ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child with British passport and OCI moving to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Deepgr
Newly Registered
India

Child with British passport and OCI moving to India

Post by Deepgr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi all,

My husband and both my kids are British citizens with OCI cards while I am still a PBS dependent waiting to apply for my ILR in a couple of months. We are planning to move to India permanently after my PR. I have a few questions-

Is my British husband eligible to work in India or would he need a work permit?

Would there be any legality for my kids as they would be studying and living in India?

Would this affect their British citizenship in any way?

Is there any minimum time that they have to come to UK like once or twice a year

Please kindly advice so that we can make the right decision. We want to live with our families in India while also having the option for the kids to move here hassle free incase they plan to study in universities here in UK.

Thanks in advance
Deep

xebec
Australia

Re: Child with British passport and OCI moving to India

Post by xebec » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Deepgr wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:23 pm
Is my British husband eligible to work in India or would he need a work permit?
He is eligible to work on an OCI barring any government positions. Make sure he gets a PAN card to work in India as that will be needed to file taxes. You can apply for a PAN card from the UK and they will post it to you from India.
Would there be any legality for my kids as they would be studying and living in India?
They will be treated on par with NRIs (non-resident Indian). If a school has a policy of charging an NRIs higher fees, then those higher fees would apply to you too. Some schools might not understand the full implications of an OCI as an equivalent of an NRI, so make sure you collect all the documentation from Indian government sites that state that the OCI is treated on par with NRIs.

Make sure your family applies for an Aadhaar card as soon as you can. This will make life simpler. You won't need to carry your OCI everywhere as ID proof.
Would this affect their British citizenship in any way?
Not at all. It could affect pension eligibility at a later stage though.
Is there any minimum time that they have to come to UK like once or twice a year
Not required as they have citizenship and that is valid for life. You haven't mentioned if your kids are British Citizens by Birth - which I assume is the case. Something to keep in mind on a long term basis: they would not be able to pass on British citizenship to their children if they haven't lived in the UK for three straight years before they give birth to your grandchildren.

However, you could lose your ILR if you have been outside the UK for a long time.

If your children were born in the UK, I would strongly recommend that you get their birth certificates apostilled. This way the document cannot be refused in India, as courts enforce the apostille. The same goes with your marriage certificate if issued in the UK.

Deepgr
Newly Registered
India

Re: Child with British passport and OCI moving to India

Post by Deepgr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. Answers almost all my queries.