ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for Freelance Photographer/ Photojournalist

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ar1988
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Visa for Freelance Photographer/ Photojournalist

Post by ar1988 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi, I’m a Bangladeshi born freelance photographer/photojournalist based in Boston on O1 visa working as a freelance Photojournalist. I want to come and shoot during Download festival and Bloodstock festival next year. I freelance mostly for Redux Pictures(USA) and Nur Photo Agency(Italy).

I was wondering what would be the appropriate visa category for me and can I apply from USA or do I have to apply from Bangladesh?

Thanks

The Station Agent

Re: Visa for Freelance Photographer/ Photojournalist

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:03 pm

You can apply in your country of residence (USA), assuming your O1 is still valid.

I would think a business visit visa would cover it if you're covering the event for an overseas news agency.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 am

ar1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 pm
I was wondering what would be the appropriate visa category for me
There isn't one. The nearest would be this one, but it needs to be sponsored by a Tier 5 license holding employer:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-temporary-wor ... rting-visa
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:04 am

Taking photos of an event for an overseas news agency would not warrant a Tier 5 creative and sporting visa, and to be quite honest I doubt you need that. The visitor rules allow for journalists and cameramen to cover UK events for overseas publications, as long as they're short term. I suggest you provide a supporting letter from one of the agencies to support your application. The letter should mention the event(s) you are covering (explaining - don't assume the visa officers know what these festivals are), that you are based in the US and will return there, and that you are paid in the US by this company for covering this event / these events.

I believe it can be covered as business, not counted as UK work.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:50 am

To do it as a Standard Visitor, the Entry Clearance Officer would need to be satisfied that it comes under one of the provisions of Appendix 3 "Permitted activities for all visitors":

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... itor-rules

it doesn't specifically cover freelance agency photographers by name, but the sub-heading "Business - overseas roles requiring specific activities in the UK" includes something similar

(e) a journalist, correspondent, producer or cameraman gathering information for an overseas publication, programme or film
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.