ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

a belgian citizen can travel with his wife ith F card to uk

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kashi1976
Newly Registered
Belgium

a belgian citizen can travel with his wife ith F card to uk

Post by kashi1976 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:48 pm

i àm elgian citizens and my 3 kids also belgian. but my wife living in blgium with F card but she is non eu. cqn she travel to uk with us. thanks

kamoe

Re: a belgian citizen can travel with his wife ith F card to uk

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 pm

What is her nationality?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:28 pm

The F-Card seems to be issued under domestic Belgian legislation and hence does not confer any automatic ability for freedom of movement within the EU (though it may within Schengen).

Assuming that you are planning to travel as a family to the UK and travelling by Eurostar or other land or sea surface trabsport, she can get a stamp at the border allowing her entry to the UK provided that she can prove that she is the family member of an EEA citizen (your marriage certificate) and that she is accompanying you.

Be aware that there may a significant delay of a few hours while such a claim is being processed and that you may miss your Eurostar train/ferry and plan accordingly.
The British Embassy Brussels' advice for a GREAT holiday in the UK wrote: I am not a Belgian National but I have a E or E+-Card for EU nationals or an F-Card for non-EU nationals. Can I travel to the UK?

When you arrive in Belgium you are obliged to register at your local commune, and by doing so you will be issued with a Belgian Residence Card. This card is not a valid travel document and you should not attempt to use it as one.

To enter the UK you will need to be in the possession of a valid travel document from your home country and to apply for a visa if necessary.

Do I need a visa ?

Whether or not you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK depends on your nationality and the reason you want to travel to the UK.

You will not need a visa if you hold a passport issued by the UK or any other country in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

For more information or finding out if you need a visa, please consult this section as it provides a visa tool information from the UK Border Agency, an agency of the Home Office: Do you need a visa?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kashi1976
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by kashi1976 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:38 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 pm
What is her nationality?
pakistani

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:42 pm

kashi1976 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:38 pm
kamoe wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 pm
What is her nationality?
pakistani
Then based on your situation, she needs a Family Permit: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/paki ... ism/yes/no

As @secret.simon said, an F card is not an Article 10 card, and a such, your wife cannot use it to guarantee her entry into the UK.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kashi1976
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by kashi1976 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:36 pm

if my wife enter in uk with f card and after she get pre settle status in uk. it is possible she can renew her f card from belgium or from Embsay of belgium in.uk. or she cant renew. please advise me thnks

kashi1976
Newly Registered
Belgium

renew F card belgian non eu family resedent card in uk

Post by kashi1976 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:41 pm

hello . i want know about my situation. i am belgian citizen and my wife is non eu but have family resedent card call F card in belgium. if we move in uk then how can she renew her F card and where from mean from belgian town hall or from belgian embassy in uk if she regestred there . please advise me thanks

iwolga

Re: renew F card belgian non eu family resedent card in uk

Post by iwolga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:08 pm

kashi1976 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:41 pm
hello . i want know about my situation. i am belgian citizen and my wife is non eu but have family resedent card call F card in belgium. if we move in uk then how can she renew her F card and where from mean from belgian town hall or from belgian embassy in uk if she regestred there . please advise me thanks
Her F card confirms her rights to be in Belgium as long as her family member (you) is there, I don't see how can she extend this card once you relocate together with her to another country. Even permanent residency can be lost by someone who doesn't live in the country anymore.

F card - if I read it right - is a residency permit. Once there is no residency, there's no card

kamoe

Re: renew F card belgian non eu family resedent card in uk

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:37 pm

kashi1976 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:41 pm
I can only gather that the purpose of your trip is to relocate to the UK. Is that correct?

If that is the case, then you CANNOT renew the F card, which is only valid in Belgium and is of NO USE IN THE UK.
What you need is to obtain a Residence Card or Pre-Settled status for your wife
, which are the equivalent documentation of the Belgium F card in the UK.

