP then you will need to apply for NTL. Same application form is used to update, replace brp. Below is link for it:

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1573199220

Singh_harv
India

Post by Singh_harv » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Jimjams1919,

Did you manage to submit your application?

Jimjams1919
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Jimjams1919 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Just wanted to provide an update on my ILR to BRP application (NTL). Hopefully it will be helpful to someone in the same situation.

Happy to say that today I received an e-mail from the Home Office saying that my application has been granted. It was a generically written e-mail, which I think is probably more suited to a first ILR or other settlement-type application, but I’m not complaining!

Some notes and observations from my application:

1. I decided to scan and upload the supporting documents (proof of address, proof of identity and proof of continuous residence) from home. I could have asked for the documents to be scanned and uploaded during my UKVCAS “standard” appointment, but I wanted to be fully in control of this process, without mistakes or omissions. I also did not want to be at the appointment longer than I needed to. From start to finish, the appointment was no longer than 25 minutes.
(As a side note, the majority of my documents were scanned in grayscale at 100 dpi to keep the file size as low as possible; the resolution was still good with these settings)

2. Further to my earlier posts, I can confirm that in my case a combination of documents covering my residency since my ILR was granted was sufficient. For example, I had bank current account statements covering a period of 1.5 years, an employment letter covering a further number of years, P60 copies covering some of my employment period, health insurance statements and other documents covering other years.

3. After scanning and uploading pages from my current and expired passports which contained data or stamps only, I decided to scan and upload the full passports i.e. even with the blank pages. The UKVCAS staff who took my biometrics and submitted my application said that only the pages with stamps needed to be scanned and uploaded, but also said the ‘more is more’ approach is probably better. Having said that, during the appointment, my current passport was scanned and uploaded again, but without the blank pages. I believe this is standard procedure, before the application is formally submitted.

4. You can upload additional documents which you believe supports / strengthens your case. Apart from the “mandatory” documents described above, I also included “optional” documents which relate to my family life which I think helped to prove my continuous residence.

5. Don’t forget to include the relevant consent forms with your application! I also included the documents checklist for completion (but this is not mandatory)

6. Credit where credit is due. The ‘new’ process of not having to send your travel and other important personal documents via mail or courier to the Home Office should be highly commended. The facility to self-scan and upload documents, to book the appointment for your biometrics and to submit the application at multiple locations and times is also worthy of praise. Compared to the old days, the stress levels were minimal!

7. I paid for the super priority service, which is very, very expensive, to say the least. For me, I wanted a quick decision, and couldn’t wait for months and months. I did think I could not travel outside the UK whilst the NTL application is pending, but I now believe this is not the case.

And that’s it for now. I will wrap up this post once I get the actual BRP in the post.

In the meantime, if any of you has any doubts or queries about the ILR to BRP application or process, let me know and I will try to help where I can.

JimJam.

rajeshpp
Newly Registered
India

Post by rajeshpp » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:28 am

Jimjams1919 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:57 pm
Just wanted to provide an update on my ILR to BRP application (NTL). Hopefully it will be helpful to someone in the same situation.

Happy to say that today I received an e-mail from the Home Office saying that my application has been granted. It was a generically written e-mail, which I think is probably more suited to a first ILR or other settlement-type application, but I’m not complaining!

Some notes and observations from my application:

1. I decided to scan and upload the supporting documents (proof of address, proof of identity and proof of continuous residence) from home. I could have asked for the documents to be scanned and uploaded during my UKVCAS “standard” appointment, but I wanted to be fully in control of this process, without mistakes or omissions. I also did not want to be at the appointment longer than I needed to. From start to finish, the appointment was no longer than 25 minutes.
(As a side note, the majority of my documents were scanned in grayscale at 100 dpi to keep the file size as low as possible; the resolution was still good with these settings)

2. Further to my earlier posts, I can confirm that in my case a combination of documents covering my residency since my ILR was granted was sufficient. For example, I had bank current account statements covering a period of 1.5 years, an employment letter covering a further number of years, P60 copies covering some of my employment period, health insurance statements and other documents covering other years.

3. After scanning and uploading pages from my current and expired passports which contained data or stamps only, I decided to scan and upload the full passports i.e. even with the blank pages. The UKVCAS staff who took my biometrics and submitted my application said that only the pages with stamps needed to be scanned and uploaded, but also said the ‘more is more’ approach is probably better. Having said that, during the appointment, my current passport was scanned and uploaded again, but without the blank pages. I believe this is standard procedure, before the application is formally submitted.

4. You can upload additional documents which you believe supports / strengthens your case. Apart from the “mandatory” documents described above, I also included “optional” documents which relate to my family life which I think helped to prove my continuous residence.

5. Don’t forget to include the relevant consent forms with your application! I also included the documents checklist for completion (but this is not mandatory)

6. Credit where credit is due. The ‘new’ process of not having to send your travel and other important personal documents via mail or courier to the Home Office should be highly commended. The facility to self-scan and upload documents, to book the appointment for your biometrics and to submit the application at multiple locations and times is also worthy of praise. Compared to the old days, the stress levels were minimal!

7. I paid for the super priority service, which is very, very expensive, to say the least. For me, I wanted a quick decision, and couldn’t wait for months and months. I did think I could not travel outside the UK whilst the NTL application is pending, but I now believe this is not the case.

And that’s it for now. I will wrap up this post once I get the actual BRP in the post.

In the meantime, if any of you has any doubts or queries about the ILR to BRP application or process, let me know and I will try to help where I can.

JimJam.
Hi Jimjams1919 ,
Congratulations for getting BRP.
-When you had submitted NTL application?
-BRP is valid for how many years now?
-Is BRP number is same as your previous ILR number?
Please advise.
Regards,
Raj

Jimjams1919
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Jimjams1919 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:16 pm

Update: I received my BRP today via DX Delivery. (Re-arranged from Wednesday), and the official Home Office Letter yesterday.

So, from submission of the application to receipt of the official letter and the BRP itself took less than a week, but this was through the Super Priority Service.

And to answer Raj’s queries above:
- No, the ILR and BRP numbers are different.
- BRP expires Dec-2024; I believe this is to do with EU security standards. Who knows what will happen after Brexit, but regardless of that the BRP will need to be renewed come 2024 for a lot of people I reckon.

JimJam.

Jimjams1919
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by Jimjams1919 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Clarification: I submitted the application on 8-Jan-20, and the UKVCAS appointment was on the 18-Jan-20 (when the supporting documents were submitted and my biometrics taken). HO letter received yesterday and BRP today 24-Jan-20.

JimJam