ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

child born in the UK after ilr

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RAJ007
India

child born in the UK after ilr

Post by RAJ007 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 pm
If born AFTER you got ilr, then child is automatically British and can apply for passport directly.
Hi CR001,

Apologize for posting in the same thread as my queries is related to same thread.

I am also in the same situation as I have my ILR.

My kid is born after I got my ILR. So based on your comments, I can apply for British Passport for my kid.

Once I get my British Citizen, will my kid have any problem during the re-issue of the British Passport,
As the British Passport for my kid will be based on my ILR ?

Also anything I should be aware off, before I apply for the British Passport for my kid ?

Please advice me on this.

Regards,
RAJ

alterhase58
Germany

Re: child born in the UK after ilr

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:48 pm

As the kids are automatically British there is nothing that changes in kids' citizenship or passport when you obtain your citizenship. Passports are only issued to British citizens - it is not relevant under which route they became British.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 am

RAJ007 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 pm
Once I get my British Citizen, will my kid have any problem during the re-issue of the British Passport,
As the British Passport for my kid will be based on my ILR ?
Your child should retain proof of your ILR (your BRP) at the time of their birth as that would be the basis of their citizenship.
RAJ007 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 pm
A British passport is only prima facie proof of British citizenship, not definitive proof and the child can be asked for proof of British citizenship at some time in the future. It has happened to children of EU citizens in the UK whose parents' proof of PR before the birth of the child was not very clear.

As mentioned above, you would be better off retaining proof of your ILR at the time of the child's birth.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:12 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

RAJ007
India

Post by RAJ007 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:16 am

Hi secret.simon and Vinny,

Thanks for your reply.

I got my ILR on Tier2 route and My wife got her first dependent visa when I was on Tier2.

Last year my wife extended her dependent visa when I was on ILR.

So based on that, Home Office do know everything about that person and keep all the electronic document copies when the person make the application for the future reference.

Could you please help me with below queries and If my understanding is right on this;

.1. So If my kid apply for the British Passport when I am on ILR. And later when I have my British Citizen,
My kid should not have any difficulties in re-issuing of the passport or when getting British Citizen ?

.2. I am still under impression that only British Citizen can get the British passport and once you have the passport you don't need to go through any other process to get the British Citizen. ?

.3. I can still get the copies certified of my current Passport and ILR Brp Card from Post Office to use it in future to be on safe side.?

.4. Also I have a doubt that you can retain the ILR card once you get the British Citizenship as its not permitted by Home Office. ?

Thanks and Regards,
Raj