ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for passport abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ignition0
Newly Registered
Spain

Apply for passport abroad

Post by ignition0 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi all,

My wife has been granted citizenship but we had a trip planned abroad with a duration of a couple of months (I work remotely and currently as a posted worker).

Will it be a problem applying for the first passport abroad? Or is it recommended to do it within the UK?

Thanks,

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: Apply for passport abroad

Post by obormot » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:02 pm

It seems that you can do it, but you still have to send all current valid passports with your application, and it takes longer if you do it from abroad.
It looks like recently people were getting first passports from inside UK in 2-3 weeks, but they say in December it is typically longer.
If you only plan to travel for 2 month, you may consider:
- if your wife is EU (or in general non-visa national) she can just travel on her current passport and apply upon return
- if she is EU and your travel is inside EU she might apply and then travel using ID card
- she can postpone her citizenship ceremony until you come back (or ask for private ceremony to be done asap and apply immediately in hope it goes through before travel)

ignition0
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by ignition0 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:35 am

Thank you obormot, the issue is that her ceremony is 2 weeks before our trip, and we are worried precisely about being December.

If december is going to be more than 2 weeks then maybe we need to reconsider it.

She is not EU, but I though it was possible to apply for a 1st passport abroad?
So she returns the ILR after the citizenship and travel to Spain with her current passport (with a visa for that country). Then apply in Spain for her 1st British passport. Is that not possible?

I am a posted worker so living abroad for another 2~3 months.

Plotoder
India

Post by Plotoder » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:04 am

Please see http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 91324.html

HO has initiated process to revoke British Citizenship for a few people when applying for first adult passport outside UK. Avoid it if possible.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Why would not your wife apply for passport immediately after the ceremony, wait for it, and then join you in Spain after she gets it. It will be a matter of 2-3 weeks, I do not see the point to risk.
It seems there is no issue for her job, or for children school, etc. which could warrant urgent relocation at a fixed day...

ignition0
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by ignition0 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am

Thank you for the advice,

Its was only because we want to make sure we spent Christmas together, but we will do as advised.

Thanks.