But before you do any of the above, and to come to the UK for the first time, she'll need first a Family Permit.

kashi1976
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by kashi1976 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:53 pm

thanks kamoe for advising me. but if she dont take family permit to enter uk. and ahe get entry with me togeather then have any bad effect on her when.she applied for pre settled status. because i know wome family they have f card and she travel with husbans national of eu country they get entry in uk .

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm

kashi1976 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:53 pm
but if she dont take family permit to enter uk.
Is there any reason why you don't want to do the Family Permit? You have already been told twice this is the documentation she should be obtaining.

kashi1976
Newly Registered
Belgium

Post by kashi1976 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:07 pm

no not any big resion for not applying family permit. first i have dought maybe uk immegration refuse her permit. and second i have plane to go uk on this saturday or sunday. thats why i no have much time. i want try if she success to get entry without permit then ok otherwise after she stay here in belgium then she will apply permit i will go with my kids 3 to uk. becuase i rented a house alreday there. thanks

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm
kashi1976 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:53 pm
but if she dont take family permit to enter uk.
Is there any reason why you don't want to do the Family Permit? You have already been told twice this is the documentation she should be obtaining.
One reason would be the cost and effort of getting a family permit. For comparison, a French Schengen visa for the spouse of a British citizen in the UK is not exactly cost-free. It should be a trade-off against the inconvenience of waiting for a British Immigration Officer to decide to accept the marriage certificate.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:58 am

Richard W wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 am
One reason would be the cost and effort of getting a family permit.
A famiy permit is free, and unless you lead an extremely disorganized life, obtaining the required documentation is close to effortless.
For comparison, a French Schengen visa for the spouse of a British citizen in the UK is not exactly cost-free.
A family permit is a right for family members, and again, is free. Is far from being a fair and direct comparison of a Schengen visa, which is a permission, is given to tourists, and is costly.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 am

kashi1976 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:07 pm
i have plane to go uk on this saturday or sunday.
This is the one valid reason.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:57 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:58 am
Richard W wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 am
For comparison, a French Schengen visa for the spouse of a British citizen in the UK is not exactly cost-free.
A family permit is a right for family members, and again, is free. Is far from being a fair and direct comparison of a Schengen visa, which is a permission, is given to tourists, and is costly.
My understanding is that people in the south of the UK (e.g. Liverpool) have to travel to London to apply. That's not cost-free. Isn't avoiding the handling charge difficult? I thought the Schengen countries issued visas to family members, not a separate class of document.

The cost and inconvenience of applying for family permits for the UK in Spain was one of the justifications for the McCarthy case about residence cards being brought.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 am

Richard W wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:57 pm
My understanding is that people in the south of the UK (e.g. Liverpool) have to travel to London to apply.
You cannot apply for a Family Permit inside the UK, so I'm unsure what you want to refer here (but see my last paragraph on a general discussion of costs of Family Permits).
I thought the Schengen countries issued visas to family members, not a separate class of document.
Actually, while family members might be required to obtain a Schengen visa to visit their EU family member country, I believe the fees are waived. Hence why when talking about costly Schengen visas this for me always describe general, tourist, non-family visas.
The cost and inconvenience of applying for family permits for the UK in Spain was one of the justifications for the McCarthy case about residence cards being brought.
Of course, if the person does not reside in a capital city, or a city where the Family Permits are issued, there would be some costs associated. But it needs to be clear that these are not costs of fees themselves, and in many circumstances, actual costs are negligible.

But just to clarify for anyone reading, McCarthy describes a different case from the one discussed by the OP. McCarthy was a British/Irish national residing in Spain, while the OP is a Belgian national living in Belgium. This is why the OPs wife does NOT have an article 10 card (as McCarthy's wife had), only a domestic residence card, which officially does not exempt her from a Family Permit.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:56 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 am
Richard W wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:57 pm
My understanding is that people in the south of the UK (e.g. Liverpool) have to travel to London to apply.
You cannot apply for a Family Permit inside the UK, so I'm unsure what you want to refer here (but see my last paragraph on a general discussion of costs of Family Permits).
For comparison, I was talking about a French Schengen visa from London, for the third country spouse of a British citizen.