ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need proof of father Decendants Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amirabere
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Need proof of father Decendants Citizenship

Post by amirabere » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:20 am

Hello,
I am applying for my UK citizenship by decent. My father was born in the UK and moved to Canada and started a family. On my required documents it asks me to submit a document proving that my father is my biological father. However, I don't have any documents with both of our names on it. My birth certificate does not say my parents names on it. Any suggestions on what I should send for documents without having to go to the court to prove we are related? How would I even prove we are related to the court?

secret.simon

Re: Need proof of father Decendants Citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:48 am

On a point of interest, where was your birth registered? it is pretty rare for a birth certificate to not state the name of a parent.

If your father is not named on your birth certificate, you will need DNA paternity test done by a Home Office recognised test centre.

Also, if you were born before 2007, you would only be able to claim British citizenship through your father automatically if your parents were married.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

amirabere
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by amirabere » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 pm

I was Born in Alberta, Canada in 1997. My parents were married before my birth, so I did photo copy their marriage certificate. But our birth certificates do not state who our parents are.

inzogbiya

Post by inzogbiya » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:38 am

Alberta (and Canada generally) has a few versions of birth certificates. There's the short form which contains personal information only and that's the one I suspect you have. If you request the long form, it will contain parentage details.

amirabere
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by amirabere » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:39 am

The only problem with getting a long form of my birth certificate is that it would not be issued 12 months from my birthdate. It would be dated as 2019. This is the quote from the documents checklist

"the applicant's birth certificate, if Miss xxxxx biological father was named as their father
on a birth certificate issued within 12 month of their birth"

is there any way around this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:55 pm

The long birth certificate will be as per the details recorded in the birth register at the time you were born which will have both your parents name. You are merely requesting a long birth certificate of this record or request a certified copy or extract of the broth register.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.