ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Abbreviations of surname - counted as "other names"

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eb123
Newly Registered

Date of first arrival in UK

Post by eb123 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello,
I am applying for BC and almost ready to submit but just one concern over 1 question. If anyone can advise please would be very grateful.
The online form asks for the date of first arrival in the UK. The guidance notes say that this is the first arrival with the view of staying long term.

My situation isn't straight forward:
Some short holidays in 2009 on visit visas to meet in-laws.
My spouse visa application was in November 2010, but it required an appeal that lasted 14 months. The spouse visa was issued in January 2012. The long appeal process involved a change to our family circumstances, so by the time the spouse visa was issued we no longer had a viable life in the UK. We settled in mainland Europe during the appeal and once the visa was issued in Jan 12 we started looking at new job offers in the UK. This involved making short trips to the UK for family visits and for my husband's job interviews. These short visits, using the spouse visa, started from Feb 12.
However we were not in a position to live in the UK again until December 13, which is what we did. An FLR application shortly followed, and ILR was based on living in the UK since Dec 13.
So for the first arrival question, should we use:
- The first holiday in 2009
- The first visit on the spouse visa in Feb 12, using the spouse visa, looking for jobs etc.
- The first arrival where we actually resided in the UK, in December 13?

Much appreciate any advice :)

eb123
Newly Registered

Re: Date of first arrival in UK

Post by eb123 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Sorry extra question. Should passport uploads cover since the first arrival date, or just the 3 years residence requirement?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 pm

First arrival in UK = your third option, i.e. December 2013.
Passport scans = to cover the three years residence requirement.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

eb123
Newly Registered

Post by eb123 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 am

Thank you v much :)
Is it worth a covering letter explaining the use of the spouse visa for visits?

Since Dec 13 I've only spent 3 days outside the UK, 2 months ago. My current passport has these stamps, my previous passport has no stamps at all because it was issued in March 14. The place of issue says London though, so it shows I was here.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:43 am

I assume that with a valid spouse visa you can enter and leave the country at will so not clear why you should explain, unless you broke the terms of the visa.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

eb123
Newly Registered

Post by eb123 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am

Didn't break any terms, that I know of. The FLR and ILR went smoothly anyway.
My concern is because the spouse visa's purpose was to move to the UK. The reason for initial rejection was because UKBA didn't believe my husband was going to reside in the UK with me, as he was still in contract with overseas employer. After winning the appeal, we then ended up just using it for visits for 18 months. I just I had a thought that these short visits might be frowned upon, because of the initial rejection reason.
My father in law passed away during the visa process. It was him that was providing accommodation and job offer, so we had to rebuild our future in the UK.
I'm obviously overthinking it. Just at £1300 a pop I don't want to get anything wrong.
Thanks again for the advice

eb123
Newly Registered

Abbreviations of surname - counted as "other names"

Post by eb123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Hoped someone could advise with this please.
My family name, as in my passport, is very lengthy. My surname has 4 "words" in total. This has led to problems such as DVLA not fitting the surname on my licence. Only the 1st word of my family name is on my licence, although I applied with full name and passport as ID.

For the same reason I am on the electoral role only with 1st word of family name. They had to see an ID, the passport name was too lengthy, so they used my driving licence.

Council tax has first 2 words of surname.
LIFUK certificate has first 2 words (gained ILR with this).
English test certificate has full name.

These are all not different names, just limitations on their system.
Should I put them down as other names on the naturalisation form?
Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Abbreviations of surname - counted as "other names"

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:04 pm

You need to state your name and surname in the form as it appears in your passport.

Can you also please keep all your questions in ONE thread/topic. It is not necessary to start a new topic with each question you have!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eb123
Newly Registered

Post by eb123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank you. Sorry will keep it all in 1 thread.
Yes for my name was going to copy exactly as in passport.
I should have been more specific. The form asks if I've ever been known by another name, an alias.
DVLA know me as a different name to my passport, because of their system limit. So should I add this variation as an "other name" that I'm known by.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:33 pm

The other names question is if you legally changed your name or if you married and changed your name. It is not about nick names or name abbreviations.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eb123
Newly Registered

Post by eb123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks again. Very helpful