ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP PLEASE! Royal Mail Redirection / postal correspondence issue

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MrsJalebi
Newly Registered

HELP PLEASE! Royal Mail Redirection / postal correspondence issue

Post by MrsJalebi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am

A bit of advice please, on behalf of my SIL who's applied for her ILR via the 5 year spouse visa in Aug 2019.

In July 2018, my SIL moved homes but didn't change her address on any of her paperwork. The Home Office have responded to her application and are asking for 6x postal letters addressed specifically to the new address from Aug 2018-2019. All of her post was redirected via the Royal Mail Redirection service. Do you think the redirection letter would be accepted as a valid reason? She can still provide 6x letters just not at the new address!

I'd just like to point out that as they had the 6 postal correspondence letters covering the period since her previous renewal, they didn't anticipate it to a problem. Unfortunately, they didn't realise the home office was going to specifically ask for another 6 letters covering the new address.

Also, my SIL, brother and nephew all live with my husband and I permanently free of charge. We have ample accommodation and provided all the necessary paperwork to prove this. They have an entire floor to themselves that consist of 2x larger than double bedrooms, own bathroom, own landing and storage area.

However, as my husband and I pay for all the bills, everything is naturally in our name. Now, I'm worried that might cause a problem. Do you think an accompanying letter should be provided from us just reiterating that the bills etc are paid for by us hence why it's not in their name?

Any advice would be appreciated, esp as she has until tomorrow to reply! Thank you so much.

zimba
Mood:

Re: HELP PLEASE! Royal Mail Redirection / postal correspondence issue

Post by zimba » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:45 pm

They should simply show they live together at the same address in the last two years and for that they need documentary proof.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

MrsJalebi
Newly Registered

Post by MrsJalebi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Zimba wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:45 pm
They should simply show they live together at the same address in the last two years and for that they need documentary proof.
Thank you for replying.

I can confirm that HAS been done, however the HO have contacted her again and asked for another 6 letters at their current new address.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Why did she not change her address on the post? Any particular reason?

Also, where did husband’s post arrive? New address or same redirection for husband also?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MrsJalebi
Newly Registered

Post by MrsJalebi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Also, where did husband’s post arrive? New address or same redirection for husband also?
Honestly, I think it was pure laziness because they had the redirection set up. They didn't think it would affect the visa case as they had the 6 letters covering the requirement since the last renewal. Now the HO have requested it specifically for the new address, she's worried.

Both of their post was being redirected from the old house to new home. Basically my SIL/brother lived with my parents. My parents sold their 20yr family home and my SIL/brother moved in with us. Due to how long my parents had their previous home,they set up a redirection for the entire family including my siblings who've moved out just to make sure that we all got our letters.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:45 pm

MrsJalebi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Honestly, I think it was pure laziness because they had the redirection set up. They didn't think it would affect the visa case as they had the 6 letters covering the requirement since the last renewal. Now the HO have requested it specifically for the new address, she's worried.

Both of their post was being redirected from the old house to new home. Basically my SIL/brother lived with my parents. My parents sold their 20yr family home and my SIL/brother moved in with us. Due to how long my parents had their previous home,they set up a redirection for the entire family including my siblings who've moved out just to make sure that we all got our letters.

If both the husband’s and wife’s post is at the same old address but redirected to the same new address, the best you can do is write a cover letter and explain the situation to HO. Also attach the redirection evidence for both the husband and wife. You really do not have any other option rather than hope that HO accepts this explanation.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 pm

MrsJalebi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Are they registered to vote at the new address? Home address is important as a means of identity and also for fraud prevention. As a minimum, they should have changed their address with the bank and register to be on the electoral roll at the new address. Plus if they have drivers' licence it is mandatory that they update DVLA. If they are working, the HMRC also needs to be updated. It would appear that the caseworker is not satisfied as to why they cannot provide recent proof of address. And to be honest, it will be hard for anyone to understand why they don't have anything in their name at the new address for more than 1 year. No even a letter from their mobile phone contract? mail redirection is supposed to be used as a temporary solution while moving houses, it's not a permanent solution. so mail redirection is not an excuse for not updating home address on all important documents. It appears you might have to provide supporting documents and a cover letter to the HO confirming that they are living with you and hope that it will be accepted.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.