ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship invitation typo on Place of Birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ScoobyLondon

Citizenship invitation typo on Place of Birth

Post by ScoobyLondon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:54 am

My wife received her Citizenship approval letter but unfortunately there is a small typo in the Place of Birth, an extra 'h'.

I checked her post-ILR BRP and the previous one and both BRPs have the same typo. I never noticed it before.
I checked my previous copies of the application and they were all correct, so not my fault.

That said, what's the best way to correct the typo? The Place of Birth is shown correctly on my wife's Pakistani passport.

As I understand, I have two options:

1) correct the typo on the Citizenship invitation
How do I do this and how long does the process take?

2) attend the Citizenship ceremony (as advised in the Home Office letter) and correct Citizenship Certificate.
Again, how long is the process likely to take?
Going down this route will mean returning the BRP within 5 days and we'll looking to travel first week of Feb.

3) Proceed with British passport application after attending ceremony and then correct.
Not sure how best to do this and the likely timelines? Is this possible or does the HO strictly adhere to the Citizenship Certificate?

thanks

ScoobyLondon

Re: Citizenship invitation typo on Place of Birth

Post by ScoobyLondon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Can someone pls offer some advice.

We have a potential ceremony due in 2 days and need to decide tomorrow if my wife should attend or if we should go down another route.

Thanks in advance

Morningstar1983
Newly Registered

Post by Morningstar1983 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm

I would personally proceed with the passport application and make sure to attach a cover letter to explain the error and provide the documentation to support your case. This might save you time as you might have to wait for weeks if you decide to ask the HO to correct the certificate.

Cheers

ScoobyLondon

Post by ScoobyLondon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Wow, I didn’t know I could do that.

Once we get the British passport, does the typo on the Naturalisation Certificate matter, or is it surplus to requirements as the passport is the travel documentation?

That’s really good news to hear, really didn’t know that was possible.

Is this likely to take much time?

Thanks

ScoobyLondon

Post by ScoobyLondon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:28 am

After everything I've read on here, I don't think its as simple as writing a covering letter with the passport application.

Mods - could you pls advise.

ScoobyLondon

Post by ScoobyLondon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Ok, last word on this.

I rang the Home Office and they advised to change the typo after attending the Citizenship ceremony.

As it happens, the ceremony is tomorrow!

So we'll fill in Form RR (by post) and send a copy of the passport showing the correct Place of Birth.

Just two queries:

1) should I send a copy of the passport first-page only or all 32-odd pages of the passport?

2) since Home Office responses are sent second-class, is it advisable to send a stamped-address envelope to ensure a swift response? If so, what size envelope should I include, letter, A5 or A4?

thanks