ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Re: Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Post by Fly2Bharat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi
I know there are many people on this thread that have gained entry to India without renewing their oci for their minors, but there's always that worry.

I'm in that situation, with my 13 & 14 year old boys. I will be flying out on 11th December with Emirates airlines to Mumbia from Stansted Airport.

Has anyone had any recent experience with Emirates, as I've just read an article about a refusal to board a flight in Australia.
I can't even being to imagine the hassle and the cost of going through that :shock:

Would really appreciate if someone can give their recent account of events please.
Otherwise I will have to apply for visa, as I don't have long now.

txs89378
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by txs89378 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:49 pm

What I don't understand is the logic is enforcing this reissue. To think of it, when an OCI holder enters India, the passport number is recorded on entry and a picture is taken. That database is then updated when the passport number is changed. BOI has all the details on passport change and always takes a picture on entry. Why are we then being forced to reissue an OCI? A lifelong visa should be a lifelong visa.

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm

redjet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am
Me too travelling end of December with minor son's new passport and old OCI card. Even we didn't have any problems earlier but then I see a new circular sent out towards end of October (I saw ones from UK and Australian high commissions) repeating the new OCI card with new passport for minors requirement.

Any recent experiences (November 2019) would be helpful.

However, I am preparing the documentation if I could be lucky to sail through before end of December.
Replying to my earlier comment, finally I had to bite the bullet and apply for my kid's OCI renewal, a walk-in @ Hounslow UK. Awaiting the OCI by end of next week. As the above poster said, it is that "worry" that I wanted to avoid and have a peaceful travel.

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:10 pm

txs89378 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:49 pm
What I don't understand is the logic is enforcing this reissue. To think of it, when an OCI holder enters India, the passport number is recorded on entry and a picture is taken. That database is then updated when the passport number is changed. BOI has all the details on passport change and always takes a picture on entry. Why are we then being forced to reissue an OCI? A lifelong visa should be a lifelong visa.
One reason I could think of is it keeps the cash counters ticking for agencies involved. Why would they bother to change the system when cash keeps flowing in.

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 am

Its very clear why this has been done...... money money money :evil: ....
India has never worked on logic!

It's only a matter of time before the rules will change again........
All OCI's have to match your current passport numbers regardless of age!

Here I was thinking I was very smart obtaining an OCI for the whole family, to avoid this headache and after 1 travel on that OCI I'm having to go through all this again :roll:

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:38 am

redjet wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm
redjet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am
Me too travelling end of December with minor son's new passport and old OCI card. Even we didn't have any problems earlier but then I see a new circular sent out towards end of October (I saw ones from UK and Australian high commissions) repeating the new OCI card with new passport for minors requirement.

Any recent experiences (November 2019) would be helpful.

However, I am preparing the documentation if I could be lucky to sail through before end of December.
Replying to my earlier comment, finally I had to bite the bullet and apply for my kid's OCI renewal, a walk-in @ Hounslow UK. Awaiting the OCI by end of next week. As the above poster said, it is that "worry" that I wanted to avoid and have a peaceful travel.
Oh by the way, my OCI misc status updated as "Received in London" yesterday, so that is 5 working days (15 Nov to 21 Nov 2019) processing time as usually seen with others. So in theory, if I would've gone today (22nd Nov) to submit the passport/courier envelope/printed status letter, I would've received the passport by mid-next week (so total processing time of around 9 to 10 working days).

I will update the timeline in the sticky thread soon so it will help others.

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:11 pm

@redjet Thanks for update.

It's very disappointing to know that many people come on here for advised and desperately requesting help. Yet very few comeback to give feedback of their journey, or what they decided to do.
If you want help and advise then start by giving help! :x
Anyway rant over :D

I have decided go though the tedious OCI miscellaneous service application.
I have clearly left this too late and will be risking the whole trip if it does not arrive in time.
We had to weight up which is the bigger risk...... re-issued OCI not arriving in time or my children being denied boarding :(

Another option was to apply for an Evisa but that is not possible if you are an OCI holder.

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread hoping someone has completed their trip to India with Emirates very recently.

abhay10001
Newly Registered

Post by abhay10001 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:38 pm

apply for oci. you will get in 10-12 days

or can also apply for evisa

manishsd
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by manishsd » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 pm

I was told that you can apply for E-Visa even if you have OCI as a temporary means to travel. You can apply for OCI Re-Issue for your children after the travel is completed. Is that not right?

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pm

What an absolute waste of time and energy, not to mention the huge about of stress we have just been through in the past 3 days.

After deciding to attempt to renew the oci for my children, I have been going though the application and getting all the paper work together over the weekend. After reading on official websites and on forums I was lead to believable we should get it all done in 7-10 working days.

