ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child on Tier 4 to ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

estuarie

Child applying for ILR as PBS dependent while on Tier4

Post by estuarie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Dear senior members,

I got my ILR in September 2019 as a Tier 1 Entrepreneur, accelerated route. My partner will be eligible for ILR next October. We have a son who has been on a Tier 4 visa which is valid till Jan 2021. My understanding is that our son can apply for his ILR together with (or anytime after) my partner, but it appears he cannot do it straight from Tier 4 and needs to get a PBS dependent visa first and only then apply for ILR. Is that correct and will the PBS visa fee + IHS be inevitable waste here? Could you recommend any way of optimisation?

If you believe this question would be more appropriate in the ILR section, please feel free to move it there.

I would greatly appreciate your advice

zimba
Mood:

Re: Child applying for ILR as PBS dependent while on Tier4

Post by zimba » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 pm

Tier 4 cannot lead to ILR. If the child is under 18, he needs to switch to PBS dependant in order to get ILR with your partner.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:07 pm

If your son is over 18, then he cannot apply for a PBS dependent visa or ilr based on the parents ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

estuarie

Post by estuarie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm

He is way below 18, I should have mentioned.

Sad, but nonetheless thank you. £3k+ to throw away, shame

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 am

estuarie wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm
He is way below 18, I should have mentioned.

Sad, but nonetheless thank you. £3k+ to throw away, shame
Well what was the point of putting him under Tier 4 anyway ??! PBS dependants have the right to study in the UK without restrictions :?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

estuarie

Post by estuarie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 am

I know they can. It is a long story how he ended up on Tier 4, but this is where we are now.

estuarie

Child on Tier 4 to ILR

Post by estuarie » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Hello,

I already asked about my child's situation some time ago and would like to add another question in the light of some new ideas.

Can a child under 16 and on a student visa apply for ILR under paragraph 298 of Part 8 of the Immigration Rules? One parent is already settled as PBS and the other parent is applying for ILR as PBS dependent spouse at the same time as the child.

Many thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Child on Tier 4 to ILR

Post by zimba » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:02 am

No, as the child has leave under Tier 4 and then does not qualify under the provisions of paragraph 298.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members

estuarie

Post by estuarie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:53 am

Which exact requirement of 298 he does not meet?

Under (ii) a child is supposed to have a limited leave and be under 18. It does not specify what kind of leave.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:50 am

estuarie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:53 am
Which exact requirement of 298 he does not meet?

Under (ii) a child is supposed to have a limited leave and be under 18. It does not specify what kind of leave.
My mistake. I misread all those 'or's in the rules as 'and's for some reason. Corona brain fog :oops:
I believe SET(F) should succeed

estuarie

Post by estuarie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:16 am

That's really cool. Thank you