ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to non EU Country

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

splinter
Newly Registered

Travelling to non EU Country

Post by splinter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi

I am going to travel outside of the EU with my EEA Citizen wife. I have been granted with a pre-settled here in the UK and I have valid BRP. I would like to know:

1) What documents do we need to carry when we will be returning to the UK?
2) Do they ask any sort of questions on return?
3) As I don't have an EU passport but I will be travelling with my wife and she has an EU passport do I need to go EU immigration desk on return? Thanks

kamoe

Re: Travelling to non EU Country

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:19 pm

splinter wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm
Your passport and your BRP.
How long have you been away, who is your EU family member and if not with you, where are they. That's pretty much it.
3) As I don't have an EU passport but I will be travelling with my wife and she has an EU passport do I need to go EU immigration desk on return? Thanks
Depends on the airport.

Heathrow does instruct non-EU family members to join the EU family queue (where all the EU families with children who cannot use eGates go); but Birmingham does not work like this, and require all non-EU to join the international queue, regardless of their family ties. They are even very abusive in their language, and if you mistakenly join the EU queue you will be treated very harshly. Best is to ask an official before you join any queue.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Your passport and valid BRC.
From the experience of my friends they ask the nationality of your sponsor most of the time and who the person is to you. I was asked the same when was crossing the border with EEA FP. I was also asked if my husband is already in UK. Then the lady commented that long distance relationship must have costed us a small fortune.
Seems like this depends per country and per airport. Sometimes per the team working. From what I heard\experienced, most of the times they are fine with you going to EU desks. But a friend of mine wasn't allowed to do that in one of the small airports.

On the other hand, German customs are even getting annoyed if you queue in non-EU line with EU BRPs\BRCs.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:28 pm

iwolga wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm
Seems like this depends per country and per airport. Sometimes per the team working. From what I heard\experienced, most of the times they are fine with you going to EU desks. But a friend of mine wasn't allowed to do that in one of the small airports.

On the other hand, German customs are even getting annoyed if you queue in non-EU line with EU BRPs\BRCs.
I believe the OP is asking about returning to the UK, not entering the EU.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:31 pm

but Birmingham does not work like this, and require all non-EU to join the international queue, regardless of their family ties. They are even very abusive in their language, and if you mistakenly join the EU queue you will be treated very harshly.
I'm traveling through Birmingham myself for the last year. Truth is, most of the times non-EU desks are much more empty than EU ones. I've never been waiting for more than 10 min, so I guess in the case of this particular airport it doesn't matter.

Heathrow (especially terminal 4) is a living hell for non-EU, yes. Was queuing there for 2 hours a couple of times

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:32 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:28 pm
iwolga wrote:

I believe the OP is asking about returning to the UK, not entering the EU.
I understand. What I meant to say is that rules are different and seem to be depending on a lot of things.

splinter
Newly Registered

Post by splinter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:34 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:19 pm
splinter wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm
Your passport and your BRP.
How long have you been away, who is your EU family member and if not with you, where are they. That's pretty much it.
Depends on the airport.

Heathrow does instruct non-EU family members to join the EU family queue (where all the EU families with children who cannot use eGates go); but Birmingham does not work like this, and require all non-EU to join the international queue, regardless of their family ties. They are even very abusive in their language, and if you mistakenly join the EU queue you will be treated very harshly. Best is to ask an official before you join any queue.

Thank you very much for your help.

splinter
Newly Registered

Post by splinter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 pm

iwolga wrote:
Your passport and valid BRC.
From the experience of my friends they ask the nationality of your sponsor most of the time and who the person is to you. I was asked the same when was crossing the border with EEA FP. I was also asked if my husband is already in UK. Then the lady commented that long distance relationship must have costed us a small fortune.

Thank you very much for valuable comments. Do they also ask anything when you leave the country and approximately how many days you are allowed to stay out of the country when you have been granted with a pre-settled status? Thanks

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Do they also ask anything when you leave the country and approximately how many days you are allowed to stay out of the country when you have been granted with a pre-settled status? Thanks
There's no immigration control when you exit UK, so you won't have a chat with anyone at the exit from UK. Well, I mean no immigration officers or desks, I assume they still control things :)

In Heathrow they sometimes check your passport, but most of the times they do it on a random basis. I was never stopped, but from what I saw people were just showing their passports and that was it.

I don't know the exact answer re days out that are allowed. Are you planning to be out for long? I somehow assumed that there's no limit as long as you are considered a UK resident. But perhaps someone more experienced can comment on the consequences.

I think you worry too much about things. You have your card and passport (lucky you! I seriously envy it) and you are a free man to travel :) Just enjoy it

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by ibwe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:22 am

I was about to say the same thing! Too worried!

There is nothing to worry, since you have proper documents. If they ask you anything, it is to make sure that every thing is okay.

Enjoy your trip!