To my disbelief I was rejected by Leicester VFS Global center today for my walk-in submission. Apparently the oci walk-in submission is only for over 65's. That's the 1st I've heard about it, but the staff was insistent that is the rule. I was told I can't even apply of an evisa as we have oci cards so they need to cancelled 1st before applying. So basically get lost and deal with it. Yes I know many reading this will think it's my fault for doing it at the last min but these things happen. Now I have no option but to try my luck. Let's see what happens Now!

1 thing is for sure if we do get through and return or not I will be processing to cancel the OCI I see no advantage of having them, if you're under 20. Evisa is easly avaible, it's cheap and quick, most importantly all online.

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Fly2Bharat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pm
What an absolute waste of time and energy, not to mention the huge about of stress we have just been through in the past 3 days.

After deciding to attempt to renew the oci for my children, I have been going though the application and getting all the paper work together over the weekend. After reading on official websites and on forums I was lead to believable we should get it all done in 7-10 working days.

To my disbelief I was rejected by Leicester VFS Global center today for my walk-in submission. Apparently the oci walk-in submission is only for over 65's. That's the 1st I've heard about it, but the staff was insistent that is the rule. I was told I can't even apply of an evisa as we have oci cards so they need to cancelled 1st before applying. So basically get lost and deal with it. Yes I know many reading this will think it's my fault for doing it at the last min but these things happen. Now I have no option but to try my luck. Let's see what happens Now!

1 thing is for sure if we do get through and return or not I will be processing to cancel the OCI I see no advantage of having them, if you're under 20. Evisa is easly avaible, it's cheap and quick, most importantly all online.
sorry to read you had a bad experience. It seems only a few centres (like Hounslow one) allow walk-ins. Good luck with your travel!

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:00 pm

You ses this is the problems, it seems..... Why can the public not be given clear information? Why does this procedure have to be so cumbersom and stressfull?

There's so many easy improvements that can be made which can make the people's life so much easier. Just another system that proves how far behind the Indian system is.

I was hoping to create a fresh thread explaining all the details of how to apply for a renewal or re-issuance of a minor OCI. I guess I can't do that now, but anyone reading this please do update your experience and try to provide as much details as possible no matter how small it may be. You just don't know who you will be helping.

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Fly2Bharat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:00 pm
You ses this is the problems, it seems..... Why can the public not be given clear information? Why does this procedure have to be so cumbersom and stressfull?

There's so many easy improvements that can be made which can make the people's life so much easier. Just another system that proves how far behind the Indian system is.

I was hoping to create a fresh thread explaining all the details of how to apply for a renewal or re-issuance of a minor OCI. I guess I can't do that now, but anyone reading this please do update your experience and try to provide as much details as possible no matter how small it may be. You just don't know who you will be helping.
We all know there are shortcomings in the system. That is the main reason why we have to discuss with unknown people to help each other on this forum. I see you are very agitated and I can understand it is due to the experience you had today. But that doesn't give an automatic right to pick on another member's choice of words. I didn't want to sound rude to say "You didn't search the forum properly" hence the choice of word "seems".

The fact is in multiple posts on this forum it is mentioned by various members that only Hounslow and Goswell road offices give walk-in appointments. In fact I came know about this due to these posts. When we are dealing with such a system, it's up to us to research (at least search the forum with right words and read as many posts as you can) and not blame others for not providing enough information (when in fact there is). Good luck with your trip!

For me I will continue to post helpful information for members and not get worked by some rant due to one unpleasant experience. I am grateful to many other members due to which I was able to successfully submit my application.

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Dear redjet I'm sorry it felt like I was having a go at you but that was not my intention. By no means did I mean any disrespect to you. If I have come across like that then I would like to apologise.

What I was trying to explain was that the information provided by VSF Global and the High Commission is poor and very vage. There is no clear instructions, but many contridictions which leads to confusion and panic.

The people that come to forums and take their time to write on here have no responsibility to do so and do it to help, which is great, and I respect them for that. Hence why I wanted to create another thread with detailed explanation with pictures, but I won't be able to do that now.
It seems like you have to be working for them with years of experience to be absolutely sure of the regulations.

Regarding reading the forums, trust me that's all I have been doing all weekend. Wel done for knowing what to type to find the information, maybe not everyone has the skills that you possess.

Also this is not my 1st unpleasant experience, my previous was in 2013 when I did the application for OCI for the family. Anyway there is no point going back and forth with this "rant" as it does not contain any usefull information.

My next post will be if we managed to reach India or if I've wasted thousands of pounds.

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:14 pm

No problem. It is just a mind game by departments involved to generate revenue. You will be fine. All the best and enjoy your trip.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:20 am

I am the OP for this thread. Very sorry for not getting back.

I can now share my experience - we flew with Air India to Ahmedabad in Dec 2018. For my child, I carried both new and old(cancelled) UK passports. The old passport had the OCI U visa sticker.

There were no questions asked at the Air India check-in desk at Heathrow.

