ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS Family Permit immediately after marriage

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PurpleRain2
Newly Registered
Thailand

EUSS Family Permit immediately after marriage

Post by PurpleRain2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am

I am a Thai national residing in my home country, and my partner is a German national who has been residing in the UK for almost 40 years. He was granted a pre-settled status (although told he is eligible for a settled status but there is an 'error in the system', if that makes any difference) earlier this year.

We have been seeing each other for 2.5 years, about 6 months out of a year when he visits me and the rest of the time long-distance.

We are due to get married in Hong Kong next month in January. Immediately following our marriage, I plan to return to my home country and apply for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit immediately - a few days after returning if possible. Once granted, I plan to enter the UK with him (or following him) and apply for a pre-settled status. I have never been to Europe before.

Are there any issues anyone can foresee with this method? I realize there may be difficulty in proving that this is not a marriage of convenience given how soon after our marriage I will be applying, but will plenty of photographs, chat/call logs during our time apart and plane tickets showing his visits suffice as evidence? Would it help to submit affidavits from family members who can confirm our relationship?

Many thanks in advance!

kamoe

Re: EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit immediately after marriage

Post by kamoe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am

PurpleRain2 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am
Are there any issues anyone can foresee with this method?
Every case is different, but from what you describe there is nothing particularly problematic in your case from my point of view.
I realize there may be difficulty in proving that this is not a marriage of convenience given how soon after our marriage I will be applying
Recent wedding is not an issue per se. Given you have a history of 2.5 years of relationship, there is nothing necessarily suspicious about it. It would be an issue if you had met say, only a month ago, and got married, then applied immediately after your wedding.
, but will plenty of photographs, chat/call logs during our time apart and plane tickets showing his visits suffice as evidence? Would it help to submit affidavits from family members who can confirm our relationship?
This all helps, but obviously, keep to whatever checklist of necessary documents they supply when you apply. Also, Keep it to very curated evidence, you don't need to send thousands of photographs or chats, just a good few that are relevant and particularly meaningful, like the two of you on holiday at different destinations, or in family gatherings. A few pieces of evidence evenly spread over those two years are better than a ton just relevant to the last month. Pictures of the wedding with both of your parents is also strong proof.

Good luck.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.