Landing at Ahmedabad was late night / early morning, so few arrivals at that time. The immigration officers looked like the juniors doing the night duty, I handed over both old & new passports & oci for my son and again no questions were asked and new passport was stamped with the arrival stamp.

There were no problems either when we left India at the end of the trip.

However, I am going again in Dec now and I still haven't managed to get the "OCI re-issued" for my son. There are various screenshots of a memo issued by HCI London doing rounds on whatsapp groups.

I am worried now, but again I don't have time to apply for the new OCI. I am going my emirates this time, so all the more reason to worry as someone reported that emirates are denying check-in. The only thread I could find for emirates in this matter is from 2013:
third party weblink removed by moderator
But, the family were denied boarding as they were not carrying old passports which had the visa sticker.

I am planning to apply for e-visa for my son now. Anyone else in the same boat, who is applying for the e-visa. May be we can share our experiences.

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:44 am

Hi @need_a_tier1

Thanks for your update, unfortunately that experience was back in December 2018. Nevertheless your feedback and experience is very much appreciated, and helpful.

I have been considering applying for an eVisa, but I was told it's not possible to do so, as the children are OCI holders. The OCI would have to be cancelled 1st then an eVisa applied for.

If you do some how successfully obtain an eVisa for your children please please inform me as I will also try my luck.

All the best. :)

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 am

thanks, where did you get this information from?

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 am

From the stuff member at VFS Global Leicester.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Yes, conflicting information. Spoke to various people at HCI London & VFS UK, and conflicting information each time.

Everyone I spoke to gave different information than the previous person.

This is what I have been told -

- No regular visa or e-visa can be issued to the active OCI card holder. So do not submit a regular visa or e-visa application, it will be rejected straightway .
- You can submit a regular visa application to VFS with an application explaining the situation that there is no time for OCI renewal. The HCI might consider this and grant a visa.
- In case the HCI issues a regular visa, that will no effect on the OCI or the OCI visa.
- In case the HCI issues a regular visa, they will 'temporarily' cancel the OCI. On your return, to the UK you can just use the £21 OCI Misc service to transfer the OCI to new passport. The temporary cancellation will have no effect on OCI re-issue Misc application on your return to UK.
- In case the HCI issues a regular visa, they will 'permanently' cancel the OCI. On your return, to the UK you will have to make a fresh OCI application.

My brain is completely fried now and I really don't know what to do.

Moreover, I tried starting the e-visa and regular paper visa applications online and both applications and more or less similar in the questions they ask. Both applications, ask the question "if you have visited India before" and if you answer yes then have to provide your expired/current Indian visa type, number and expiry date. Now you have to pick the visa type from a drop down menu and there is no option to choose OCI.

So, selecting "No" to "if you have visited India before" is like giving wrong information.
selecting any other visa type like 'tourist' or 'visit' is like giving wrong information.

But, shockingly both HCI & VFS have given wrong information and conflicting information:
- You can answer No to "if you have visited India before".
- You can answer Yes to "if you have visited India before" but in visa type select "tourist" and write your OCI number
- You can answer Yes to "if you have visited India before" but in visa type write N/A and write 000000 in visa number. (this was not possible as there is no option to write anything in visa type, but have to select from a drop-down menu)

So, basically no one at either the HCI or VFS knows what to do - everyone has their own understanding and just keeps giving wrong information.

I am really not sure what to do now.

- If I apply for OCI misc service, the application may not complete in time.
- If I apply for e-visa or regular paper visa, I may have to give incorrect answers to the questions I mentioned above.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Can someone guide me please,

I need to travel on 15th Dec and my 12 year old son has OCI linked to old UK passport. We don't have enough time to get the OCI re-issued to his new UK passport.

Last year, In Dec 2018 we travelled to India with the new & old passport and OCI booklet and were not asked any questions.

However, it appears that this time are rules are much more strict and there is chance of airlines denying boarding or Indian immigration may deny entry after landing in India.

If I apply for an e-visa or regular paper visa then I may have to falsify some information on the online application forms as both e-visa and regulat visa forms ask for current or previous Indian visa details and ask "if you have visited India before" . If I say no, then it will be incorrect. If I say yes, then I don't have any option to put OCI details there and OCI visa is not listed in the drop down menu. I can select Tourist visa or Visit visa but that will not be right.

I am thinking of getting a walk-in appointment and applying for OCI re-issue Misc service, if I get it in time then its fine, otherwise if it is getting late I will try my luck and travel without the OCI re-issue and will go for the second visit to VFS only after I come back to UK in january.

Can anyone suggest?

USA2001
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by USA2001 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Hello,

I am in the same situation. My daughter has got a passport renewed recently and has OCI linked to Old passport. I emailed to NY and Chicago embassy and they replied either apply for an emergency visa or a regular visa. I have applied E-visa mentioning that she visited India on visit visa and OCI visa number. not sure if I will get it or not.
Though I have got all conflicting information when one person at the embassy told me that there is no issue if you are carrying an old passport along with a new passport with OCI card. but other Visa officer told me, You must need the visa to travel to India.

I connected with the immigration office at Delhi airport through my friend. The immigration officer told there is no issue to enter India if you have an old passport along with you.

it seems like all these issues are created by Qatar airline when they didn't issue the boarding pass if you do not have a new OCI. whereas Air India refused boarding pass in the US because the passenger was not carrying the old passport.

I am at damn risk now as my travel is just in 40 hours. I am at the mercy of EVisa or airline staff.

I don't know why the Indian embassy says OCI is with lifelong validity if it requires renewal with the passport. if it requires renewal then it must have expiry dates.

Fly2Bharat
Newly Registered

Post by Fly2Bharat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:43 pm

need_a_tier1 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm
Yes, conflicting information. Spoke to various people at HCI London & VFS UK, and conflicting information each time.

Everyone I spoke to gave different information than the previous person.

This is what I have been told -

- No regular visa or e-visa can be issued to the active OCI card holder. So do not submit a regular visa or e-visa application, it will be rejected straightway .
- You can submit a regular visa application to VFS with an application explaining the situation that there is no time for OCI renewal. The HCI might consider this and grant a visa.
- In case the HCI issues a regular visa, that will no effect on the OCI or the OCI visa.
- In case the HCI issues a regular visa, they will 'temporarily' cancel the OCI. On your return, to the UK you can just use the £21 OCI Misc service to transfer the OCI to new passport. The temporary cancellation will have no effect on OCI re-issue Misc application on your return to UK.
- In case the HCI issues a regular visa, they will 'permanently' cancel the OCI. On your return, to the UK you will have to make a fresh OCI application.

My brain is completely fried now and I really don't know what to do.

Moreover, I tried starting the e-visa and regular paper visa applications online and both applications and more or less similar in the questions they ask. Both applications, ask the question "if you have visited India before" and if you answer yes then have to provide your expired/current Indian visa type, number and expiry date. Now you have to pick the visa type from a drop down menu and there is no option to choose OCI.

So, selecting "No" to "if you have visited India before" is like giving wrong information.
selecting any other visa type like 'tourist' or 'visit' is like giving wrong information.

But, shockingly both HCI & VFS have given wrong information and conflicting information:
- You can answer No to "if you have visited India before".
- You can answer Yes to "if you have visited India before" but in visa type select "tourist" and write your OCI number
- You can answer Yes to "if you have visited India before" but in visa type write N/A and write 000000 in visa number. (this was not possible as there is no option to write anything in visa type, but have to select from a drop-down menu)

So, basically no one at either the HCI or VFS knows what to do - everyone has their own understanding and just keeps giving wrong information.

I am really not sure what to do now.

- If I apply for OCI misc service, the application may not complete in time.
- If I apply for e-visa or regular paper visa, I may have to give incorrect answers to the questions I mentioned above.
I can really understand how to feel as I am in a similar situation.
This is what I was trying to explain earlier in the thread, why are we the public expected to be searching all over the net looking for the correct information. The authorities don't know what the regulations are, and provide conflicting explanations. I feel like it will be at the discretion of the airline staff if you will be allowed to be boarded and the immigration stuff at the ports of India for entry. For all those who have more than 3 weeks I would say they should renew, if it arrives in 10 working days its a bonus. Anything less then that time its better to risk it with the airline. I know one thing for sure I will be cancelling my children's OCI as soon as I can.
Please keep us updated with your experience, I hope everything goes well for you.

abhay10001
Newly Registered

Post by abhay10001 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Apply for OCI renewal.

westcoast984
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by westcoast984 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:02 am

We got our OCI cards almost a decade ago and have been traveling with no issues. The latest trip was in January this year. Never had any issues. We actually got the U visa sticker as well which says it has lifelong validity so I had no idea that this even had to be renewed. Around November I saw the advisory and heard about some people being denied boarding. I called CKG and heard different things from different people. Some said get e-visa, some said it's ok to travel but renew when you get back, and one said to start the renewal process and that it's fine to travel with old OCI provided renewal is in process. So I tried to get our OCI renewed. I filled the government application but when I went CKG to submit it they wanted a crazy list of documents. I went ahead and got those but then they told me that now the applicant has to submit the old OCI card as well. They said process to get new OCI can take up to 60 days. I looked into e-visa but that asks me my Visa details, expiry, etc. Then on one Indian conslate website it says if you must travel just carry acknowledgement of renewal, old passport, new passport, and OCI. I only have a week at this point so I plan to travel with those 4 documents and renew it when I get back. This whole thing has been very confusing for us. I don't know why something that hasn't been an issue for many years is suddenly a huge issue.